John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

jeff.jpg

I liked Escape from LA when I was kid, it probably wouldn't be wise to revisit though. I also liked Captain Ron.

He's had some great classics , his career speaks for itself.

Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite Carpenter film.

He has been working on a western for many years now, but nothing has come of it. I hope Rodriguez and Tarantino give him a hand.

One of my favorite directors! I think The Thing is his best movie.

I wish he'd make a big comeback, but I guess he's too busy smoking weed and playing video games or watching basketball.

Anybody have Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network? He has a show called "The Director's Chair" where he interviews directors. He did one with Carpenter, Guillermo del Toro, and Tarantino. Francis Ford Coppola and Michael Mann are next. Good stuff.

Are you serious? I can't find any full clips online.

Damn.

Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite Carpenter film.

He has been working on a western for many years now, but nothing has come of it. I hope Rodriguez and Tarantino give him a hand.

I remember back in the day, before I cared about directors, genres etc. reading Carpenter's name above the title and being shocked like ''the same guy that did Halloween?!''. :funny:

If anyone could get him back in the seat it would be those guys, but I can't see it happening.

There are a lot of 'Halloween' fans on here.

I'm just curious.

How did ya'll like the remakes?

Well, it was Rob's vision... (that's a polite way of answering without going bat**** crazy and going on an insane rant).

I'm just curious.

I will put it this way, it can't and never will hold a candle to the original.

Last edited:
Halloween was an absolute classic and one of my favorite horror films. I remember growing up watching it on those late night horror showings on tv.

I also loved Christine. I was a huge horror fan back then.

The Thing is my absolute favorite from Carpenter followed by Halloween and Assault on Precinct 13.

Please do.

You are in a safe place here. :oldrazz:

I haaated the hell out of it.

Haha.

I didn't care for them at all either.

Those scenes at Smith's Grove with young Michael and Loomis were horrible. Trying to humanize Michael was such a fail.

Then there's that white f****** horse and ghost mum in the sequel. :doh:

I'm just curious.

:lmao:

You must not of been here when the first remake was released. Those were fun times.

Personally I thought they were entertaining schlock films , but I felt sorry for Halloween fans. It was a little embarrassing.

even tho it was not as close to the book as I like I still enjoy the hell out of Christine. mainly cause I am a car guy and I love how she looked in the movie, and the cast of the characters were pretty damn close to their book counterparts (especially Keith Gordon's Arnie).

Sam tell me more about this western he has apparently been working on for forever.

Sam tell me more about this western he has apparently been working on for forever.

Well, he called it a 'Gothic Western' and he was interested in Amy Adams as the female lead. :oldrazz:

I did enjoy his vampire film.

hinrGpv.jpg

Donald Pleasence was such an integral part of Carpenter's career and his portrayal of Dr. Loomis definitely added gravitas to the movie, hell, he is as much a major part of the Halloween lore as Michael Myers is.

It would have been interesting to see how Halloween panned out with the original choices for the character, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Last edited:
I think Donald P. was the right choice for the time that it was. Lee and Cushing were more of another era even though they were still making films around the same time. Their era was the Hammer Horror era. I'm not saying they would be bad or anything in the part. I just think that HALLOWEEN was on the ground floor of horror in the late 70's/early 80's. Pleasance in the film grounds it strongly in that particular time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"