Joker 2: Staircase Boogaloo

Sorry, I just have to ask... why does someone make the "Electric Boogaloo" joke whenever a sequel is announced? I don't mean to attack Boom here, but why do people still think this joke is funny?

I had a girlfriend once who would do this and it always annoyed the crap out of me.

Variety saying otherwise
‘Joker’ Sequel Being Explored by Todd Phillips, Warner Bros.

Looks like we got some disagreements among the trades

It's petty jealousy by Mike Fleming, getting ticked off that someone got 'his' scoop. He doesn't even address that Deadline's sister publication, Variety, essentially confirmed THR's scoop.

He wants to put a damp blanket over it, and then scream "TOLDJA!" when the studio officially confirms the sequel development.

Not excited by the sequel news (I hated the first), but not surprised either. WB should be lucky that Phoenix is attached to return because his contract for Joker had sequel options, but I'm sure he'll be all in if Todd Phillips comes back to direct.

I'm up for it. I don't even necessarily care if it's a good movie (though obviously that would be my preference), I just want to see Joaquin display more of his fully formed Joker.

I'm in full agreement.

Even though I'd love to see Joaquin's Joker vs a Batman in this universe, I'm actually glad WB isn't giving Philips access to Batman.

Philips is an edgelord through and through, he financed his first film (which was a documentary on GG Allin) by getting into contact with John Wayne Gacy and selling his painting. That type of rebellilus edgy nature worked wonders for Joker but man do I think he has the potential to screw Batman up worse than Zack Snyder. I have zero interest to see a Philips created Batman.
I'd like another filmmaker to take the basis this world has given the character and explore it, but definitely not Philips. His sensibilities are just wrong for Bruce.

I’m down for Cooper making a Lex movie but only if Lady Gaga plays Mercy Graves.

A Joker sequel would have me worried about it undermining what the first Joker movie achieved. But if it can somehow keep playing on the fantasy/reality aspect, about what's real and what's not, then it could make for an interesting story. I just hope it doesn't make everything about the first movie too literal, and takes away the mystery it created in order to service the Joker 2 plot. And you can only go on with the Joker for so long without wondering, Where's Batman? But then again that could be incorporated into the plot: Joker getting paranoid about the existence of a "Batman", or something like that.

I'd love a Luthor movie. (As I said in another thread) Phillips could really take the business and political themes we saw in the Joker movie even further. Really go out seeing Luthor's level of influence and corruption.

I honestly believe it is & truly hope that the reports of a sequel are all bull****.. although because it's WB in charge, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made a sequel to what honestly should be a one & done film.

Yes it's a massive success I get that, but the next appearance from Joker should be opposite Pattinson. This doesn't need a sequel & it would be a mistake IMO to make one especially if it doesn't involve Batman again.

I wouldn't mind seeing spin off films focusing on villains prior to their rise although it's debatable how well they'd work because some of the better choices IMO are nowhere near as well known as Joker. Lex Luthor might actually be the only other well known villain that would work & pull in some of the casual audience.

I wouldn't mind seeing spin off films focusing on villains prior to their rise although it's debatable how well they'd work because some of the better choices IMO are nowhere near as well known as Joker. Lex Luthor might actually be the only other well known villain that would work & pull in some of the casual audience.
I have to agree because while origin stories for characters like Mr. Freeze, Eobard Thawne, Bane, Darkseid etc. could be interesting, I just don't see WB investing to make theatrical R-rated "dark" movies for them. Or anything that would lean more to the fantastical (even if they played that down.) I could only see movies for those characters ending up on HBO Max, or keeping those characters in the ensemble movies. But it's easier to see Lex Luthor treated in the way of Joker, because he is human, it ties it more to real world, with lower budget and less effects etc. and able to focus on the story.

Reactions: B
I have to agree because while origin stories for characters like Mr. Freeze, Eobard Thawne, Bane, Darkseid etc. could be interesting, I just don't see WB investing to make theatrical R-rated "dark" movies for them. Or anything that would lean more to the fantastical (even if they played that down.) I could only see movies for those characters ending up on HBO Max, or keeping those characters in the ensemble movies. But it's easier to see Lex Luthor treated in the way of Joker, because he is human, it ties it more to real world, with lower budget and less effects etc. and able to focus on the story.

Exactly, I think part of the reason Joker has been so successful is yes of course it's an insanely popular character both among both hardcore & casual fans, but also Todd Phillips took an interesting approach with focusing on his troubles & in particular mental health which is something that has struck a cord with a number of people.

My point being I don't know if something like Darkseid or Doomsday, while I'd think they could be cool solo film concepts, I don't think they'd be anywhere near as successful because the characters just aren't as relatable as someone like Joker.. who is literally a guy that has a run of **** days that ends up pushing him beyond breaking point & going further into insanity.

Luthor could be something that would work similarly to Joker depending on how they go about it.

Last edited:
Exactly, I think part of the reason Joker has been so successful is yes of course it's an insanely popular character both among both hardcore & casual fans, but also Todd Phillips took an interesting approach with focusing on his troubles & in particular mental health which is something that has struck a cord with a number of people.

My point being I don't know if something like Darkseid or Doomsday, while I'd think they could be cool solo film concepts, I don't think they'd be anywhere near as successful because the characters just aren't as relatable as someone like Joker.. who is literally a guy that has a run of **** days that ends up pushing him beyond breaking point & going further into insanity.

Luthor could be something that would work similarly to Joker depending on how they go about it.
I think if you look a bit closer at Darkseid ; family pressure, expectations, the weight of other people's wellbeing playing on your life choices... There is something to work with there, in terms of something to relate for viewers.

Doomsday I would agree though.

I think if you look a bit closer at Darkseid ; family pressure, expectations, the weight of other people's wellbeing playing on your life choices... There is something to work with there, in terms of something to relate for viewers.

Darkseid would still be very fantastical and something that could be done in the New Gods movies.

A supposed to be a stand alone film but a sequel is happening probably because of box office $ucce$$. Biggest surprise ever. :o

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again was fun and improved upon its predecessor.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again was fun and improved upon its predecessor.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"