Josh Trank to Direct Venom

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
wasn't he in talks to direct fantastic Four? eitherway i would love for a venom spin-off to have a strong horror element, but that just me.

And I thought any ideas for a Venom movie may have been scrapped due to the Spidey reboot.

I'd imagine they'd have to feature venom in the new franchise first. it would be kind of weird to have a spin off of one franchise while the second one is going.

Venom without being in Spidey first just doesn't fly with me. I really, really like Venom, but he's a Spidey villain first and foremost.

no venom movie for me. I won't support it. Too morally repugnant.

The new comic certainly provides a unique direction. Perhaps Hobgoblin as the villain? Or Jackal? Maybe the Spider Slayers and Alister Smythe?

I like Venom a lot, but you can't have him without Spider-Man being bonded to the symbiote first. Absolutely idiotic, imo.

Just seems like odd timing on this one... I really don't know what they're going to do with this.

I like Venom a lot, but you can't have him without Spider-Man being bonded to the symbiote first. Absolutely idiotic, imo.

Exactly. A Venom movie is bananas in the first place, but not having him firmly established as a Spidey villain (or even anti-hero) is lunacy. Spidey should have the symbiote first to establish what the symbiote truly is. Then you introduce Eddie Brock (and Venom should ALWAYS be Eddie Brock) and you go from there.

i dunno, i think it'd be interesting. i'd love to see a film with venom as the main character. i think the anti-hero approach is the only way to go, though. cant make him the "hero" of the film, like in the Ghost Rider movies. he's not the hero, but he's the "good guy".

Three differentt things came to mind as I've sat and thought about SONY taking into account how stupid they can be at times.

1. they just want to get a little buzz about the character since Trank is the Directing 'it-boy' right now.(meaning there's still a chance we get a correct and proper venom movie including Spider-Man bonding to the symbiote first)

2. They treat this like Ghost Rider and just throw the character in a movie with a couple other of his associates and don't really adapt anything in terms of story possibilities. (God help us all if this is the case)

Or they ignore the fact that Venom was in SM3 AND that they are rebooting SM and simply hope the public understands the symbiote was bonded to Spider-Man before anyone else and start a movie with Flash Thompson as Venom and use stuff from Remender's stories.

Whatever they're thinking, I'm sure SONY will screw the pooch on this one.

2. They treat this like Ghost Rider and just throw the character in a movie with a couple other of his associates and don't really adapt anything in terms of story possibilities. (God help us all if this is the case)
I think you nailed it on the head, with that one.

It could be an awesome date movie. Lots of tongue.

What a waste of talent, Trank doing a movie about a lame, one dimensional character like Venom, who won't work without Spidey anyway.

It could be an awesome date movie. Lots of tongue.
:hehe:

This joke has been OPRAH-approved!

oprah-winfrey-thumbs-up.jpg

Yeah I'm not looking forward to this film. :dry:

What a waste of talent, Trank doing a movie about a lame, one dimensional character like Venom, who won't work without Spidey anyway.

I don't think venom is lame or one dimensional.

I find the concept of a villain who has actually been inside your head and knows you inside out to be incredibly creepy.

Especially if you couple that with it attaching itself onto someone you know who now also knows all your secrets and just happens to hate you as well.

Most people don't get it, but Venom is one of my favourite villains of all time because of that, and certainly my fave Spidey villain. It's a psychological element that no other villain really has, and it's always interested me.

That said, this movie idea scares the crap out of me :hehe:

Venom without Spiderman basically means taking out everything I just said makes him interesting and really threatening. It'd be a dumb idea and I can't imagine it succeeding.

You can't know much about the character to call him one dimensional.

Hmmm...but which Venom? I wouldn't be surprised, not one bit, if this take featured Flash Thompson as Venom instead of Eddie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"