The Avengers Joss Whedon leading on "Avengers" short list of directors

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdbfan

Avenger
Reaction score
IESB Exclusive: Leading Contender in Line to Direct THE AVENGERS... !!!NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!!!

avengers_alex_ross_01.jpg

Yes, we know, April Fools Day jokes are going up faster than Jesse James can Heil Hitler, but we've got some real news to throw into the mix, so THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS DAY JOKE, real news!!
THE AVENGERS will be the culmination of everything Marvel Entertainment has been working towards, bringing together their biggest and brightest superheroes on the big screen including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk.

Director Louis Leterrier has thrown his hat into the ring as wanting to bring Earth's mightiest heroes together under one tentpole but we are hearing it will not be his cross to bear. Leterrier mentioned a short list of directors recently that Marvel was looking at, he didn't know who else was on the list but IESB has found out one other member.

The same sources that spilled the beans to IESB about Spider-Man 4 being put on an indefinite hold back in December, have revealed that another leading contender on that short list to direct THE AVENGERSfilm is none other than Joss Whedon.

Whedon, who was previously writing and directing WB's long gestating Wonder Woman film, has a history with the Marvel brand as a comic book writer. His run of the Astonishing X-Men was one of Marvel's best selling lines and was nominated for several Eisner Awards. He was also the second writer on the Runaways line for Marvel and wrote short stories for Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man.

Whedon is currently working on Cabin in the Woods on which he is writing and producing starring Thor himself Chris Hemsworth directed by Cloverfield writer Drew Goddard.

Zak Penn is writing THE AVENGERS screenplay.

We will be calling Whedon's and studio reps for confirmation/denial/no comment in the morning. Take it as a rumor for now until further confirmation.

I can't believe Joss Whedon was unable to get into our San Diego Comic-Con party The Wrath of Con last year, the fire marshall shut down the line! Please don't hold it against us! I mean, who really cares if the roof would have caved with more guests.

THE AVENGERS has a scheduled release date of May 4, 2012.

If this is an April Fools Joke I will not be pleased because Whedon would be AMAZING.

I'm not taking any news seriously today. At all.

I'll wait for April 2nd to come around before I even consider the possibility of this being true.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope this is an april fools joke--whatever it's called. I really do.

Agreed [A]

Whedon is overrated. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is shoite. And i don't know why Serenity is a cult favourite. Thought that was crap too.

I smell bull***t.

Shame though, it would certainly be interesting. Not my first choice but better than Leterrier. I really do think "The Avengers" should have it's own distinct flavour compared to the origin films.

If this is an April Fools Joke I will not be pleased because Whedon would be AMAZING.

Same. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it's a joke or not.

If it isn't, then Marvel is onto something really good. Whedon knows how to direct action and maintain a huge cast writing-wise. The thing is, will he do it after the drama he went through on WW? And would he want to?

Whedon is overrated. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is shoite. And i don't know why Serenity is a cult favourite. Thought that was crap too.

Buffy the movie is absolute crap, but I loved the show. Angel had its moments. Firefly and Dollhouse are about as far removed from Buffy and Angel as you can get. I couldn't get into Dollhouse though, it's the only Whedon show that hasn't clicked for me.

Please actually see Whedon's shows (and Firefly in context of "Serenity") before you say "overrated." It makes you look ignorant and stupid.

I have seen Whedon's shows... otherwise i wouldn't say anything about them. I think they are crap.

I would love to have Whedon work on the Avengers film. I think Astonishing X-Men and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog are both amazing.

I hope he gets picked and writes a new Zak Penn-less script.

Last edited:
Maybe he just needs a budget to work with. I was never into his TV shows but the same goes for most TV shows personally. It's not like Marvel is giving whoever they bring in 100% creative control, so maybe he is the perfect guy that can balance all the egos out.

I hope this is an April Fools joke.

I wouldn't want Wasp and Black Widow to end up saving the day.

If he was just writing it, I could deal. Not sure about him directing though. I should do Runaways. That would be right up his alley. I like his previous work (sans Dollhouse) but I am not sure if he has the directing pedigree to take on Avengers.

Whedon can't handle a project of this magnitude.

And honestly, I don't believe the studio will get behind him. Look what happened with Wonder Woman. This is a movie that's going to be probably over $200 million and supposed to be huge.

The other thing is, Whedon is just more or less a cult favorite. He doesn't have any legit clout going into this.

I think this is a Marvel type of choice. Marvel has never gone the obvious route when picking directors. Favreau for Iron Man? Branagh for Thor?

But they always made sense. This makes sense to me. Whedon has connections to the company, he's adept at juggling groups of characters, he knows how to pull your heart strings (and if he ever had a good budget I believe he'd pull off great action too, he did in Astonishing X-Men), and he'll give us a different angle on these characters.

Without knowing who else is on that short list, Whedon is my pick. I love Serenity/Firefly, hate Buffy, love Angel. That's where I'm coming from.

And honestly, I don't believe the studio will get behind him. Look what happened with Wonder Woman.

If Whedon is indeed on the list, then I'm pretty sure Marvel Studios is obviously willing to get behind him.

At least if Whedon was to direct, that would mean he would probably be involved with the script. We would be almost guaranteed to have great character interaction and moments. I don't know if he can handle directing such a big project, but every director has starts somewhere. Marvel Studios has yet to hire a Stephen Spielberg or Peter Jackson and I doubt they're going to break that pattern with Avengers.

Besides, the story is the most important thing for me so I'll probably be fine if Whedon doesn't completely blow my mind with his skill at directing a summer action film. People complain about the action in Iron Man and the Nolan Batman films and those are my favorite super hero films. Character interaction and development is what I care about most. I'd rather have a Whedon film then some other director who can make big explosions but uses Zak Penn's script.

Last edited:
I have seen Whedon's shows... otherwise i wouldn't say anything about them. I think they are crap.

So you didn't like Buffy but you watched Angel, which was made by the exact same people. Than you watched Firefly, which is understandable since it's different from Buffy/Angel. Didn't like it, but still saw Serenity. That doesn't make much sense. :woot:

Last edited:
I think this is a Marvel type of choice. Marvel has never gone the obvious route when picking directors. Favreau for Iron Man? Branagh for Thor?

All those guys had more credentials, experience, and chops at handling bigger movies than Whedon currently does.

But they always made sense. This makes sense to me. Whedon has connections to the company, he's adept at juggling groups of characters, he knows how to pull your heart strings (and if he ever had a good budget I believe he'd pull off great action too, he did in Astonishing X-Men), and he'll give us a different angle on these characters.

Is he really though? He did a long-running cult TV series. And he did a short-lived one and a movie based on it that didn't make any money. Can he really handle doing Avengers?

People claimed because of the familial aspects of Barbershop that Tim Story could do Fantastic Four.

Also, his run on Astonishing X-men is overrated.

Yeah but Tim Story came from straight comedies with no hint of action. And to be honest, I don't know how much of Fantastic Four is Story's fault and how much is Fox.

People don't dig Whedon's work, I can understand that. But I think his sensibilities work for a movie like this, and I can honestly see Marvel being interested in him. Avengers needs to be a home run, not a single. I really believe Whedon could knock it out of the park.

It might not be bad if Whedon was doing some work on the script. He hasn't really progressed much as a director though.

Actually, I prefer Joss The Director over Joss The Writer. I mean, I like him as a writer most of the time, but his dialogue does often grate on me (even though his long-term plotting and character arcs were amazing). That said, in everything I've ever seen that he directed, the direction in particular was glorious. I'm talking everything from the classic Buffy episodes he did (particularly "Hush," "Restless," "The Body," and "Once More, With Feeling") to Dr. Horrible to Serenity. Even if you've never liked his writing style, you'd be hard-pressed to deny that the guy has shown some seriously impressive directorial flair over the years.

If this isn't an April Fools joke, I consider it a great possibility.

And random tidbit: Chris Hemsworth is one of the stars of Whedon's latest film (as a writer/producer).

Last edited:
All those guys had more credentials, experience, and chops at handling bigger movies than Whedon currently does.

Is he really though? He did a long-running cult TV series. And he did a short-lived one and a movie based on it that didn't make any money. Can he really handle doing Avengers?

People claimed because of the familial aspects of Barbershop that Tim Story could do Fantastic Four.

Also, his run on Astonishing X-men is overrated.

If you're not a fan of Astonishing, you're not going to like him as a pick.

However, for most, Whedon's Astonishing run is one of the high points of the past two decades of X-Men stories, and showcases his inexplicably amazing ability to synchornize characters with great drama and great moments.

While the choice of screenwriter bothers me, Whedon's got my vote.

I'd prefer him on X-Men by a wide margin, but I'll take what I can get (If this isn't a prank, anyway). The news would be better if it also specified that he's giving Penn the boot and writing his own script.

Strange to see so much Whedon-hate. Joss is the boss. That said, I'd be more comfortable if he had already done some Avengers work. My confidence in Joss Whedon is near total, but I'm also aware that sometimes great writers don't always click with certain properties--for example, Brubaker (who is a God among men) just didn't fit with X-Men too well. I think Joss Whedon is a perfect fit for a lot of stuff, but I never considered him for the Avengers--so even with all my (completely heterosexual!) Whedon-love, there is some uncertainty there.

Regardless, better him than Louis Leterrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"