Joe Manganiello IS Deathstroke

Watch Affleck walk away and they have Manganiello take over Batman.

Um you just recommended Kat Dennings, Christina Hendricks and Kelly Brook for Ivy and by your admission you'd be fine with Megan Fox as well.
giphy.gif

Um you just recommended Kat Dennings, Christina Hendricks and Kelly Brook for Ivy and by your admission you'd be fine with Megan Fox as well.

None of them are qualified to be Ivy? They could of done better with slade than this Clown.

While I agree that Manganiello is a terrible actor, two actresses and a photo model you mentioned are just as bad, if not worse.

While I agree that Manganiello is a terrible actor, two actresses and a photo model you mentioned are just as bad, if not worse.

I always liked Joe as a comedic actor (I find that doing comedy is as hard, if not more than doing drama) and I used to be in the "Pitt for Deathstroke" train, until a friend of mine showed some clips from True Blood and Joe was pretty damn solid in them, that got me into the Joe for Deathstroke train shortly before he was cast, so I'm pretty ok with it.

I'm also sure Ben had a say in his casting, so there's that.

I always liked Joe as a comedic actor (I find that doing comedy is as hard, if not more than doing drama) and I used to be in the "Pitt for Deathstroke" train, until a friend of mine showed some clips from True Blood and Joe was pretty damn solid in them, that got me into the Joe for Deathstroke train shortly before he was cast, so I'm pretty ok with it.

I'm also sure Ben had a say in his casting, so there's that.

I wouldn't agree with that assessment about comedy and drama. In any case, I don't recall seeing him pull off a solid performance in anything, but he'll probably be serviceable when it comes to this role. It's not like there is much range needed for Deathstroke.

I wouldn't agree with that assessment about comedy and drama. In any case, I don't recall seeing him pull off a solid performance in anything, but he'll probably be serviceable when it comes to this role. It's not like there is much range needed for Deathstroke.

Is what one of my acting teachers use to tell me, and based on personal experience and doing both extensively, I'm gonna stick by that.

(Depends on the kind of comedy, of course)

If this version of the character is based on the Arkham games Deathstroke like I expect him to be, then I agree. If he is based on the best versions of the character that he should be based on like Wolfmans, Geoff Johns or Priests Deathstroke (to name a few), or the good versions of the character that have appeared on TV shows, then I am interested to hear why you say this.

Last edited:
Is what one of my acting teachers use to tell me, and based on personal experience and doing both extensively, I'm gonna stick by that.

(Depends on the kind of comedy, of course)

Well, I admit you have better insight into it than myself, I just always thought that pretty much everyone can naturally pull off some sort of comedic performance, while dramatic acting requires more couching. But, yeah, I guess it all depends on work in question.

If this version of the character is based on the Arkham games Deathstroke like I expect him to be, then I agree. If he is based on the best versions of the character that he should be based on like Wolfmans, Geoff Johns or Priests Deathstroke (to name a few), or the good versions of the character that have appeared on TV shows, then I am interested to hear why you say this.

Though I'm not much familiar with Deathstroke, I know his story and if they want to tell it then I can see why they would need an actor with a sufficient range that could depict a conflicted, complex character, but I suspect they're going to make him DCEU's Terminator, a la "Arkham Games", for which Manganiello should be good enough.

Deathstroke has always been DC's Terminator. That's literally what they called him in a solo run. Deathstroke The Terminator.

Deathstroke has always been DC's Terminator. That's literally what they called him in a solo run. Deathstroke The Terminator.

Well, yeah, but what I mean is that they probably won't flesh out the character much, but will keep him solely the badass killing machine.

Well, I admit you have better insight into it than myself, I just always thought that pretty much everyone can naturally pull off some sort of comedic performance, while dramatic acting requires more couching. But, yeah, I guess it all depends on work in question.

Well, yeah, it would seem like that, but look at it this way; when you're doing a dramatic, intense scene, your performance is riding on the waves of the setting and the built-in tension and the script, that facilitates you connecting with those specific emotions, while when doing comedy - particularly absurd comedy - your performance, your demeanor and body language often go in contrast of the words you're saying and the flow of the situation; you're moving in 2 opposite directions and you have to be convincing (and many times, keep a straight face) while doing it, which is VERY tough and kind of unnatural (why actors break during rehearsals/shooting all the time).

In general I think you can find more examples of actors know for comedy succeeding at drama than the other way around.

Though I'm not much familiar with Deathstroke, I know his story and if they want to tell it then I can see why they would need an actor with a sufficient range that could depict a conflicted, complex character, but I suspect they're going to make him DCEU's Terminator, a la "Arkham Games", for which Manganiello should be good enough.

Ya know, it depends a lot of what the story demands of the character that'll influence which aspects of the character will be brought up and put op front; maybe Joe excels at what the filmmakers specifically want from this Deathstroke; honestly, in these kind of films, how the actor/character comes across goes 50/50 for the actors and the director/editor/music.

Well, yeah, it would seem like that, but look at it this way; when you're doing a dramatic, intense scene, your performance is riding on the waves of the setting and the built-in tension and the script, that facilitates you connecting with those specific emotions, while when doing comedy - particularly absurd comedy - your performance, your demeanor and body language often go in contrast of the words you're saying and the flow of the situation; you're moving in 2 opposite directions and you have to be convincing (and many times, keep a straight face) while doing it, which is VERY tough and kind of unnatural (why actors break during rehearsals/shooting all the time).

In general I think you can find more examples of actors know for comedy succeeding at drama than the other way around.

I never looked at it this way, it actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for a very clear explanation. :up:
And I'd say you're right about examples of comedic actors doing drama more than other way around.

Ya know, it depends a lot of what the story demands of the character that'll influence which aspects of the character will be brought up and put op front; maybe Joe excels at what the filmmakers specifically want from this Deathstroke; honestly, in these kind of films, how the actor/character comes across goes 50/50 for the actors and the director/editor/music.

There is truth to that.

I never looked at it this way, it actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for a very clear explanation. :up:
And I'd say you're right about examples of comedic actors doing drama more than other way around.

Anytime, dude :cwink:

There is truth to that.

I'm with a very "wait and see" attitude about these castings nowadays; or maybe I get REALLY excited sometimes and then "wait and see" other times (getting outraged over something which outcome I can't possibly know seems stupid to me), since I think we've all been wrong plenty of times before about CBM's castings, like Keaton or Ledger, or 2 personal instances, Affleck and Will Smith.

Well, yeah, but what I mean is that they probably won't flesh out the character much, but will keep him solely the badass killing machine.

That would be a tremendous waste. I'd like to see him portrayed with some depth. Think along the lines of a villainous version of Berenthal's Punisher, only not sympathetic.

The statements they made previously about Deathstroke serving as a sort of parallel to Batman seem to point to some depth.

Wait, so has a glorified and over the hill male model been cast as Deathstroke? That would be a shame.

RI: How is your training going right now? Are you focused on playing Deathstroke in the Batman movie, or is that too far off?

JM: No, I’ve started. My trainer and I have started putting together some workouts that are specific to the character and how I want the character to move. It’s an incredibly athletic role so all of the training is very functional. I’ve also started Kung fu and chi gung training, and I’ve also started working with katanas.

RI: How do you feel with the katanas? Pretty good?

JM: I’m gonna be ready.

RI: You’re now entering the DC Extended Universe, which includes Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad– those movies have been successful, but have had a very rough time critically.

JM: As far as what other people think, I can’t comment, I’m just me. I’m very excited for this role. I’m very excited to be working with the people I’m going to be working with. I’ve known Jon Berg (producer) prior to joining the DCEU. I met everyone, Zack Snyder included, when Man of Steel came out. I’ve known them all for years and I’m very excited to work with everyone. Ben Affleck makes great films and he’s a great Batman. Geoff Johns certainly is a really fun guy to hang around with and has a great grasp on this steering wheel that is the Titanic of the DCEU. Knowing what they have planned for the future, I think fans are really gonna love. There were a lot of superhero and supervillain roles that came my way and my gut said those were not the right fit for me. This one was perfect. This was exactly what I was looking for.

RI: And you get to make him your own because he’s never been portrayed in a live-action film before.

JM: Yeah, I guess there was a TV show but I haven’t seen it. I won’t watch it. This is my character, an exciting one, and has the capacity I think, to be a great villain. And what all the great ones can do is polarize an audience. When I was a kid I always rooted for the villain. As a kid I think I would have rooted for him and I think fans will.

RI: You said in an interview last year that you might start filming in the spring. Other recent reports show the script might not be there.

JM: Last year, I said May and that was my understanding. It depends. They have big plans for this movie. Whether or not we start exactly on that date or in June, whatever it is, it doesn’t matter. Here’s the thing: The creative process needs to be respected and no one involved in this film wants to make anything less than an unbelievable film, a legendary film. The movie will start shooting whenever those pieces are in place and we know this is gonna be something that we’re proud of. What we’re not gonna do is be backed into a start date, scrambling to get something off the ground just to get it off the ground. Everyone involved wants to make this the best film possible, so that’s really what it’s about. It’s funny how the media likes to run with, “Oh there’s trouble!” “Oh, the script needs to be revised!” They’re drama queens. There’s a creative process, and everyone on the cast and crew wants to make this the best movie possible. So that’s what we’re gonna do. When we start shooting it, we’ll start shooting it. It will be soon, I can say that. Here’s the thing: No one wants to create that superhero movie that’s polarizing to fans and critics. Rest assured, we’re gonna do this thing right.

http://chefirvine.com/magazine/joe-manganiello-the-ri-magazine-interview

There's some other cool stuff in there. His workout routine, staying in shape over 40, working on kid friendly projects for the fam, and volunteer work in children's hospitals.

Cool dude.

Question: Why is Deathstroke the villain on the Batman movie?
He ain't a Batman villain, he is a NIGHTWING/TITANS VILLAIN.

Question: Why is Deathstroke the villain on the Batman movie?
He ain't a Batman villain, he is a NIGHTWING/TITANS VILLAIN.

He's a DC Comics villain. If The Joker can show up in SUICIDE SQUAD, I don't see why Deathstroke can't be in a Batman movie.

Read between the lines. There may be a larger significance to his role in THE BATMAN, especially since it's rumored he shows up in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"