The Avengers The framework Marvel gave Whedon

TomPiltoff

you are all diseased
Reaction score
So Whedon has said in interviews that Marvel approached him with a list of things they needed in The Avengers in terms of conflicts and story.

What do you guys think were in those blueprints? I'd really like to know so we could further appreciate what Marvel brought to the table, and what it was that Whedon took and turned into The Avengers.

It seems like a pretty sure bet that Marvel demanded the helicarrier make an appearance, as well as a showdown in NYC.

Marvel went for his angle—with some restrictions. Whedon would have just 92 days to shoot, and the postproduction schedule was going to be brutally tight. The company told him the villain had to be the evil god Loki, from Thor. Execs said the movie had to have a big fight among the Avengers. They wanted a set piece in the middle that tore the team apart somehow. And there had to be an epic final battle. “I was like, great, you just gave me your three acts,” Whedon says. “Now all I have to do is justify getting to those places and beyond them.” He was in.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/04/ff_whedon/all/1

Yea i imagine they just gave him a few key things. I guess the Helicarrier fight was one of them.

Thanks for the link.

Anybody else horrified at how it almost sounds like we lucked out that the movie is incredible? "We needed somebody who wasn’t going to reinvent the wheel, because the die was cast and the cast was cast" sounds like they really didn't have their **** together at Marvel. Even Whedon said so!

It might not be like this forever, but right now, in this genre, with these characters, the audience will at least come opening weekend,” Feige says. “That liberates you to bring them to life with the most able—as opposed to just the most bankable—filmmaker.

Doesn't necessarily sound like someone who is completely dedicated and confident in the companies billions of years of stories.

Doesn't necessarily sound like someone who is completely dedicated and confident in the companies billions of years of stories.
In what way? He's saying they don't need a big name director to sell the character, because the character sells itself

Everyone starts somewhere. Favreau's only hit pre-Iron Man was ELF.

Apparently Joss Whedon started by writing for Roseanne. Considering that, he's done quite well for himself.

I would say it's just the usual stuff Marvel gives writers like...

'We want one (1) cosmic cube'

...that sort of thing. Just little things they know we want to see.

In what way? He's saying they don't need a big name director to sell the character, because the character sells itself

Sounds to me like he's saying that a time might come where the company is choosing big names over putting the right people at the reins.

Actually Whedon said in reference to the helicarrier that it was going to be at the end of Cap's movie and he asked them not to put it in.

Sounds to me like he's saying that a time might come where the company is choosing big names over putting the right people at the reins.
I think he's just saying that a time might come when the characters are no longer popular at the movies

There was that report that Marvel was being tight with the budget and Joss decided to go forward hoping they'd realize it looked good and they'd need to fund it properly or fire him.

Whedon brought so much wit, intelligence and charm to the movie. If he can write the plot, perhaps he can bring suspense and intensity to the sequel.

Actually Whedon said in reference to the helicarrier that it was going to be at the end of Cap's movie and he asked them not to put it in.

Kevin Feige
It might not be like this forever, but right now, in this genre, with these characters, the audience will at least come opening weekend,” Feige says. “That liberates you to bring them to life with the most able—as opposed to just the most bankable—filmmaker.

He's saying that the characters are popular enough to sell themselves so they don't need a "BIG" name director to reinvent there characters to sell them. People will come to see the characters as the are. They just need a competent directer to being them to life.

He's kind of saying they don't need a Micheal Bay or a Christopher Nolan to reinvent there characters to sell them to the GA. The established (comic) stories will sell them selves for right now. (Why there using TV directors)

(I just want to apologies to Nolan for putting him in the same sentence with Bay.):oldrazz:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"