The Avengers Jon Favreau and Joss Whedon Talk New Hulk

When you combine what Joss Wheadon said,

“He has what I remember loving about the show, that quality of, you just look at him and you go through it with him, he invites you in in a way that [no] other performer has since Bill Bixby. He is a guy who’s been beaten up by life, but not defined by that. That’s what I want from Bruce Banner, is a guy who’s still getting it done, even though he has his problem.”

with what Mark Ruffalo said,

"He’s a guy struggling with two sides of himself — the dark and the light — and everything he does in his life is filtered through issues of control. I grew up on the Bill Bixby TV series, which I thought was a really nuanced and real human way to look at The Hulk. I like that the part has those qualities."[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]it makes me feel a little better about things.

Bill Bixby brought an absolute pathos to Banner. You really felt for Banner and wanted to see him find happiness...yet never hated the Hulk for cursing him. You rooted for Banner AND the Hulk.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

I agree!.

As long as he runs to his lab. I don't want him wandering from city to city. Like the tv show.

After TIH,I think it makes sense for Bruce to wander city to city for a bit!(have a flashback scene with Bruce shown going to different citys But always finding trouble and so he can't find peace).

Then also work in a secret lab!,Fury can say that he found sat.pics or vids of Bruce/Hulk going to some caves in a desert somewhere and that's where he ends the Avenger's to investigate for there first mission....Then Bruce freaks out and thus turns to Hulk while the Avengers team think Hulk is just some freak monster and have there first battle!.

Forget the lab, we need to see Rick Jones in the Avengers. He was Hulk's partner, Cap's partner, and instrumental in the formation of the Avengers in the first place.

Lord, they are really intended on Banner being Bill Bixby.

No, it's just that Bill Bixby drove that show. If that show were nothing but a green monster running around, no one would have watched. What made the TV show great was you cared about the Hulk, because you cared about Banner.

Lord, they are really intended on Banner being Bill Bixby.

What?
They're intending on modeling Banner after the closest comics-to-film Banner we've ever seen? They're going to base Banner off of the actor that gave the greatest performance as Banner to date?!
That's the best news I've heard all day!
happybw.gif

Last edited:
Bill Bixby's Banner was a more compelling character than the comic milksop Banner. It's like having Patrick Stewart as Professor X, who automatically propels the character into another hemisphere compared to the comic version.

Thread title is slightly misleading. Should have been titled, "Jon Favreau and Joss Whedon talk new Bruce Banner."

I was hoping it was something about the big green guy and if they're going to alter his look or do the smart thing and keep him like he was in TIH but hopefully looking better CGI wise.

Bixby's Banner is certainly the standard Banner in my book. Not every genius has to be the run of the mill geeky nerd. I think if Ruffalo pulls it off, it'll make for progress in the right direction for Hulk. Bixby made you care for Banner as you were able to see his genuine compassion for others as well as his fears in engaging threatening situations.

Last edited:
Agreed. When I watched the tv series, I finally cared about the character and thought of him as an actual person.

Bixby always had a certain intensity about him boiling under the surface that gave the show a level of suspense. You always wondered whether he was going to lose it and Hulk out. Even just looking at Bixby's physical appearance itself makes you think he might turn into the Hulk. None of the other actors have given off that feeling or totally embodied the character or the sheer pain, frustration and anger that he feels before he transforms.

Bixby was awesome, no doubt. And I absolutely loved the tribute LL made to him in TIH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"