Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Not great imo. I actually just played through Dragon Age Origins, their last game properly in that mold, and it feels really ancient at this point.

it still holds up for me, but that might be mostly the nostalgia (probably do a playthough at least once a year) but I also don't play a lot of modern games to compare too, so I don't really care about graphics and such

it has it's bugy moments for an older game, sure, but... I still like it

Yeah, it still holds up for me, but that might be an old school PC gamer thing. I still love and play a lot of PC games from the 90s and early 2000s. I think a lot of the QOL aren't as problematic when you have a monitor close-up and aren't relying on a controller. Also, playing old school strategy games like Civ and C&C tends to make someone care less about frills and bells and whistles like super-engaging combat. But I can totally understand why it would be disorienting for someone used to playing modern console games... Very, very different types of experiences.

Also, Darth, the console version of Dragon Age: Origins frankly just sucks. It is a pale reflection of the PC version. The gameplay and combat mechanics are vastly more enjoyable when played from an isometric perspective with mouse and keyboard, Baldur's Gate-style. I feel trying to play with a controller Mass Effect-style would be horrendous.

I'm just getting flashbacks to fans complaining about features being streamlined for each successive Mass Effect game. Changing the interface so it's less clunky is one thing, it's another thing entirely to change the game from a turn based rpg into a action rpg to dumb it down for a general audience.

Also, Darth, the console version of Dragon Age: Origins frankly just sucks. It is a pale reflection of the PC version. The gameplay and combat mechanics are vastly more enjoyable when played from an isometric perspective with mouse and keyboard, Baldur's Gate-style. I feel trying to play with a controller Mass Effect-style would be horrendous.
I've never played DA: Origins on consoles, but I would believe that since it's essentially a CRPG.

I've never played DA: Origins on consoles, but I would believe that since it's essentially a CRPG.
Neither have, but I had a friend who was a console gamer when it came out and ranted about how much it sucked and I convinced him to give it another go when he built a gaming PC a couple years later. He said it was like night and day.

I feel like it would be like trying to play an RTS game on console, which we all know go together like oil and water.

Yeah, it still holds up for me, but that might be an old school PC gamer thing. I still love and play a lot of PC games from the 90s and early 2000s. I think a lot of the QOL aren't as problematic when you have a monitor close-up and aren't relying on a controller. Also, playing old school strategy games like Civ and C&C tends to make someone care less about frills and bells and whistles like super-engaging combat. But I can totally understand why it would be disorienting for someone used to playing modern console games... Very, very different types of experiences.

The PC didn't give me a platinum. The PS3 one did. Hence, it's superior. :o

Not remake related, but the original KotoR is getting a Nintendo Switch port. Looking forward to this because I can't get my PC to run KotoR above 600x800 without cropping out three quarters of the screen.

Not remake related, but the original KotoR is getting a Nintendo Switch port. Looking forward to this because I can't get my PC to run KotoR above 600x800 without cropping out three quarters of the screen.
Yeah KotOR was locked at 4:3 resolutions. There's a custom patch to run the game in widescreen though but it must be a non-Steam version.

I preordered the Collector's Edition for the Switch.

Okay, kill Eclipse too, and I will call it fair.

Well that didn't last long. I wonder what happened...I know it's not cancelled outright, but being delayed indefinitely doesn't bode well for the future.

While I'm here

I'm just getting flashbacks to fans complaining about features being streamlined for each successive Mass Effect game. Changing the interface so it's less clunky is one thing, it's another thing entirely to change the game from a turn based rpg into a action rpg to dumb it down for a general audience.

I mean

81vi7OqaZ7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's exactly what FF7R did and that was fantastic.

Also the gameplay objectively gets better in each new Mass Effect. If anything the streamlining was at its worst with ME2. ME3, if anything, introduced more complexity and nuance to the gameplay itself. All they did for streamlining was remove the paragon/renegade division for dialogue. And that still gives the benefit of letting you do the actual roleplaying aspect a lot better because you can just say what your Shep would say in that moment. In turn allowing your Shep to have a more nuanced character than goodie two shoes "let's save the world with diplomacy" or "raging jackass with a hard on for violence"

Last edited:
While I'm here

I mean

81vi7OqaZ7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's exactly what FF7R did and that was fantastic.

Not really. It's ok for what it is, but it offers a shallow experience in comparison and you were sold not even half the game for full price. At least in FF7 remake's favour they still had some form of menu system and a degree of control over teammates. It's a lot closer in comparison than taking a turn based rpg where you controlled a team to making a Nioh clone.

I'm celebrating this news.

Everything I've see of FF7R is that is more Xenoblade than action game.

Aspyr absolutely bit off more than they could chew with this. Even by turn based RPG systems, KOTOR's wouldn't fly today.

Well that didn't last long. I wonder what happened...I know it's not cancelled outright, but being delayed indefinitely doesn't bode well for the future.
Apparently the studio put in charge of the remake doesn't have a great track record. My guess is this turned out to be a much bigger and more expensive job than they or EA realized. They probably thought they could slap a new coat of paint on it, crank out some half baked remake, and get some easy cred. This game needs a complete rebuild from the engine up. It would be a whole modern game production.

Everything I've see of FF7R is that is more Xenoblade than action game.

Aspyr absolutely bit off more than they could chew with this. Even by turn based RPG systems, KOTOR's wouldn't fly today.

The last third of FF7R is honestly an exhausting marathon of action. Not necessarily bad, but I can't think of another game that goes that hard for that long.

This was both my most anticipated PS5 game and Star Wars thing on the horizon so the news is a total bummer.

Maybe it's for the best though. The top devs in the industry seem to struggle to put together content rich and functioning RPGs these days, so it was probably a crazy project for Aspyr to tackle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"