The Avengers Joss Whedon leading on "Avengers" short list of directors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh..... all I can say is better than LL.

Bunk, I perceive a deep void where enthusiasm should be, haha.

Ha, probably. I'm really just not that familar; I haven't seen a single episode of Buffy. Serenity is actually a very well made movie though, especially given the budget, and fact that it has to be accessible to people who know the universe, as well as those that do not. I would not take these things for granted…as some apparently do. I'm still trying to figure out how Wonder Woman falling apart is somehow evidence Whedon should not be involved.

Haven't really seen his stuff, so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem his style suits Avengers. But if Marvel's interested, I am too.

The UK Paper The Guardian published a piece on why they think Whedon would be a good choice:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/apr/01/comic-film-adaptations-joss-whedon

Though I have to say, I think they left off the best argument in his favor: his strength with ensembles. The guy works miracles in that department - the ensembles in his shows were the true key to why people got so attached to them - they always felt like family after almost no time at all. Each member got plenty of chances to shine and proved essential to the core. No one was left underdeveloped.

I think that particular trait is not only invaluable in a project like this, but also quite hard to find in most big directors, as it's usually considered a "lighting in a bottle," all-about-the-special-chemistry, "we lucked out" quality that's hard to pull off twice. He's pulled it off 3 times.

Last edited:
As much as I love Whedon, I really dont think this would be a good fit. I'd much rather he do something in the X-universe, but this? I just cant see it.

Then again, I cant really see any director being a good fit at this point, so I'm going to be surprised no matter what.

I don't think his humor would fit in Avengers, and I can't see Marvel telling him "hey come rewrite Penn altogether we'll wait".

I'm not opposed to him putting a bit of a shine on the script, I just don't want him to do a major dialogue overhaul. I would be fine with him as just director.

I love Whedon, but mostly for his writing... which I'm assuming won't be a part of this to any greater extent. Doesn't mean he can't be good of course...
...certainly I'd rather take a gamble on Whedon than going with Louis Leterrier

Agreed. Whedon doesn't excite me much, but if he directed, I won't be throwing any fits of rage. I'll still be excited as hell for this movie. I think he can do it, but maybe he could be our best choice. I should stop dreaming of Abrams or Spielberg doing this. Those two were too unrealistic. But dammit, who wouldn't want to see Spielberg tackle a comic book film, or this kind of thing?

I really wish he would stay away from anything Iron Man related.

Agreed. Whedon doesn't excite me much, but if he directed, I won't be throwing any fits of rage. I'll still be excited as hell for this movie. I think he can do it, but maybe he could be our best choice. I should stop dreaming of Abrams or Spielberg doing this. Those two were too unrealistic. But dammit, who wouldn't want to see Spielberg tackle a comic book film, or this kind of thing?
this guy.

whedon being considered is fantastic news! i really hope he gets the job because i feel he could provide ample "moments" and screen time from all of the principles and avoid making it feel like cap and the avengers or ironman and the avengers

Haven't really seen his stuff, so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem his style suits Avengers.

His strength with ensembles is one of the key elements why he is good for the job (all of his previous projects used an ensemble cast of 6-7 people at least). And judging by his directorial work on "Buffy" and Serenity, the guy can do some really good action without spastic editing.

I'd be thrilled if Whedon was just directing -- but I highly doubt he'll leave Penn's script untouched. He'll probably do a polish and rewrite some stuff, but I don't think he'll do a page one rewrite (which he'll want to do if he does direct the thing).

And comedic timing. He knows how to pull off comedy brilliantly.

yeah, but since it was written by zak penn that doesn't strike me as a bad thing...

I really wish he would stay away from anything Iron Man related.

How on earth is Whedon going to stay away from Iron Man-related stuff? RDJ and Iron Man are going to be in The Avengers, for chrissakes.

The approach Favreau did for the first two IM movies is pretty much on the same level Whedon would probably approach it. I can't believe a lot of fans are treating Whedon with so much disdain, even though he's only one of the few directors Marvel wants to direct this movie.

And after seeing the disaster that was Clash of the Titans yesterday, I'd rather have Whedon or any of the other guys on the list. Just not Louis Letterier, whose solid work TIH was a fluke.

How on earth is Whedon going to stay away from Iron Man-related stuff? RDJ and Iron Man are going to be in The Avengers, for chrissakes.
Exactly, he was saying he doesn't want him to direct Avengers because it would involve him doing a movie with Iron Man.

All this whining about Whedon directing The Avengers is premature. For all we know, Marvel could look at the opening b.o. gross for Clash of the Titans and give Letterier the gig.

I hope they give a good director the keys to The Avengers. I'm just hoping it won't be Letterier.

Serenity is one of the top three Sci-Fi movies ever made.

I'd rather turn Whedon loose on a X-Franchise but I think he'd be great on Avengers. Good to see Marvel thinking correctly and finding the best fit and best minds for their properties.

All this whining about Whedon directing The Avengers is premature. For all we know, Marvel could look at the opening b.o. gross for Clash of the Titans and give Letterier the gig.

I hope they give a good director the keys to The Avengers. I'm just hoping it won't be Letterier.

I want an actual film director who's made something substantial. Kathryn Bigelow or Riddly Scott or someone.

Last edited:
After reading Joey Ernand's opinion on Latino Review....

Hmm. Well, I love Whedon when he's "on" ("Firefly/Serenity") and want more out of him when he's off ("Dollhouse"). But I'd say more often than not, the man's proven that he's one of the best genre people around. Moreover, he's flirted with big screen comic book properties more often than I can count. His brief brush with "Wonder Woman" a few years back is probably the most famous example, but he's sniffed around everything from "X-men" to "Batman" as well. And he wrote "X-men" comics, for the love of Pete! The stuff he did with those icons is widely regarded as some of the best stories Marvel has ever done.

That said, I'm not a hundred percent sold on him as a director. He's definitely good with actors, but some of his shot compositions in "Serenity" left a little to be desired. Granted, that flick had a way smaller budget than "Avengers" ever will, so maybe Whedon can shine when given a bigger sandbox.

That's not to say I don't want him for the gig. If anyone's gonna get it right, it's him. In this case, understanding the characters is just as important as shooting awesome action scenes, and if anyone GETS superheroes and team dynamics, its Joss Whedon. He's certainly a better choice than Louis Leterrier. I enjoyed his Hulk movie just fine, but as a director I feel that while he's alright at staging action, he gets a little too edit-happy and said action suffers because of it.

I'm totally on board with Whedon.

Last edited:
After reading Joey Ernand's opinion on Latino Review....

I'm totally on board with Whedon.

I'm very 50/50...yes he's written some of the best comics of the last 15 years, but writing a comic and directing a movie are two different beasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"