The Avengers Joss Whedon leading on "Avengers" short list of directors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This your first messageboard

But isnt this what we all are doing....if you didnt like Buffy, Firefly or his run on AXM what would your opinon of this news be?

This is the inherit flaw with arguing about this crap.

You're really taking the wind out of the sails of our blood feud when you say stuff that's in complete agreement with me.
i know right!? i feel like i should insult you or something but you're keeping this relatively civil. it's an impossible situation

I've seen serenity and didnt like it

tell you what i will look at the episode in the name of Internet Relations and let you know what I thought
:up: look forward to hearing your thoughts positive and negative on it:yay:
to help with character reference on this one think of buffy as spidey and her mom as uncle ben...or don't, it's just a human piece.

I aint watching the Buffy one and Hulu only carries 5 episodes of Angel

And i'm saying Whedon has never demonstrated a action style that suits the Avengers. And it hasn't.

Favreau didn't do anything more to show he could handle the action of Iron Man than Whedon has to show he can handle the action of Avengers…

If Whedon had already made a movie with action scenes you would expect from Avengers—and failed, you might have the beginnings of an argument. Right now your just making an obvious statement.

And please, Whedonites, don't mention his X run again. Joe Kelly is a comic book god IMO. Do i think he should direct a Deadpool film or a JLA film? **** no.

Why would you want somebody has never produced or directed a tv show and/or film to have that job to begin with? Whedon's talent for writing comics was probably near the bottom of list of reasons to hire him for Avengers, not the top.

I aint watching the Buffy one and Hulu only carries 5 episodes of Angel
Well, if you're only gonna do Hulu, skip those Angel eps - they're from S1, and as I said, S1 of that show was its weakest - and check out the Firefly ones. Avoid "Heart of Gold" though. That was the worst episode of the show (and Whedon had no involvement in it, for the record). He wrote/directed "Objects In Space," though.

Well, if you're only gonna do Hulu, skip those Angel eps - they're from S1, and as I said, S1 of that show was its weakest - and check out the Firefly ones. Avoid "Heart of Gold" though. That was the worst episode of the show (and Whedon had no involvement in it, for the record). He wrote/directed "Objects In Space," though.

objects in space it is

objects in space it is
And before it freaks you out - that universe had its own language, too. Like the Buffy-verse, only completely different. It was a "space western" in the literal sense since it's set in the "fringe" areas of the known galaxy where people were sent out with minimal supplies and had to go back to basics, and the universe was based on merged superpowers, so Mandarin Chinese is often blended into everyday speak. Fyi. :woot:

The only show he's done that had "normal" contemporary dialogue was Dollhouse.

Last edited:
i know right!? i feel like i should insult you or something but you're keeping this relatively civil. it's an impossible situation
I'm going to destroy you--and your ancestors! There. All is right in the universe.

I'm going to destroy you--and your ancestors! There. All is right in the universe.
not enough holier than thou snark, but we're getting there (as evidenced by my need to generalize your entire personality into one sentence)

not enough holier than thou snark, but we're getting there (as evidenced by my need to generalize your entire personality into one sentence)

You're just upset that I have a personality to generalize (there we go).

You're just upset that I have a personality to generalize (there we go).
...it's like the snow melting at the begining of spring. soon the flowers will bloom and insults will flow like a fast creek. can you hear the birds chirping? i think everything's going to be ok now.

Okay so I'm all for Whedon but if not Whedon, who else could realistically direct Avengers that isn't all scheduled up at the moment?

Okay so I'm all for Whedon but if not Whedon, who else could realistically direct Avengers that isn't all scheduled up at the moment?
To be honest, even before Kick-Ass, I was all for Matthew Vaughn. I still think he'd be great. And I don't think he's all scheduled up. But yeah, I'm obviously thrilled with Whedon, too.

A Non Brown coat review of "Objects in Space"

Ok so I booted up Hulu and and opened my mind. A bounty hunter sneaks onboard while River deals with trying to fit in.

Right off that bat I thought it was a little heavy handed in trying to convey its a space western. Really the only way the show could get more western-y is if someone wore a cowboy hat, had a horse and yelled for"cookie" to make some vittles. I like the concept of a western in space but as I said before.

I know that people hate the term Whedon-isms but I think the script was full of these little phrases that seem like people trying too hard to be cool.

Now I was ok until the episodes villain showed up and talked and talked and talked and everything he said was in these terms and really had a hard time making it thru the episode.

On a whole it didnt make me want to see more episodes. The things I didnt like about Buffy and Angel were here....
......I gave it a try but it wasnt for me.

For the people who aren't thrilled with Whedon writing and directing The Avengers, why not take a 'wait and see' approach to it? It's awfully hypocritical to start saying things about the film, when they haven't shot a frame of film for Chrissakes.

Wait for the first trailer, then complain. Sheesh.

For the people who aren't thrilled with Whedon writing and directing The Avengers, why not take a 'wait and see' approach to it? It's awfully hypocritical to start saying things about the film, when they haven't shot a frame of film for Chrissakes.

wheres the fun in that???

Shouldnt the people who are thrilled also take a wait and see approach to it???

wheres the fun in that???

Shouldnt the people who are thrilled also take a wait and see approach to it???

This. If people can praise a casting or hiring, then people can criticize it too.

complaining is irritating, but there's nothing wrong with conjecture and criticism :yay:

This. If people can praise a casting or hiring, then people can criticize it too.
isn't the sig rule still 4 standard size lines of text? please adjust yours accordingly

People can obviously criticize, but criticism like "Whedon has never done action on the scale of Avengers, therefore he can't do action on the scale of Avengers" seems out of place and silly.

The same concerns were true with Bryan Singer and those turned out to be... oh wait, almost completely founded, horribly choreographed action scenes in 3 major comic book films with the exception of one scene - Nightcrawler...

X-men and Avengers demands for their to be a huge group action scene, not to bloody break down the group into individuals and each fights his/her own battle, it's silly stupid and lazy and that's exactly what that dweeb did with X-2 and the unactionless SR

Whedon has done better group action scenes in his tv shows but still I think it's a valid point, not necessarily criticism, but a valid concern that he hasn't taken on such a huge scale of action scenes before (if this is how the script is written) and he might crap them up completely like Singer.

The same concerns were true with Bryan Singer and those turned out to be... oh wait, almost completely founded, horribly choreographed action scenes in 3 major comic book films with the exception of one scene - Nightcrawler...

X-men and Avengers demands for their to be a huge group action scene, not to bloody break down the group into individuals and each fights his/her own battle, it's silly stupid and lazy and that's exactly what that dweeb did with X-2 and the unactionless SR

Whedon has done better group action scenes in his tv shows but still I think it's a valid point, not necessarily criticism, but a valid concern that he hasn't taken on such a huge scale of action scenes before (if this is how the script is written) and he might crap them up completely like Singer.

got to agree...we never got a scene of the X-men fighting together

I'm a huge fan of Whedon. I love everything he's done. Buffy is my favourite tv show ever. I'm really happy about this.

Those arguments were funny for me. Serenity and Iron Man are 2 of my favourite movies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back