• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics John Byrne's Superman SUCKS!

sithgoblin

King of the Castle
Joined
Apr 30, 2000
Messages
11,236
Reaction score
1
Points
31
I just picked up Byrne's Superman Restart.

I'll say one thing in Byrne's favour - I really like the way he draws Superman. Perfect face, perfect build and perfect costume. But that's as far as it goes.

The dialogue is utter s**t. It is extremely corny and very forced.

The rest of the art isn't too great either. A lot of the people who don't like Birgthright say that it sucks because it is 'dated' to 2004. Well news flash, that s**t Lois wears is PURE 80s, and it dates Bryne's Superman as much as Lex using a mobile phone dates Birthright!!

I also hate they way they do Clark, with his hair all slicked back. He's way too confident, and he just looks bad. Jimmy is a joke. When I first saw him I thought he was a bloody leprechaun!!

:mad:
 
Are you going to get MAN OF STEEL Vol. 2? I don't think Byrne wrote any of it, just drew it all. I have most of the issues that are in it at home and I liked them a lot (of course, I also liked MAN OF STEEL....of course, it's also been a while since I read it).
 
I liked Volume One, personally, and the backstory for Krypton.
 
Originally posted by sithgoblin
I just picked up Byrne's Superman Restart.

I'll say one thing in Byrne's favour - I really like the way he draws Superman. Perfect face, perfect build and perfect costume. But that's as far as it goes.

The dialogue is utter s**t. It is extremely corny and very forced.

The rest of the art isn't too great either. A lot of the people who don't like Birgthright say that it sucks because it is 'dated' to 2004. Well news flash, that s**t Lois wears is PURE 80s, and it dates Bryne's Superman as much as Lex using a mobile phone dates Birthright!!

I also hate they way they do Clark, with his hair all slicked back. He's way too confident, and he just looks bad. Jimmy is a joke. When I first saw him I thought he was a bloody leprechaun!!

:mad:


good man :up: ;)
 
Originally posted by sithgoblin
I just picked up Byrne's Superman Restart.

I'll say one thing in Byrne's favour - I really like the way he draws Superman. Perfect face, perfect build and perfect costume. But that's as far as it goes.

The dialogue is utter s**t. It is extremely corny and very forced.

The rest of the art isn't too great either. A lot of the people who don't like Birgthright say that it sucks because it is 'dated' to 2004. Well news flash, that s**t Lois wears is PURE 80s, and it dates Bryne's Superman as much as Lex using a mobile phone dates Birthright!!

I also hate they way they do Clark, with his hair all slicked back. He's way too confident, and he just looks bad. Jimmy is a joke. When I first saw him I thought he was a bloody leprechaun!!

:mad:

Byrne’s Lois and Supes dynamic was great. I liked the part where Lois was all awe struck and stammering then yelled "come back " and Supes does, answering with a grin and a simple "yes" it was hilarious. I liked Supes confidence in his outings and his humour, reminded me of the movie a little bit.

A little correction is in order though, "the Birthright haters" don't complain that the work shows contemporary awareness, they complain that it does while being established as the new origin. Superman's current comic status still has him debuted during the 80, if Birthright is chosen as the new origin with cell phones and all a contradiction is creates, that’s why some are complaining ... that and because Birthright is a really "average" story. I don't like it myself, The only thing I like are the look of Krypton and the first issue with the African politician. The rest has been “so-so” so far. I also don't like Lex, I mean make him quite brilliant, that's fine but the stuff Waid makes him do is just a little too far out for my taste.
 
Originally posted by Superboy
Are you going to get MAN OF STEEL Vol. 2? I don't think Byrne wrote any of it, just drew it all. I have most of the issues that are in it at home and I liked them a lot (of course, I also liked MAN OF STEEL....of course, it's also been a while since I read it).
Reread Man of Steel. Mabye if I hadn't read Birthright first, it wouldn't have been so jarring. I'll check out Vol.2 if Byrne didn't write it. I do like his art.
 
Originally posted by ahw
Superman's current comic status still has him debuted during the 80
Not anymore. :p
 
I'm actually not enjoying Birthright that much anymore. The last issue, I read and felt as if something was missing from it. Maybe it's just me.
 
Originally posted by sithgoblin
Not anymore. :p

Sadly yes, everything that has occured past "Man of steel" is still in power, Superman debuted around the 80's together with Batman and the other modern age heroes. That's the point, DC is inconsistent with their revamp, just like they were back when Crisis occured.
 
Originally posted by sage1047
I'm actually not enjoying Birthright that much anymore. The last issue, I read and felt as if something was missing from it. Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you, Birthright is "average" writting, only a few things really shine but most of the stuff is too "tried and true".
 
I've got a nostalgic kick for Byrne's Superman stories, they work for me. I think he drew a great and dynamic Superman. Yeah maybe some of the dialogue is stiff and it's a little dated but it's almost twenty years old after all.

:eek:

S**T! I'm OLD!!
 
I agree with Sith. I reread MOS Vol.1 and 2 a couple of week ago and they sucked. I used to think there were great but now...ugh.
 
Originally posted by sithgoblin
I just picked up Byrne's Superman Restart.

I'll say one thing in Byrne's favour - I really like the way he draws Superman. Perfect face, perfect build and perfect costume. But that's as far as it goes.

The dialogue is utter s**t. It is extremely corny and very forced.

The rest of the art isn't too great either. A lot of the people who don't like Birgthright say that it sucks because it is 'dated' to 2004. Well news flash, that s**t Lois wears is PURE 80s, and it dates Bryne's Superman as much as Lex using a mobile phone dates Birthright!!

I also hate they way they do Clark, with his hair all slicked back. He's way too confident, and he just looks bad. Jimmy is a joke. When I first saw him I thought he was a bloody leprechaun!!

:mad:

AMEN!

God, Byrne is a hack. His interpertation of Superman is the worst of any with the exception of Peters. His idea that Superman should view his powers as a curse is so cliche it is vomit inducing. His Superman tries so hard to be serious that he ends up seeming stupid. Give me Eliot S. Maggin any day of the week over this crap. Or O'Neil's Sandman Superman saga, that is what Superman is all about. The only worthwhile thing Byrne did was turn Luthor into a buisness man rather than another version of the Ultra-Humanite. But even then, he took away Luthor's genious and his love for the great minds and replaced it with ruthless villian jerk 101. Byrne must burn!!!:mad:
 
I liked Byrne's Superman. I liked the cold-hearted Krypton, made them distinct from humans. I liked the idea that Ma Kent sewed the costume from earth cloth personally. Birthright's origin of the costume is cool as well.
 
It is unfair to say that something is "dated". Of course it is. Writing styles change, so do artists dynamcis. It's like watching a movie from the 70's. Star wars was a great film. But have any of you even seen a buster brown hair cut? (10 points to anyone born after 1980 who knows who Buster Brown is)

And as for thigns being cliche? well it is NOW. nearly 20 years later. It wasn't THEN. When most of you were still gleams in your mama's eye. It was innovative and fresh. We hadn't seen that in Superman before.

You have to look at the STORY. John Byrn's story is far superior to what Birth Right is. the "S" is not a Krypton Symbol. Lex Luthor is 20 years older than Clark. That's right folks. He knew Perry white when they were kids. Birth Right is nothing but a cheap tactic to cash in on the popularity of the Smallville TV show. I love the show. some of the best writing on TV right now. soem good buddies work on that show. But it should be seperate. We went through the same things when Lois and Clark was on the air. And all that is now forgotten. That too may be before your time.

Here's something to ponder. If Lex and Clark knew each other in Smallville. How is the secret kept? All my classmates from HS look the same after 15 years. We know that Clark didn't ge fat or go bald. So he looks the same. And no one knows...

Focus on the story that is there. I find Birth Right to be weak. OVERLY cliche and predictable. Nothing fresh that hasn't already been told on Smallville (of major importance anyway). There is no problem with retooling Superman's origin. But this is what the 4th or 5th time in a year? Sorry. Byrne did the best job thus far.
 
Originally posted by Screenscribe
It is unfair to say that something is "dated". Of course it is. Writing styles change, so do artists dynamcis. It's like watching a movie from the 70's. Star wars was a great film. But have any of you even seen a buster brown hair cut? (10 points to anyone born after 1980 who knows who Buster Brown is)

And as for thigns being cliche? well it is NOW. nearly 20 years later. It wasn't THEN. When most of you were still gleams in your mama's eye. It was innovative and fresh. We hadn't seen that in Superman before.

You have to look at the STORY. John Byrn's story is far superior to what Birth Right is. the "S" is not a Krypton Symbol. Lex Luthor is 20 years older than Clark. That's right folks. He knew Perry white when they were kids. Birth Right is nothing but a cheap tactic to cash in on the popularity of the Smallville TV show. I love the show. some of the best writing on TV right now. soem good buddies work on that show. But it should be seperate. We went through the same things when Lois and Clark was on the air. And all that is now forgotten. That too may be before your time.

Here's something to ponder. If Lex and Clark knew each other in Smallville. How is the secret kept? All my classmates from HS look the same after 15 years. We know that Clark didn't ge fat or go bald. So he looks the same. And no one knows...

Focus on the story that is there. I find Birth Right to be weak. OVERLY cliche and predictable. Nothing fresh that hasn't already been told on Smallville (of major importance anyway). There is no problem with retooling Superman's origin. But this is what the 4th or 5th time in a year? Sorry. Byrne did the best job thus far.

While I agree that Le knowing Clark when they were young is a bad idea, Byrne didn't fix things the way you make it out to be, he thought that Superman wasn't dark enough... I have to ask myself exactly why he thought Superman should be dark. Superman isn't without his own moral doubts at times, but he certianly isn't the unlikely hero Byrne made him. I hate that the S came from Earth, it takes away one of Superman's best characteristics, that he was born as Superman and that Clark Kent is his disguise. Neil Adam's Superman Sandman Saga was ten thousand times better.
 
I forced myself to read Vol. 1 and it was quite painful :confused:
I couldn't even finish Vol. 2 :(
I guess they must have been good during their time, but they're just silly now.
Like his Characterization of Batman. "I admit it's a bit Machiavellian.."
Wtf? :confused:
 
Originally posted by Ben Urich
I forced myself to read Vol. 1 and it was quite painful :confused:
I couldn't even finish Vol. 2 :(
I guess they must have been good during their time, but they're just silly now.
Like his Characterization of Batman. "I admit it's a bit Machiavellian.."
Wtf? :confused:

What's so bad about that part? I think it had a nice dry sense of humor.
 
Originally posted by sage1047
I liked Byrne's Superman. I liked the cold-hearted Krypton, made them distinct from humans. I liked the idea that Ma Kent sewed the costume from earth cloth personally.

Bryne's Superman is THE best thing that DC has done in the past 25 years. Nuff Said!
 
Let's see:

-Better Krypton and better design

-Better Lex Luthor. I prefer Byrne's Luthor. Murdered the parents to get the money and all.

-Better first appearence. Superman first appearence should be a HUGE event like stopping a Space Bus from crashing in the middle of metropolis. I defnitely prefer Man of steel's Superman's first appearence than Birthright.

-Better Superman character. Don't like the bumbling kent. I prefer the "Superman is what i do and Clark is who i am" line.

So, in my oppinion Byrne's Man of Steel is much better than birthright.
 
Originally posted by ahw
What's so bad about that part? I think it had a nice dry sense of humor.

It wasn't funny, it was sad, because it was so stupid.
Batman was so ridiculously out of character, and in general Byrne's Superman is an abomination that should be forgotten.
 
Originally posted by Ben Urich
It wasn't funny, it was sad, because it was so stupid.
Batman was so ridiculously out of character, and in general Byrne's Superman is an abomination that should be forgotten.

What was so out of character about it?
 
Originally posted by SpiderDaniel
Let's see:

-Better Krypton and better design

-Better Lex Luthor. I prefer Byrne's Luthor. Murdered the parents to get the money and all.

-Better first appearence. Superman first appearence should be a HUGE event like stopping a Space Bus from crashing in the middle of metropolis. I defnitely prefer Man of steel's Superman's first appearence than Birthright.

-Better Superman character. Don't like the bumbling kent. I prefer the "Superman is what i do and Clark is who i am" line.

So, in my oppinion Byrne's Man of Steel is much better than birthright.
And that... is why you fail...

/Yoda
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"