Sequels Kill The Kryptonite

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
No Kryptonite or mention of it in MOS. Is it a must that it be introduced in this version of Supes? Can they make him vulernable to some forms of physical harm without it?

They can bring it in the second film. It should just be a big deal. It shouldn't be that every person with some money can get ahold of it.

Kryptonite should be in the sequel. One piece only. Either in Metallo or Lex using it as a weapon along with an army.

I think it just needs to be ultra rare and not something everyone has.

Kryptonite should be in the sequel. One piece only. Either in Metallo or Lex using it as a weapon along with an army.

I think it should be Lex and Metallo working together. So yeah. Good call.

I'd rather avoid it AND Lex in the early going if at all possible. Kryptonite has been a plot device in 3 of the 5 previous films, and Lex was in 4 films. Yeah, I know MOS is a reboot, but even so I'd prefer not to overuse both of those wells, frankly.

If Metallo shows up I'd rather he were a byproduct of salvaged Kryptonian technology/metallurgy, capable of hurting Superman just by beating the **** out of him.

If they use kryptonite it has to be extremely rare, and only used by one villain (not every villain in MOS2 and MOS3) and how the story uses it needs to be more interesting than just the standard "villain displays kryptonite to Superman, Superman gets weak, villain kicks Superman around, somehow villain loses the kryptonite and fumbles, Superman regains strength and wins..."....

it's overdone.

I like the way it was handled in the cartoon. A museum gets robbed and Superman accidentally encounters the material .I hope it's introduced in the sequel , but not overdone.

Save it for Justice League, it would force Superman to realize he might not be so super and would cause him to rely on his friends like the Justice League for help. It gives character development, something people like in movies.

I think it might be cool to play with people's expectations first.

My idea would be for Lex to find some small amount of Kryptonite but not understand how it's used. But in the aftermath of the Battle of Metropolis, people start getting sick with classic "Kryptonite" symptoms except Superman. Lex has manufactured a crisis with a synthetic virus. Lex uses that to turn people against Supes and it's not until Superman confronts him that we see Superman exposed to the real stuff and Lex now knows how to beat Superman in the third movie.

I see no reason to have Kryptonite in the next film. No Superman stories have ever been made better by the inclusion of Kryptonite. No Superman stories have ever been made worse by the exclusion of Kryptonite. Kryptonite is by far the least necessary aspect of the Superman mythos. When Denny O'Neil, one of the best writers DC has ever had, took over writing for Superman at the tail end of the silver age, the first thing he did was make Superman immune to Kryptonite. Kryptonite barely appeared in Superman comics throughout the late 80s and most of the 90s, to the point that there was a ten year stretch of the character's appearances where Metallo did not have a Kryptonite core, and instead relied on his strength and a later upgrade allowing for shapeshifting abilities to battle Superman. If you ask people to make a list of the top five best Superman stories ever, generally you're going to see Kingdom Come, All Star Superman, Whatever Happened to the man of Tomorrow, For The Man Who Has Everything, and What's So Funny About Truth Justice and The American Way? on such lists. Kryptonite is in exactly one of those stories, and even then it's barely in that one.

You don't need Kryptonite to write a Superman story with stakes and genuine conflict. All you need is talent.

Yes :up:

What would be the explanation of how kryptonite came to earth be? Usually isn't it presented as arriving with clark and his ship falling from the sky as meteors?

I can almost see them not using K and maybe lex re-rigging some left over kyptonian tech, the same that took away superman's powers when he was on zod's ship.

I want to see it in one movie. Maybe it could return for JL.

I think it should be used in the sequel.I think a Lex/Metallo team-up would be the perfect use for it.

What would be the explanation of how kryptonite came to earth be? Usually isn't it presented as arriving with clark and his ship falling from the sky as meteors?

Just say that the World Engine created it as a byproduct of the terraforming process. Lex's people discover it as they work to repair the damage to Metropolis.

Bring it and Luthor in the second film. Preferably with Metallo to make it different. Then have Luthor get away clean, so that he can play a part (IMO) in both a WF film where he teams up (and gets doubled cross by) the Joker and in MOS3 where he unearths Doomsday and brings about the destruction of his own empire.

No kryptonite. Only useful if superman has no legitimate challenge. I'd rather see a legitimate challenge.

I honestly have a feeling kryptonite may not even appear in this series. That's not necessarily a bad thing either.

Kryptonite has almost become the lazy way of bringing superman down, i'd honestly like to see another take on how that could be done to superman, without the glowing rock?

i want a scene where superman grabs lex to try and reason with him then he starts bleeding from his nose slowly and coughing then luthor opens his mouths and spits a piece of krypton at superman:oldrazz:

Keep Kryptonite - Just weaken its effect on Superman

I dont want to see Superman falling to his knees and vomiting when hes anywhere near the rock.

Maybe Kryptonite reduces his power and speed 50 or 75%. I dont want him in a fetal position everytime sombody brings it around.

Last edited:
When Superman was exposed to the air on Zod's ship that mimicked the Kryptonian atmostphere, he reeled in pain, feel to his knees, and coughed up blood. I would assume if actual Kryptonite were introduced in the series, it would have a similar effect.

I really really hope they completely leave Kryptonite out of this DCCU. It's the cheapest, most gimmicky trick ever invented to make Superman "more relatable."

A simple solution to this is just make Superman general less powerful like how he's depicted in MoS, that's perfect.

Superman can be stunned/knocked out by human weapons. And probably killed by really heavy human weapons like a tactical nuke, and maybe a rail gun. I'd prefer that for the DCCU then the cheap trick known as kryponite.

I've never read/seen a kryptonite storyline/plot point that I liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"