Joe Johnston On Possible "Winter Soldier" Movie.

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
So Joe Johnston sat down with the guys at SR and had this to say about a possible Winter Soldier movie.

"I told the Marvel guys that there is a character that I’m really interested in called ‘The Winter Soldier’ and that if, ‘you guys decide to make that picture I would definitely be interested.’ It’s the ‘Bucky’ Barnes story."

“Just a little bit. We talked about ‘The Winter Soldier’ which is the continuation of what his story is. It’s basically that he is captured by the Russians and he’s brainwashed and turned into an assassin. But you know there are a thousand ways to go with that. I just think that it would be interesting to take a character that was in ‘Captain America’ and build a story around him. Plus, I like Sebastian Stan a lot (who played Bucky) I think he would be an interesting actor to build another feature around.”
http://screenrant.com/captain-america-2-director-joe-johnston-the-winter-soldier-rothc-123912/

I don't know about a Winter Soldier movie. I'd rather he be the subject of the third Captain America movie. Then maybe they could do a fourth where he becomes Captain America. That would be awesome and it would give Marvel a reason to bring him back and be Cap again! :awesome:

Yeah, I don't see Winter Soldier as a full-budget feature film. Villain in a future Cap sequel...? Sure.

Or better yet: I'd like to see Marvel start running some low-budget (say $10-30ish mill) DVD/blu-ray (and/or TV movies) features for lesser heroes and villains, that are *loosely* tied to the larger Marvel Film Universe. With Winter Soldier being one such feature.

Yeah, I don't see Winter Soldier as a full-budget feature film. Villain in a future Cap sequel...? Sure.

Or better yet: I'd like to see Marvel start running some low-budget (say $10-30ish mill) DVD/blu-ray (and/or TV movies) features for lesser heroes and villains, that are *loosely* tied to the larger Marvel Film Universe. With Winter Soldier being one such feature.

That's basically the plan for after The Avengers, lower budgeted films (basically $30 mil) for the B and C listers in the Marvel U. Though they'll probably keep them theatrical.

This is like War Machine getting his own movie which is unlikely.

Could be interesting. They could probably go a bit more hardcore than they're planning to with the Cap movie.

WINTER SOLDIER would make my day!!!

great art by John Paul Leon!!!

This is like War Machine getting his own movie which is unlikely.

Not really, the nature of the Winter soldier story is more "definative" and presents a better movie.

THe nature of the character also makes a tighter budget and less cgi more do able.

both have issues, the general public probably doesnt know the difference between the two. And probably hasnt heard of either.

I say you just keep them in the main movies.

I prefer the time when captain america thinks Bucky is dead, characters like Bucky and Jason should have never come back to life

I prefer the time when captain america thinks Bucky is dead, characters like Bucky and Jason should have never come back to life

I tend to agree with you in regards to Jason Todd, not so much Bucky.

The difference being, imho: when DC brought back Todd it was more for shock value, when Marvel brought back Bucky, they actually told good stories with the character.

205344_446113378752908_196703297_n.jpg

I tend to agree with you in regards to Jason Todd, not so much Bucky.

The difference being, imho: when DC brought back Todd it was more for shock value, when Marvel brought back Bucky, they actually told good stories with the character.

Plus the way in which Bucky was brought back was way better than Todd's, I mean punching the walls of reality? Really?

So it's official then. Wow. So what does Winter Soldier even look like? Oh I guess I could just Google that huh.

Hmm reminds me of a younger version of The Comedian from Watchmen. Is a movie about this version of Bucky in high demand? Would anyone see this?

Hmm reminds me of a younger version of The Comedian from Watchmen. Is a movie about this version of Bucky in high demand? Would anyone see this?
Not sure there is but he becomes popular enough after appearing in the CA movies, there's always a possibility. I think Joe Johnston wanted to a movie(s) based on some of WS's missions from the Cold War.

Not sure how interesting that'd be but I'll see it if they make it. :p

The reason I question bringing WS into the mix is the fact that WS' story is largely tied to the death of Cap, and his reaction to it. I don't think he makes a compelling villain otherwise.

Wait. Would WS be a villain in this? Given that his name's the title, and that Cap is frozen and unable to fight him...who would the hero be if WS is the villain? Forgive my lack of knowledge about WS. :(

..hopefully Cap 2 has some good flashbacks to Bucky's history as the winter soldier-- possibly also a "short film" about a WS mission when the DVD comes out..

Still confused. Who will be the protagonist of Cap 2 is Cap is a Cap-cicle and Bucky is evil?

Still confused. Who will be the protagonist of Cap 2 is Cap is a Cap-cicle and Bucky is evil?
CA 2 takes place after The Avengers so Cap is thawed and working for SHIELD. Not sure how hard that was to follow. There's been talk of a possible spin-off movie with Bucky/WS being the protagonist/anti-hero, which is what this thread was initially started to talk about.

Wait. Would WS be a villain in this? Given that his name's the title, and that Cap is frozen and unable to fight him...who would the hero be if WS is the villain? Forgive my lack of knowledge about WS. :(

He was a villain when he first came back, he was sent to kill Cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"