Jurassic World - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Cameron makes alien dinosaurs on Pandora's moons?

I think Avatar is safe. I don't see how it's going to make over 760mil total.

It do mean something if you're going to compare movies released several years apart, and want to to get an idea how they stand against each other in terms of their power of getting people into theaters.

For those who aren't impressed with these numbers, you probably need to rethink. Avengers destroyed BO numbers and set the standard in 2012. Nothing in the meantime (inc AoU) really approached it until JW. THAT is impressive. WRT ticket prices and inflation and so forth, there's no science that can really accurately compare the effect of seat price inflation. It can be argued that higher ticket prices actually discourages people from attending so it may increase revenue, but discourages attendance. That means a movie might be more "popular" with people even though fewer went to see it (EDIT: ie sold fewer tickets). The fiscal environment also would have to be factored in.

When it comes to the argument of comparing Gone with the Wind or, even, Star Wars (A New Hope), it becomes even more hopeless because of the advent in international markets, growth in home theater, and the overall growth of newer entertainment industries (ie movies have a lot more competition for the entertainment dollar than they did 40+ years ago).

Just be impressed with Jurassic World's performance at the BO, its hold in the 2nd week and don't worry about the past.

This comes from someone who LOVES the current MCU movies and goes to see virtually every single one of them so if I'm biased it's a bias toward MCU movies.

Last edited:
I think Avatar is safe. I don't see how it's going to make over 760mil total.

You may very well be right, but, wow, it's well over 1/2 there in 10 DAYS. Man, that is a sizzling pace. It has another 13 days before Terminator opens and with school out, you never know. We'll see how it holds in the upcoming weeks. Also, Avatar had a rerelease. Generally speaking, I don't like to compare apples to oranges and would look at what Avatar made in it's initial release (I don't think it added that much in its rerelease, but can't remember for sure).

If I had to bet, I'd say you're right, but I'm a lousy gambler.

Right now it's pretty much following Avengers with higher weekdays because of the summer. We'll see if the drops remain consistent, but I'll tentatively say between 600-650 depending on future drop offs. I don't think it gets to 700M.

This is the first big blockbuster that's completely fueled by nostalgia and by Chris Pratt's stardom. There are some great visuals and that's no doubt fueling the 3D revenue, but as a movie it's actually a little weak. If it weren't for Chris Pratt's character, I probably would wait for blu ray for this.

Just goes to show how unpredictable box office is.

Right now it's pretty much following Avengers with higher weekdays because of the summer. We'll see if the drops remain consistent, but I'll tentatively say between 600-650 depending on future drop offs. I don't think it gets to 700M.

This is the first big blockbuster that's completely fueled by nostalgia and by Chris Pratt's stardom. There are some great visuals and that's no doubt fueling the 3D revenue, but as a movie it's actually a little weak. If it weren't for Chris Pratt's character, I probably would wait for blu ray for this.

Just goes to show how unpredictable box office is.

Yeah. It's amazing just how close to lockstep they are. I agree the JW has been helped by it being summer (real summer when people are out of school). I saw it at the TCL Chinese in Hollywood opening day (Friday) and was amazed at just how crowded it was for the 10am show. It occurred to me at the time "Oh yeah.....no school". I think an early May release would have held down the BO #s for opening week to slightly below the Avengers because of the Friday #s, but who knows? The competition looks to be pretty similar with Terminator kicking in on the 4th weekend (MIB for The Avengers was the 4th week competition).

Anyway, a great draw for JW and my hat's off to them. I'll bet Pratt's agent has visions of sugar plums dancing in his head. Glad to see one of the people who seems like a really good guy having so much success. He was charming, funny, and all that stuff that makes someone a great box office draw. If they really do an Indy remake and get him, that's gonna be huge too.

EDIT: I thought it was pretty good. Sure, there are some holes, but we're talking about growing dinosaurs here........It was a fun movie with a bad ass boyfriend in the starring role. :cwink: I think it'll hit $650M, but we'll have to see how it does in the coming weeks. If it can maintain the weekday receipts and have drops in the 40% range for the next few week, it could approach $700. That'a a tall order though......

Last edited:
It's certainly a movie that harkens back to the big blockbusters of the 70's and 80's. Really Jurrassic World is Jaws in Jurrasic Park clothing, and there hasn't been a "Jaws" type movie for a long time. It draws the nostalgia crowd and the young kids are loving it too.

I hope that we see more Spielberg type movies coming out. I know J.J. Abrams tried this type of thing with Super 8 and it didn't do too well (although I love that movie), but I haven't seem many other serious attempts to try and do a real popcorn film until this one.

You add Pratt to the mix and it's box office gold.

It's certainly a movie that harkens back to the big blockbusters of the 70's and 80's. Really Jurrassic World is Jaws in Jurrasic Park clothing, and there hasn't been a "Jaws" type movie for a long time. It draws the nostalgia crowd and the young kids are loving it too.

I hope that we see more Spielberg type movies coming out. I know J.J. Abrams tried this type of thing with Super 8 and it didn't do too well (although I love that movie), but I haven't seem many other serious attempts to try and do a real popcorn film until this one.

You add Pratt to the mix and it's box office gold.

Yeah, Chris' star is rising in a very big way. I'd love to see more popcorn myself. Liked Super 8 also. GotG really got him on the map in a big way. I remember walking out of the theater after that movie with a big, fat, grin on my face. At this point, I'll pretty much go to just about any movie he makes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way and THAT is why he's going to have a lot of zeros on his paychecks.

If he actually goes through with that Ninja Cowboy Viking script, that thing is gonna make bank.

yeah Pratt is eminently likeable
I would def like to see some more varied roles from him though, something where he's not the pretty goofy guy, at this point Indiana Jones or a role like that would be too similar to what he's been doing

Anyone knows how well this is doing in China? From what i heard it has made over 170 million when adjusted to dollars, is it heading towards Avengers 2 numbers?

Anyone knows how well this is doing in China? From what i heard it has made over 170 million when adjusted to dollars, is it heading towards Avengers 2 numbers?

$181 million as of today, should end its run over $200 million but I don't think it beats AoU.

Is Pratt a big reason for this doing so well? I mean I love Pratt but you could replace him here with 100 other actors I like and it wouldn't make much difference to me. I'd actually prefer a character given more of a scientific background (like the originals) or a hunter type (like Muldoon and Roland) rather than an all out action man that we've seen before too many times. The dinos and the park itself did most of the work for me, although I'll certainly be happy to see Pratt in the sequel and am happy to see him raising his profile ever further. Really hope he lands that Indy role, could really nail that IMO.

$181 million as of today, should end its run over $200 million but I don't think it beats AoU.

I guess Fast & Furious and Transformers are still the biggest film franchises there then.

Another great weekday. This thing will get to 5th all time domestic very soon.

I still think it could potentially make $700 domestically, especially if the numbers for Terminator & Ant-Man turn out to be as low as they're projecting. Even the estimates for Ted 2 are lower than I thought they'd be.

So either those numbers will be very wrong or Jurassic World is beyond safe.

I still think it could potentially make $700 domestically, especially if the numbers for Terminator & Ant-Man turn out to be as low as they're projecting. Even the estimates for Ted 2 are lower than I thought they'd be.

So either those numbers will be very wrong or Jurassic World is beyond safe.

I think it's certain that none of those movies will come close to reaching Jurassic World. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if it ends up beating Terminator for the July 4th weekend.

Terminator made me laugh so hard when I saw that trailer.

Is Pratt a big reason for this doing so well? I mean I love Pratt but you could replace him here with 100 other actors I like and it wouldn't make much difference to me. I'd actually prefer a character given more of a scientific background (like the originals) or a hunter type (like Muldoon and Roland) rather than an all out action man that we've seen before too many times. The dinos and the park itself did most of the work for me, although I'll certainly be happy to see Pratt in the sequel and am happy to see him raising his profile ever further. Really hope he lands that Indy role, could really nail that IMO.

For me, and my neck of the woods, yes. Pratt for my friends, co-workers, family and I is the primary reason we gone to see this movie. I honestly couldn't see this thing breaking out as big as it did with say, someone like Tom Hardy in the same role, who is a great actor, but he's just not a box office draw.

Yeah, I think Pratt was a major draw. Pairing him with a nostalgic property that appeals to kids and this is what you get. Now imagine if he and Tatum realyl do go ahead with that Akroyd Ghostbusters project!

For me, and my neck of the woods, yes. Pratt for my friends, co-workers, family and I is the primary reason we gone to see this movie. I honestly couldn't see this thing breaking out as big as it did with say, someone like Tom Hardy in the same role, who is a great actor, but he's just not a box office draw.

I see, good to know. It's a useful comparison with Hardy and even as a big fan of Pratt I didn't really fully understand the excess appeal of him here over another similarly capable actor but maybe like you say he really is a box office draw whatever film he's in. If that's so it's cool with me as I want to see him get some huge roles (but NEVAH give up Starlord!).

meh, taste is subjective. I enjoyed this more than either avengers movie.
I can't remember having more fun in a movie. I've battled (and beaten) generalized anxiety in earlier years.The last 25 minutes of the movie had my heart pounding so hard that I had to pull my mind from the movie, and focus on my breathing to calm back down.

Ending with the T Rex was just perfect. I get all the complaints, I hear them, and I see them as all legitimate. But it's too trivial for me (and evidently most everyone else) because nostalgia, dinosaurs, childhood. Call it being simple minded, and I'll laugh at the irony of such a claim regarding myself. Taste is subjective.

Everyone and their mothers loved the movie. And people had a blast watching it. Based on that, it was a great movie. Standards are also subjective.

So did anyone else see The Nostalgia Critic/Doug Walker's review of the movie? In my opinion, that was one of the most biased, pointless, knee jerk, and poorly done reviews I've seen in a while. It was just 20 minutes of him wangsting over the movie (and I generally like him and his content, but he really missed the mark this time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"