The Avengers Joss Whedon leading on "Avengers" short list of directors - Part 1

IESB Exclusive: Leading Contender in Line to Direct THE AVENGERS... !!!NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!!!

avengers_alex_ross_01.jpg

Yes, we know, April Fools Day jokes are going up faster than Jesse James can Heil Hitler, but we've got some real news to throw into the mix, so THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS DAY JOKE, real news!!
THE AVENGERS will be the culmination of everything Marvel Entertainment has been working towards, bringing together their biggest and brightest superheroes on the big screen including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk.

Director Louis Leterrier has thrown his hat into the ring as wanting to bring Earth's mightiest heroes together under one tentpole but we are hearing it will not be his cross to bear. Leterrier mentioned a short list of directors recently that Marvel was looking at, he didn't know who else was on the list but IESB has found out one other member.

The same sources that spilled the beans to IESB about Spider-Man 4 being put on an indefinite hold back in December, have revealed that another leading contender on that short list to direct THE AVENGERSfilm is none other than Joss Whedon.

Whedon, who was previously writing and directing WB's long gestating Wonder Woman film, has a history with the Marvel brand as a comic book writer. His run of the Astonishing X-Men was one of Marvel's best selling lines and was nominated for several Eisner Awards. He was also the second writer on the Runaways line for Marvel and wrote short stories for Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man.

Whedon is currently working on Cabin in the Woods on which he is writing and producing starring Thor himself Chris Hemsworth directed by Cloverfield writer Drew Goddard.

Zak Penn is writing THE AVENGERS screenplay.

We will be calling Whedon's and studio reps for confirmation/denial/no comment in the morning. Take it as a rumor for now until further confirmation.

I can't believe Joss Whedon was unable to get into our San Diego Comic-Con party The Wrath of Con last year, the fire marshall shut down the line! Please don't hold it against us! I mean, who really cares if the roof would have caved with more guests.

THE AVENGERS has a scheduled release date of May 4, 2012.

Looking at the stuff this guy has directed doesn't fill me with confidence for this movie. Okay so Favreau and Branaugh have definitely surprised me with the quality of their work, but after using Favreau, Letterier, Branaugh and Johnston why did they feel this guy would be the right choice to bring it all together in what should be Marvel's opus.
I guess it would of been impossible to have multiple directors working together towards a common goal, and nothing would get done as heads butted, yet I can't help but feel that it be better than this.

Looking at the stuff this guy has directed doesn't fill me with confidence for this movie. Okay so Favreau and Branaugh have definitely surprised me with the quality of their work, but after using Favreau, Letterier, Branaugh and Johnston why did they feel this guy would be the right choice to bring it all together in what should be Marvel's opus.
I guess it would of been impossible to have multiple directors working together towards a common goal, and nothing would get done as heads butted, yet I can't help but feel that it be better than this.
Whedon has shown a talent for pulling off a large cast and creating characters people like. He irritates people with his 'Buffy speak' but I think he was a great choice.

can he actually handle a big movie like this. did he directed something big before. reading through forums everyone brings up buffy, but did he do anything else. it is very important to know how to use camera for these big movies.
comparing TIH with ang lee's hulk it is clear to see that ang lee is much better than letterier.

can he actually handle a big movie like this. did he directed something big before. reading through forums everyone brings up buffy, but did he do anything else. it is very important to know how to use camera for these big movies.
He directed episodes of all of his shows outside of Buffy, and movie-wise, he directed an ensemble space adventure movie called Serenity (based on his show Firefly). It had a smaller budget than most major Hollywood romantic-comedies, but I think he made the most of it. It had plenty of action, and the cinematography and camerawork was lovely, too. There's a particularly nice long tracking shot after the title sequence that I hope we get something akin to in Avengers. Since his budget for Avengers will be at least 4x Serenity's budget (but probably more like 5x it's budget), I think it will look great.

Serenity's available on Netflix instant if you want to watch it.

Last edited:
As much as I want to see the Avengers on film, the main reason I want this to be successful is for Joss to get the respect he deserves and the clout to do whatever he wants on TV or in film, not have to go back to Fox time and time again, only to have his shows canned halfway through a season or have a movie (Cabin in the Woods) that might never see the light of day.

Yeah, it would be really nice to see him finally get out from under Fox's boot heel for good.

Wasn't Cabin in the Woods with MGM and not Fox?

While I wouldnt want the dialougue in this to be too whedonesque, I think they should sneak the line "safe as houses" in there somewhere. Idk why or how, but that would make my day.

Who were the other directors on this so-called list?

I remember "A-Team" director Joe Carnahan was one. He mentioned how he thought they should up the ante and make the Hulk a quasi-villain.

"You always wind up in conversations, and there was an 'Avengers' conversation, but it wasn't really a thorough one. I was sent the material [and] I loved it." "I think the 'Avengers' movie you make is Hulk tearing up Manhattan and the Avengers have got to go in there and shut him down," he said. "I think it's very cool."

"I think that you're going to have to very quickly get to this situation where you start to make your heroes into villains," Carnahan observed. "I think that somebody like the Hulk, it's such a great place to take him."

"[For Hulk] I think they may consider that kind of the franchise-killer, but I think something like that would be awfully interesting." "Listen - you've got Joss Whedon and he's talented as hell," he said. "I think he's going to do a fantastic job with that."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=18803

Thank god that he wasn't picked as the director for the film. I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing the Hulk portrayed as a quasi villain.

See I'm more receptive to it than some hardcore enthusiasts might be.

Wasn't Cabin in the Woods with MGM and not Fox?
Ha, sorry, I just noticed this was a response to me. Yes, CitW was MGM (now bought by Lionsgate), but what I meant with that statement was that, while Joss has worked outside of Fox, he hasn't yet found any success outside of Fox, so he keeps having to go crawling back to them and then have his projects get treated like s*** by them. It's not a healthy relationship for either party, lol. So with Avengers, it would be nice to see him find success with another studio for once.

See I'm more receptive to it than some hardcore enthusiasts might be.
Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with that possibility either, tbh.

Ha, sorry, I just noticed this was a response to me. Yes, CitW was MGM (now bought by Lionsgate), but what I meant with that statement was that, while Joss has worked outside of Fox, he hasn't yet found any success outside of Fox, so he keeps having to go crawling back to them and then have his projects get treated like s*** by them. It's not a healthy relationship for either party, lol. So with Avengers, it would be nice to see him find success with another studio for once.

I want this to be for Joss what Mission Impossible 3 was for JJ Abrams. My love for the both of them and the work they've done is equal, but I feel like where JJ has found further success on television and has elevated himself to the point where he's making films, Joss has been floundering. I want The Avengers to be a stepping stone for Joss, so he can tell the stories he wants to tell and actually get a little respect for once.

For one, I want to see the guy do more television. His original creations are always great, but I'd love to see him collaborate with Marvel on a TV project. *cough*X-Men*cough*

FlickChick months later response, but unless I'm mistaken Buffy was on WB, it was their Flagship show for a while there, and then it moved to UPN which was Paramount.
Yes, those were the networks they were on, but Buffy and all of his other shows were 20th Century Fox productions.

I want this to be for Joss what Mission Impossible 3 was for JJ Abrams. My love for the both of them and the work they've done is equal, but I feel like where JJ has found further success on television and has elevated himself to the point where he's making films, Joss has been floundering. I want The Avengers to be a stepping stone for Joss, so he can tell the stories he wants to tell and actually get a little respect for once.
This is what I'm hoping for. As fan of Alias back in the day, I was a devoted Abrams fan before I was even familiar with Whedon. I love them both, but ever since I discovered Whedon's work, I've always felt that Whedon was the more original/imaginative of the two, while Abrams was the more mainstream of the two, so it's not remotely surprising to me that Abrams found success first, even if Joss may have paved the way for him in some respects. But I really hope it's finally Joss's time to shine.

Yes, those were the networks they were on, but Buffy and all of his other shows were 20th Century Fox productions.

the_more_you_know.jpg

Thank you for clarifying that. Interesting. I don't know why he's returned to them so many times, however Dollhouse was set up through them because Dushku had a contract with Fox for another show and Whedon took the opportunity to get the project started.

He directed episodes of all of his shows outside of Buffy, and movie-wise, he directed an ensemble space adventure movie called Serenity (based on his show Firefly). It had a smaller budget than most major Hollywood romantic-comedies, but I think he made the most of it. It had plenty of action, and the cinematography and camerawork was lovely, too. There's a particularly nice long tracking shot after the title sequence that I hope we get something akin to in Avengers. Since his budget for Avengers will be at least 4x Serenity's budget (but probably more like 5x it's budget), I think it will look great.

Serenity's available on Netflix instant if you want to watch it.

Yeah Serenity really looked like a big budget movie, but wasn't. The tracking shot is amazing, 4-5 minutes that (re)introduces each character perfectly. I think you learned more about each member of the cast more than you learned about Cyclops in the 3 X-Men movies. I think Joss was a great choice because you know all the characters will get their moments in the spotlight.

I know everyone wants action, big explosions and fights...

but to be honest, what i am looking forward to the most is what Joss is the king of...interaction between characters.

I can't wait for how Tony/Thor, Tony/Cap, Cap/Thor, Hawkeye/Cap, Thor/Hulk all interact the first time and in fighting mode.

It doesn't feel right, i like Joss Whedon and all but i don't think he can handle a project of this magnitude. This choice may lead to the film being a big failure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"