Krypton Krypton - General Discussion Thread

They've set the show AFTER most of the interesting stuff in Krypton's history, so that's unlikely. The Clone Wars and the formation of Black Zero, creation of the Eradicator, creation of the Destroyer, Nightwing/Flamebird reborn, the proper Doomsday origin, the end of procreation and the banning of intergalactic travel and all the political strife that surrounded that, - all of these could have provided great themes to explore and would have been far more interesting than this basic, bland Zod story they've given us, imo. Because the thing is - we always get Zod in present day stories. The cool potential about a Krypton prequel is finally getting to see some OTHER part of Kryptonian heritage for a change. But instead they just brought Zod back in time to focus on him yet again. But even if the setting worked and they could still do all that other stuff later, saving the interesting stuff for later seasons is hardly a wise strategy for any TV show that plans to survive. You're supposed to hold people's interest throughout. They're failing to do that for me, and based on other reactions here in this thread, it looks like I'm not alone.

I'd argue that the reason he's never been allowed to put his plans into action is because there's nothing particularly interesting about them. This is as generic a tyrant story on a generic sci-fi landscape as they come. It's boring as hell, imo. This version of Zod has less nuance than even the one from the "New Krypton" arc from the comics. At least in that version, though you disagreed with him, you could see why so many Kryptonians looked up to him and thought him a good guy and a hero. This version might as well be wearing a neon sign that says "I AM A TYRANT, FEED MY EGO!" Should've just given him a proper mustache to twirl to complete the look.

Agreed, which is why it sucks how they shoehorned him in and wasted significant screentime on him this season.

Also, if that was Brainiac's "main storyline" last season, then hoo boy was it disappointing. It was all the build-up minus the big finish. If they weren't planning on having him take Kandor, the one big atrocity in Krypton's history that he's famous for...then they shouldn't have bothered, imo.

So much wasted potential. If only we could've seen some of that Kryptonian history. That was what I was hoping for when this series was announced. But then it was more and more worrying when all that other stuff was announced, like future Zod and Adam. It's like they never had faith to tell Krypton's story without a gimmick like time travel and Superman's disappearing cape. If you're going to tell Krypton's story, then tell it properly. Don't mess with it before it has even been established.

Krypton EP/Showrunner Cam Welsh's statement about the cancellation, including that the Lobo spinoff is "far from dead" and he will comment about it further later:

In a weird way Krypton getting cancelled has given the show more press than it did when it was on air.

So many outlets that never even reviewed an episode are doing breakdowns of it's cancellation.

Krypton EP/Showrunner Cam Welsh's statement about the cancellation, including that the Lobo spinoff is "far from dead" and he will comment about it further later:

If DC are building there streaming platform, then it makes sense to put it on there.

If the Lobo show isn't dead, then he could still go get Jor-El from Brainiac. :funny:

Although....Cam Welsh posted this regarding what he would've done the first episode of Krypton Season 3:

Last edited:
It never hit me how many alien races there are in DC. They really should have a laundry list of characters to adapt.

It never hit me how many alien races there are in DC. They really should have a laundry list of characters to adapt.

IKR. There's so much mythology there with stuff like Rann and Thanagar, the Green Lantern universe, the Legion of Super-Heroes etc. It really should all be up there on the big screen by now. It should be in the movies.

The Krypton show had a lot of ambitions for that but unfortunately it couldn't get the planet Krypton right first. :o

Seriously, there was a glimpse of a good Krypton show in Season 1, but something was lost in Season 2, and judging by some of these Season 3 ideas Cam is sharing, it would still have been going off on this tangent.

Time to bring Lobo, Brainiac, Adam Strange, and the Thanagarians to Supergirl!!

No thank you. Just because the producers for this show did a great job in adapting some of the characters listed above, doesn't mean that the producers for "Supergirl" would do the same.

I mean we have to remember that THIS is what we got for Indigo on "Supergirl".

rs_600x600-160229090056-600.supergirl-laura-vandervoort-2.ch.02916.jpg

And production values aside, who's the say that the characters would be used or portrayed in a way that would appeal to fans and audiences alike? Look at how badly Hawkman and Hawkgirl were used and portrayed in Legends of Tomorrow.

I prefer quality over quantity and go with the saying " just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done".

No thank you. Just because the producers for this show did a great job in adapting some of the characters listed above, doesn't mean that the producers for "Supergirl" would do the same.

I mean we have to remember that THIS is what we got for Indigo on "Supergirl".

rs_600x600-160229090056-600.supergirl-laura-vandervoort-2.ch.02916.jpg

And production values aside, who's the say that the characters would be used or portrayed in a way that would appeal to fans and audiences alike? Look at how badly Hawkman and Hawkgirl were used and portrayed in Legends of Tomorrow.

I prefer quality over quantity and go with the saying " just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done".
I’m torn here; I’d love to see the (now lost) characters and their potential explored, but at the same time, I can’t help but worry that the CW would ruin them. Characters such as Brainiac and Lobo should be something big in their own right. The only main villain I feel the CW have done well is Eobard Thawne, and then to some lesser extent, Slade Wilson.

I think they’d butcher Lobo and Brainiac (though an exchange between Brainiac and Brainy would be ... interesting).

I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1. Doomsday looked weird. Like a rock version of Zod.
Brainiac was awesome, and his as Seg's scenes were the best. Lobo was great. I didn't care for Seg and Lyta's romance. I was rooting for Seg and Nyssa.

Sad that this show was cancelled.

The show, which was produced by an outside studio — Warner Horizon — was unable to cut through and find an audience. Wednesday's finale drew just 350,000 same-day viewers, with season two averaging a total of only 408,000. That's down considerably from the 1.8 million viewers (with three days of DVR) from season one.

Superman Prequel 'Krypton' Canceled at Syfy

Well I can't say I'm surprised that this got cancelled. Nobody ever really talked about it even though I think it's a pretty decent show. I did like this season overall, but they really underused Doomsday and Lobo which was kind of surprising considering how much they were all over the marketing. Hell Doomsday was pretty much the main reason why I even stuck around to watch this season. Other than Brainiac still being pretty dope there wasn't a whole lot to enjoy IMO, although I do like Shaun Sipos as Adam Strange and the guys they got to play Zod and Lobo were pretty entertaining whenever they were onscreen.

I did expect more Doomsday this season. Yes he got his origin story but they held off using him until the end. There was that brief attack he made on the ship early on but I thought we'd see more stuff like that.

It would've been good to see more Lobo in action mode (with his Spacehog) on Krypton too.

I just finished watching season 2 not too long ago. Overall, not bad. However, I can understand why the show wasn't renewed.

Would I have liked to have seen where they would have gone with a third season? Sure.

Here is just a small recap.

PROS:

- I thought that the cast did a good job with what they were given with.

- The production value for this season was, for the most part, very good.

- Any usage of the classic Superman theme was a welcomed one. I loved how they used it when revealing that Cor-Vex was actually Jor-el.

- Doomsday's design on this show is far more impressive than the one that we got in BvS imho. I particularly loved his tragic backstory here. Too bad "Smallville" never went that route with their version of the character.

- I liked Lobo's portrayal, overall. I would have loved to have seen what kind of crazy adventures he would go on when accompanied by Seg and Adam.

- Nyssa was the real MVP of this season imho.

- I actually liked the idea that Zod was comparing Seg to Superman in their final fight and how it looked as though he were picturing himself fighting Superman through Seg in some ways.

CONS:

- There were times where I felt like this show was trying to be the Sci-Fi/Space version of "Game of Thrones" with the gore and blood shown, along with how people just randomly hook up with each other.lol

- Speaking of which, I'm glad that I don't consider myself a shipper for any of the pairings on this show because I would find myself completely frustrated with how flaky Seg-el looks at times when it comes to his interactions with Nyssa and Lyta. I can honestly say that I felt bad for the former because of how it feels like Seg just gives the poor woman false hope of having a future together whenever they're on their own but immediately forgets about her when Lyta is concerned.

- Like others have stated, I felt like Zod's story overstayed its welcome. Krypton has such a rich and diverse mythology/history that it's so weird that they couldn't go past the whole Zod saga.

- I don't understand why Seg didn't have powers on Brainiac's home world since it didn't look like the planet had a red sun.

- You would think that Adam Strange would feel more broken up over the fact that Superman, the guy that he traveled all the way through time to save, no longer exists because of his (unintentional) actions.

They need sendthe whole thing to HBO Max and be done with it.

Hate to bump up an old thread but my son and I just watched this series and thought it was really good.

I only saw the first two episodes of "Krypton", and was not very impressed at all. It seemed more in line with something like "Blade Runner", than anything to do with Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"