Joe Johnston On Possible "Winter Soldier" Movie.

CA 2 takes place after The Avengers so Cap is thawed and working for SHIELD. Not sure how hard that was to follow. There's been talk of a possible spin-off movie with Bucky/WS being the protagonist/anti-hero, which is what this thread was initially started to talk about.

But I thought CA2 was just announced to be called Captain America: the Winter Soldier. So if it takes place after Avengers how could Winter Soldier be in it?

But I thought CA2 was just announced to be called Captain America: the Winter Soldier. So if it takes place after Avengers how could Winter Soldier be in it?

Because the Russians kept the Winter Soldier in suspended animation for the greater part of 70 years, only thawing him out on occasion when they needed him to go on a mission. In the comics he appeared in the modern times, and not in the past, for that very reason.

And what's the problem with him being in it? WS had been kept in cryogenic stasis when not on missions so he'd appear not much older than he was when he "died" in CA:TFA, which would probably cause CA not to believe it's Bucky. That is what allows Bucky/WS to be used in CA2. If you want a full history on Winter Soldier, go here:

http://marvel.wikia.com/James_Buchanan_Barnes_(Earth-616)

I just wonder if they're going to include Black Widow's history with the Winter Soldier. I'd love to see that story play out.

Thanks for explaining. Given that in my earlier post I stated how I knew little to nothing about Winter Soldier's backstory/details I would think that for you to assume I knew that he too was cryogenically frozen would be a bit much to expect of me. But now I know. Do cut me a break. I'm just not that familiar with the character and he fits into the Cap universe.

I just wonder if they're going to include Black Widow's history with the Winter Soldier. I'd love to see that story play out.
CA2 would be a perfect film for ScarJo/BW to appear in if indeed they want to include some kind of history between her and WS. Maybe even have Jeremy Renner/Hawkeye too so they could possibly expand on their Budapest comment during the NYC battle in TA.

Not giving you a hard time. Just elucidating. :)

Maybe even have Jeremy Renner/Hawkeye too so they could possibly expand on their Budapest comment during the NYC battle in TA.

Nah, no need for that. They're spies. We know they've been on tons of missions before. There's no reason to spell out one particular mission just because it was mentioned in an off-the-cuff manner one time. They were in Budapest, side-by-side, shooting bad guys. That's pretty much all there is to know about that. Nor do I think Hawkeye would fit in much with a Captain America movie. Particularly a Winter Soldier movie. If Black Widow were to be in it, it'd be only because of her relationship with the Winter Soldier, nothing else, just as the main plot would be about Cap's relationship with the Winter Soldier as his former best friend. Hawkeye would be extraneous to that.

Not sure it'll work that way, though. In the MCU, Winter Soldier is a product of HYDRA, not the Soviets. It's not likely that MCU Black Widow would've ever encountered WS at all.

I don't want the film to be too crowded. Are they going with a more Mission Impossible route with this franchise, which featured the supporting cast more and more as the series progressed? It actually worked in that franchise, regardless if Hollywood believed Cruise could no longer carry the franchise, antics and all.

Renner/ScarJo are pretty big stars now so it may not be economical to bring them both back. I do want a Black Widow origin movie, but I was thinking more of a prequel along the lines of Hanna (Saoirse Ronan spy movie), since the character went on the run at that young an age.

I suspect Bucky won't be discovered in the hands of the Russians, but rather of AIM, Zola having eventually found his wayward experiment. That would fit with the rumors of AIM and/or MODOK.

So Joe Johnston sat down with the guys at SR and had this to say about a possible Winter Soldier movie.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-2-director-joe-johnston-the-winter-soldier-rothc-123912/
He pointed this out in the Cap Amer. Commentary. He said that here Bucky was clearly experimented on by Zola with some form of the Super Soldier serum, clearly something happened to him he said. Then when Bucky falls to his death he commented that of coarse he isn't dead and this leads to his becoming Winter Soldier. So I thinks its all set, they should totally do it, before the actor gets too old for the part or something.

And maybe some day Stan might become Bucky Cap in an Avengers sequel once Evans contract is up.

I suspect Bucky won't be discovered in the hands of the Russians, but rather of AIM, Zola having eventually found his wayward experiment. That would fit with the rumors of AIM and/or MODOK.

Not a bad idea. I'm curious. Has MODOK ever been in a Cap story in any way/shape/form in the comics?

Seems like Joe Johnson won't be making the winter soldier movie he wanted

Johnston made a great Captain America film and it would be a real shame if he's not on board the sequel. He sounded really excited to continue the story with The Winter Soldier. He would be the ideal director to tell that story. He's more than proved his chops.

It's on That Other Website (Which Cannot Be Linked), but I just read Brubaker's Twitter reaction to news of Winter Soldier:

HOLY ****
@devincf That shows you how in the loop I am. Great to hear, though.
Tell Kevin I said "thanks for the surprise" if you can. I pretty much **** my pants.

That's kinda messed up, you would think they could have given him a heads up at least.

Johnston made a great Captain America film

Falsehood!

Johnston made the weakest MCU film after IM2. Its 5.5/10 at the very best.

Also, why is the name Johnston still popping up in this thread anyway? This mans plans or opinions are not relevant anymore.

I guess you all have now to aspire to the glorious Russo Brothers. :o

"You, Me and Dupree" - What a great track record.

I am still baffled by how Marvel could come up with those two hacks.

Not a bad idea. I'm curious. Has MODOK ever been in a Cap story in any way/shape/form in the comics?

He was introduced in the Cap serial in Tales of Suspense, shortly before it became Cap's solo book...

And IF MODOK appears in any Marvel movie, he MUST stay true to Kirby's classic design!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"