John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

Prince of Darkness isn't my favorite Carpenter films, but damn is super creepy and atmospheric and for alone its in my top 5 favorites. Easily one of his most atmospheric films next to The Fog IMO.

My Carpenter Rankings:
1. The Thing
2. Halloween
3. Escape from New York
4. The Fog
5. Prince of Darkness
6. Big Trouble In Little China
7. Assault On Precinct 13
8.Christine
9. They Live
10. In the Mouth of Madness
11. Vampires
12. Body Bags
13. Starman
14. Village of the Damned
15. Escape from L.A.
16. Memoirs of an Invisible Man
17. The Ward
18. Ghosts of Mars

Prince of Darkness is probably my #2 Carpenter film after The Fog (my all-time favourite horror film).

I appreciate someone having their favourite Carpenter movie not be Halloween or The Thing for once. Alas, I cannot be quite such a maverick in my rankings lol.

My Carpenter Rankings:

1. Halloween
2. The Thing
3. Prince of Darkness
4. Escape from New York
5. Assault on Precinct 13
6. The Fog
7. Christine
8. In the Mouth of Madness
8. Big Trouble in Little China
10. Vampires
11. Escape from L.A.
12. Ghosts of Mars
13. They Live
14. Starman
15. Village of the Damned
16. The Ward
17. Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Yeah I like Ghosts of Mars a lot. Sue me. Escape and Assault's positions could swap places, depending on my mood. Haven't seen Body Bags in an age, so I won't even bother to rank that. Though I'm fairly certain it'd be above Village of the Damned at least.

Last edited:
The Thing and Christine are my two fav followed by Escape from NY, They Live!, Prince of Darkness and Big Trouble in Little China.
My geek gear: t-shirt with The Pork Chop Express logo and an Outpost 31 sign on a sweatshirt hood.

OUTPOST-31.jpg THE-PORK-CHOP-EXPRESS.jpg

Last edited:
R15zgOU.png

@Black Narcissus

I haven't seen all of Carpenter's movies as of right now but if I had to rank them, the first three would be The Thing, Christine and In The Mouth of Madness.

E7DC342D-B0AC-4345-81B2-77BCB0A56540.jpeg

My ranking of the movies I’ve seen.

Watched only half of Carpenter's filmography (better known half). EFNY is my favorite of his. Original Deus Ex blew my mind back in the day when you had to stop terrorists who captured headless Statue of Liberty. Cloverfield also had headless SoL (which is also one of my favorite movies), inspired by the poster of EFNY.

Need to get on the rest of the filmography some day.

Halloween
The Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
Escape From New York
They Live
The Fog
Christine
Assault on Precinct 13
In The Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Vampires
Escape From LA
Starman
Village of The Damned
Ghost of Mars

Happy Birthday to da man.

The world of movies would be so poorer today without his films.

I just realized that I've only seen four Carpenter films: Halloween, The Thing, Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China. In my defense, though, they're widely regarded as his best. I suppose I should check out They Live in full too since I've only seen clips of the most famous parts of that one.

The only ones I haven't seen so far are:

Dark Star
Someone's Watching Me!
Elvis
Starman
Memoirs of an Invisible Man

I also really need to see Eyes of Laura Mars and Black Moon Rising since he wrote those.

I also really need to see Eyes of Laura Mars and Black Moon Rising since he wrote those.

There is not much of Carpenter in Black Moon Rising.
It's a B movie, could have been a TV movie for that matter.
I watched it for the car.

1. The Thing
2. Prince of Darkness
3. Halloween
4. Escape from New York
5. Big Trouble in Little China
6. Starman
7. They Live
8. In the Mouth of Madness
9. Christine
10. Escape from L.A.
11. The Fog
12. Village of the Damned
13. Memoirs of an Invisible Man
14. Ghosts of Mars
15. Vampires
16. The Ward

I have not seen Dark Star, Assault on Precinct 13, Someone’s Watching Me, and Elvis. Prince of Darkness, in my view, is a highly underrated masterpiece. It’s nearly as good as The Thing.

even tho it is not as close the plot of the book Christine is still one of my top 5 Carpenter films

The only ones I haven't seen so far are:

Dark Star
Someone's Watching Me!
Elvis
Starman
Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Get the **** on STARMAN now. The film that showed Carpenter could do Spielberg if he wanted to.

And... For some reason I think you'd get something out of Darkstar.

for those that did not see it in a previous post about Carpenter, here is me standing next to one of the film used 'hero' cars from the movie Christine taken outside a book store that had a meet and greet with cast and crew (the cast was Leigh and Buddy and his 'gang').

hXRsK9nO_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"