John Wick: Chapter 2

This movie is AWESOME. I saw it for a second time not too long ago and it still holds up. I enjoyed the first movie, but in my opinion this film is far superior, especially in terms of action. The opening scene alone is better than most blockbuster action films that have come out, and it only gets better as it goes along. I also loved the cinematography in this movie, and I swear there are shots in this that are just as gorgeous as some of the shots from Skyfall. Keanu Reeves was tailor made for a franchise like this, and while people can rag on his acting all they want I don't think they realize just how committed he is to this stuff. I really like the guy and will continue to root for him, but I hope we get that announcement for Chapter 3 soon, because I want that **** right now.

Finally saw this tonight, I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite as good as the first to me. The first had an emotional core to it they just couldn't match with the sequel, despite the attempts to try.

The action overall in part 2 was great, but nothing quite matched the club shoot out in the first movie for me. Don't get me wrong though we got some great stuff, the pencil moment being great, as was he montage of Wick taking on assassins which included the pencil scene. Common was pretty good. But overall the first movie just beats the sequel out for me. Defoe' character also brought some emotion to the first movie as well as what happened to the dog. Both of those elements were missing from the sequel which made it a bit more of a straight up action movie.

Still really good though, and better than many sequels that come out. Part 3 could be amazing also. 8/10.

This actually went down a little in my estimation upon re-watch. The first is paced brilliantly, but here they seem to slow things down a bit too much and at poorly placed times. The death of the Italian bad guy's sister feels REALLY drawn out. Like they are trying to make us care for her, but we have never met her before so the scene just drags. This is a decent sequel but the first is better by some way for me.

I have owned this for 2 days and have watched it twice since. Still hasn't gone down in my estimation one bit.

This actually went down a little in my estimation upon re-watch. The first is paced brilliantly, but here they seem to slow things down a bit too much and at poorly placed times. The death of the Italian bad guy's sister feels REALLY drawn out. Like they are trying to make us care for her, but we have never met her before so the scene just drags. This is a decent sequel but the first is better by some way for me.

Credit to them for casting someone other than Monica Bellucci in that role, Gerini I think played it very well and it setup the shift to the stories grander scale nicely.

The original to me did feel like it hadn't totally shed its Wahlbergish direct to DVD scuzziness(eastern euopean scumbags in NYC/Jersey, chop shops, nightclubs, etc), granted it did do these things way better than we typically see but I preferred the sequel's focus on the hit man culture and the general grander scale with more interesting visuals.

The real question is who else can they cast from the Wire next time? Time for Dominic West to dust off the jigsaw accent? Another Omar comeback?

Last edited:
I liked it as much as the first. Agreed that it dragged a bit in Rome, but the action and cinematography was fantastic. You can actually see what's going on, and it doesn't feel too choreographed. I liked the swerve in the beginning where it makes you think the plot will just be the relative of the bad guy from the first one taking revenge, and goes a totally different direction.

I liked the swerve in the beginning where it makes you think the plot will just be the relative of the bad guy from the first one taking revenge, and goes a totally different direction.
Oh yeah, that whole prologue is gold.

I'll spoiler-tag just in case, but
I hated how Wick refuses to kill the sister, Santino blows up his house, Wick decides to kill the sister, and then Santino's gonna try to have Wick killed anyway. I would've much rather had Wick skip trying to kill the sister altogether, and just go straight for Santino after the house is destroyed.

Well, [blackout] Wick's journey in this film features him getting constantly screwed over by The Rules, so that's why it's such a cathartic moment at the end when he's finally just like, **** it.[/blackout]

Precisely. He played by the rules his entire life and all it brings him is violence.

Yep. It is why it is such a surprise. I wanted him to do it bad, thought he might and even I was shocked. Everyone in the business who runs the show seems to really respect John because he is such a straight shooter when it comes to the rules.

The story in the first was just much more emotional and interesting to me. I felt the sequel got slower as they tried to introduce too many new aspects to the world. I normally like the world expanded in the sequel as long as it's done organically. I don't feel all of the new world expansions were personally. I did like the action and Wicks running battles with Cassian and Ruby Rose's mute. Some story points were good but overall I wasn't a bit disappointed. It a bad sequel at all but nit as good as the first.

Oh yeah, that whole prologue is gold.

That bit was great, the movie didn't really improve after that though for me.

Bought this baby on Blu Ray and finally got to watch it again for the first time since theaters and this movie is still the ****. This is just my kind of film, man. Just pure, unfiltered badassery on tap.

One thing I appreciated much much more, especially on blu Ray is the cinematography. I didn't fully appreciate it the first time but this movie is FULL of gorgeous shots. This director can not only shoot action scenes impeccably, but he very clearly has a keen visual eye for landscape shots and scenery. Every location in this movie pops, especially in HD. I love movies that have a stylistic look to them like this. I highly recommend buying this just for that.

2017 has been a good year for film thus far and out of all the greatness, this remains my favorite....thus far. We still have half a year but JW 2 is one Hell of a kickass film. Let's see if Atomic Blonde can match this next month.

One thing that irks me is the sister slits her wrists and then Wick shoots her in the head. She can't get anymore dead, and Wick didn't want to kill her so he should have been content to leave her there dead with just her wrists slit. What was the point of shooting her and making it look like a forced suicide murder rather than just a suicide?

Admittedly, that scene's a little iffy BUT the intent is that it has to look like John did the deed thus him shooting her. On the off chance that her brother would keep his word and let John go.

One thing that irks me is the sister slits her wrists and then Wick shoots her in the head. She can't get anymore dead, and Wick didn't want to kill her so he should have been content to leave her there dead with just her wrists slit. What was the point of shooting her and making it look like a forced suicide murder rather than just a suicide?
To make it clear he honored his marker.

Admittedly, that scene's a little iffy BUT the intent is that it has to look like John did the deed thus him shooting her. On the off chance that her brother would keep his word and let John go.

That's exactly it. John shot her in order to adhere to the letter, if not the spirit, of the marker called in by the brother. The way the scene played out, the lady had slipped into unconsciousness from blood loss but wasn't yet dead when John shot her. Therefore, he did kill her, though she would have died by her own hand if nothing were done to save her. (A henchman could have conceivably found her and gotten medical help had Wick not delivered the shot to the head.)

To make it clear he honored his marker.

Dead is dead. The method shouldn't matter. Plus no on can prove he didn't slit her wrists or that he did shoot her. So all they have to go on is his word and if that's good enough shooting her in the head is unnecessary.

It clearly matters to these people. They have their own specific code, as has been illustrated in both movies.

Yeah, it's pretty plainly stated he had to kill her. The guy still screwed Wick. I just want to see the endgame, and this TV show they are talking about, which is about this non-John Wick Assassin Underworld.

John Wick Origin Story comic coming from Dynamite in September

Writer Greg Pak
Artist Giovanni Valletta

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-characters-origin-1014973?utm_source=twitter

john_wick_comic_cover.jpg

JohnWick01-Cov-B-Cowan.jpg

How many issues of the comic are there going to be?

I'll spoiler-tag just in case, but
I hated how Wick refuses to kill the sister, Santino blows up his house, Wick decides to kill the sister, and then Santino's gonna try to have Wick killed anyway. I would've much rather had Wick skip trying to kill the sister altogether, and just go straight for Santino after the house is destroyed.

I think the point of that was to have Ian McShane's character explain what the marker is and what it means which is why John has to honor it.

Doing a John Wick back to back watch is so satisfying now. :bow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"