Justice League or Justice League of America?

At least the world actually likes Australians. Haha
ha, I love australia. Anyway, I am a proud american and I love my country. Our past seems to be similar to a rollercoaster, with highs and lows. we apparently are on a low point now according to the rest of the world. oh well.

No matter what it is called it will make UnGodly amounts of money here in the US alone. Everyone knows who the JLA is. The fact that all of the big players in the DC universe will be on the screen at the same time will be what sells this. Even if you call it JLA over seas people will still come to see it just to see all the heroes together.

Telling people that they should be ashamed of and hide their nationality to not offend or put off some idiots in some other countries is a completely asinine, offensive, and absurd idea.

well then maybe you should go back and read my first post before you go prematurely assume that's what i did. i never said being American was anything to be ashamed about. i said that "American" isn't something to be proud of or flaunt right now, because in the grand scheme of things, the rest of the world probably hates our guts right now. Bush and co. have tarnished what true Americans are really about. now-a-days, instead of the rest of the world seeing America as noble leaders of the world, we're the greedy, rich nation. granted there are people out there that realize America is more than just the government but never-the-less....the rest of the world isn't looking upon us very highly anymore.

once again, if you read my post carefully...then you shouldn't have been offended since i never said that being American is something to be ashamed of. sorry if you took it that way, but that's not how it should've been taken in the first place.

And the fact that you can't make a simple reply without resorting to childish personal attacks just goes to show your lack of any maturity or respect, which would probably explain your first comment.

nah...just don't have too much respect someone who would get offended by such a petty statement. if you truly get offended by something like that then you should probably grow some thicker skin. there've been FAR worse things said on these boards. my "childish, personal attacks" are a reaction to your acting like you got all ass hurt when you shouldn't have.

It's not just a name. I grew up with the team being called the Justice League of America, and prefer The Justice League now. This is going to be an issue. It should not only be dealt with, but dealt with and explored in the film. Do other countries have teams of metahumans? (Russia's Rocket Reds, etc?)Does the rest of the world like the fact that America has this league of godlike beings on their side? Do the heroes represent America, or their respective origin nations and worlds? Does the United States government want to be associated with them regardless of what happens? Personally, I think the Justice League should serve the universe, not just America, and that this should be a theme of the film. I touched on these things in my Justice League script. Personally I think the title should be THE JUSTICE LEAGUE, because it flows better than adding OF AMERICA to it. But at some point in the film, the addition "of America" and it's implications needs to be addressed. And the marketing of this will be a whole different story.

guard...we've had some clashes in the past but i couldn't have said that any better.

It's not just that the rest of the world might be turned off.

The bottom line is the League is there to save the world not just fight for America. That's the bottom line. It's not a political thing. Although America is not what it used to be, sorry people no matter what you may think the world does not see us as the good guys, and honestly we aren't anymore. We were a great nation once, and have the potential to be again, but we've lost our way.

I think you are misreading my posts. I did not say the heroes are claiming America. I mean America is claiming the heroes. Wonder Woman does not represent Themyscera? The Martian Manhunter does not represent Mars (what's left of it)? Aquaman does not represent Atlantis? Hawkman. Green Lantern alone doesn't just represent earth but this entire section of the universe. They stand for truth and justice but who besides Superman said anything about American ideals? Living here is not the same as representing here. I live in America but I've been waving a St. Lucian flag before I even got here at 8 years old.

i think no matter what wonder woman or martian manhunter or aquaman are up to, theres always gonna be some sort of natural representation of their heritage. but that also doesnt mean they're not part of the american culture, as thats become a big part of their life. but, i'd say the representation of their respective heritage's take a back seat when they're working as a team.

i agree with guard that the film should involve this issue. it could be a great theme and sub-plot. obviously a lot of people around the world are pissed with america. but i've always imagined the team not necessarily standing for what america IS, but what it SHOULD BE. this would obviously cause clashes with their own government, but thats got good story potential.

but again, while you can make a solid argument for not having "america" in the team name, all your points have been rooted in connection to the story and characters (which is entirely rational, by the way). my issue is, thats not why the studio would drop the the name. my issue is they'd drop it because of PC gone too far.

Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, that's probably the case. I think that's why they dropped it for the animated series too (also why they had John Stewart and Hawkgirl as opposed to Kyle Rayner and Hawkman). Glad Marvel is at least powering through with their Captain America.

You’re absolutely wrong in your statement because the fact of the matter is, THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD IS VERY INTERESTED IN EVERY THING THAT IS AMERICA. I’m not talking just the movie and music industries, or THE JUSTICE LEAGUE of yes AMERICA. I’m talking about our whole way of life. In the grand scheme of things, AMERICA IS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERS. Whether you hate us or love us, whether you agree or disagree with our politics, America’s influences on popular culture is every where. No I wouldn’t be bit interested in anything that comes out of Bollywood but, every one is interested in what comes from America. America is not a four letter word and shouldn’t be omitted because it’s offensive to the rest of the world.
This is the most ignorant post i have ever read! seriously, what makes you think this? this may have been the case a few decades ago but its certainly not true right now. American way of life is rejected in most countries? why? because school systems arent as proficient, because the government isnt much of a government, because most people here are lazy (yes i said it). i am american and i dont deny our weaknesses.

Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, that's probably the case. I think that's why they dropped it for the animated series too (also why they had John Stewart and Hawkgirl as opposed to Kyle Rayner and Hawkman). Glad Marvel is at least powering through with their Captain America.

Well what else do you call captain america? I don't read cap so don't really know much but is he an america based superhero and not worldwide anyway? Plus he's an all american guy anyway so it makes sense

I think this thread could've been better and more decisive with a poll.

I think this has been talked to death in other threads all over. For what its worth last I heard it's being reffered to as JL- not JLA. That's what I'm sticking with.

Does it really matter? People will see Superman and Batman in the trailers and they won't care what the movie is called.

never said being American was anything to be ashamed about. i said that "American" isn't something to be proud of or flaunt right now
And that is, in my very humble opinion, utterly ridiculous, and extremely foolish.

Y'see, to me, it doesn't make sense that you're pride or patriotism in your country should waver and change with each administration. It's - for lack of a better term - fair weather patriotism.

I'm not saying you can't be displeased with your government or country, but a country - ALL countries - are about much, MUCH more than just who's elected at the moment. They're about hundred-year histories, a culture and society all their own and totally individual, they're about people, and beliefs, and ways of life, and those things don't change with elections. They may ebb and flow, they may be poorly represented or not even represented at all at times, but they can't change with one person. Not in a democracy, at least. And that's what your patriotism should be about; you're believe in the people, in the society, in the beliefs; not the elections, not the specific administrations.

If you have a problem with the people or the beliefs; that's fine - be disenfranchised. Honestly, I'm starting to find myself disenfranchised with certain aspects - but to say, oh I'm not proud of my country because I don't like this president is as ridiculous as it is pointless.

Furthermore, it's extremely foolish to base your opinions on outside influences and opinions. I'm not trying to say anything ill about the rest of the world, but they aren't always right. They certainly don't always agree either. And, most importantly, if they're intelligent themselves, they'll too realize that America, it's government, and it's people is about so much more than just George W. Bush. And while they may not like George W. Bush, while George W. Bush may truly suck ass, that is not a fair - or, at least, total - representation of the country. Of the society.

And if they aren't bright enough to make that distinction, that's their problem. It shouldn't be yours, and it shouldn't be mine.

And while yes, I understand you're talking about box office in this case, I'm just addressing the principle of the thing at the moment.

Well what else do you call captain america? I don't read cap so don't really know much but is he an america based superhero and not worldwide anyway? Plus he's an all american guy anyway so it makes sense

Well they could just as easily NOT make the movie. :oldrazz: It's takes much more effort to get a movie done than not so if they wanted to be PC they could just avoid the whole potential fiasco but I doubt the world really cares if movies are America centric are not. These films are coming from here in the first place of course.

My argument for JLA was just because I never understood why the America was necessary. Like I said before, like making the UN the UNA.

And if they aren't bright enough to make that distinction, that's their problem. It shouldn't be yours, and it shouldn't be mine.

And while yes, I understand you're talking about box office in this case, I'm just addressing the principle of the thing at the moment.

i agree with most of what you said, but as you said...you were addressing the whole "americans shouldn't be proud to be american" principle, i was addressing it with the box office in mind. 2 totally different things...which is why it shouldn't have been taken as "omg, he's saying we should be ashamed of being americans" but instead "it'd be more beneficial to the movie if it didn't limit the group to just americans". my fault for wording it so harshly...i didn't think anyone would get all riled up by my comment.

And that is, in my very humble opinion, utterly ridiculous, and extremely foolish.

Y'see, to me, it doesn't make sense that you're pride or patriotism in your country should waver and change with each administration. It's - for lack of a better term - fair weather patriotism.

I'm not saying you can't be displeased with your government or country, but a country - ALL countries - are about much, MUCH more than just who's elected at the moment. They're about hundred-year histories, a culture and society all their own and totally individual, they're about people, and beliefs, and ways of life, and those things don't change with elections. They may ebb and flow, they may be poorly represented or not even represented at all at times, but they can't change with one person. Not in a democracy, at least. And that's what your patriotism should be about; you're believe in the people, in the society, in the beliefs; not the elections, not the specific administrations.

If you have a problem with the people or the beliefs; that's fine - be disenfranchised. Honestly, I'm starting to find myself disenfranchised with certain aspects - but to say, oh I'm not proud of my country because I don't like this president is as ridiculous as it is pointless.

Furthermore, it's extremely foolish to base your opinions on outside influences and opinions. I'm not trying to say anything ill about the rest of the world, but they aren't always right. They certainly don't always agree either. And, most importantly, if they're intelligent themselves, they'll too realize that America, it's government, and it's people is about so much more than just George W. Bush. And while they may not like George W. Bush, while George W. Bush may truly suck ass, that is not a fair - or, at least, total - representation of the country. Of the society.

Completely agree with you. I hate these fair weather type.

This is the most ignorant post i have ever read! seriously, what makes you think this? this may have been the case a few decades ago but its certainly not true right now. American way of life is rejected in most countries? why? because school systems arent as proficient, because the government isnt much of a government, because most people here are lazy (yes i said it). i am american and i dont deny our weaknesses.

The reason why I think this way is because of people like you. You fatten yourself and reap the benefits and spoils of a free nation when all is good in your sheltered little world. The moment things go wrong and the world screams foul and begins to point their dirty fingers at America. You turn your back and cry foul just as loud. No, we are not a perfect nation and neither is the government. But I am still proud to be an American. And being an American means for better or worse, you don’t compromise who you are. By the way I was not born in America and I literally crawled out of one of the worst slums ever seen in one of the poorest nations on Earth before coming here. Dreaming and fantasizing about the American way of life helped my family and I survive. My appreciation for this country runs deeper than you will ever know. You say most people in the world reject the American way of life? My friend you couldn’t be more wrong if it smacked you in the face. :oldrazz:

Like i said earlier, that may have been true many years ago, but thats been changing, specially lately when the the United States doesnt even want to share the American Dream with others (Hispanics). And in case you did not know, there are many other countries with as many blessings as ours.

Like i said earlier, that may have been true many years ago, but thats been changing, specially lately when the the United States doesnt even want to share the American Dream with others (Hispanics). And in case you did not know, there are many other countries with as many blessings as ours.

meh huh? you mean, we just want them to do it legally?

How about the movie would be called JLA... the Justice League of Awesomeness...

yep! as long as it gets made I don't care if the JLA stands for Just Laugh Alone.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"