Krypton Krypton - General Discussion Thread

The show isn’t perfect, but I like Cuffe and Georgina Campbell in their roles. I also liked Alura Zod and Adam Strange was okay. I dig the time travel premise; Superman’s cape is essentially Marty McFly’s photo of his family.

The biggest disappointments were Barristan Selmy getting offed in the first five minutes and Greg Lastrade being a total non factor. But whatever; at least Barristan comes back (probably in a Jor-El kinda way).

Not sure about the Many Faced God (is that guy a character from the comics?). But I LOVE Brainiac’s look and I totally geeked out when I saw his skull ship.

It was okay. Hoping to see more Brainiac soon because Ritson and the skull ship look awesome.

Pilot was interesting. the show has my attention. I loved the Williams theme nod and it's nice to see a proper Brainiac on screen.

however, I've already noticed one possible "mistake" in the lore/world building.

so far, the females names don't seem to follow traditional female Kryptonian naming conventions.

single females, like Kara, have their father's full name as their last name. Hence, Kara Zor-El.

yet, in this show, we have Lyta Zod. Lyta is not yet married. So, shouldn't her last name really be her father's full name.

also, there's the blonde chick Nyssa who's pledged to Seg. in the BTS promos, I see her name as Nyssa-Vex. again, that doesn't follow the naming convention.

idk........I guess I'm just a stickler for details like that. and with all the attention to details they've made to creating the world and culture in Krypton, I just find it odd they would "miss" that naming convention for the females.

the only explanation I can think of, if it's not an oversight, is that the naming convention doesn't come into play until Jor-El and Zor-El's generation.

I guess.......maybe in Jor-El and Zor-El's time, the practice of pledged/arranged marriages is done away with. but in its place, unmarried females take their father's full name as their last name to honor their family or something.......

Last edited:
The showrunner wrote the morgue episode of Ash vs Evil Dead. :funny:

Is this like the Man of Steel movie, but without Superman?

From reading the reviews, I was expecting the worst. But I actually enjoyed it. I did geek out pretty much straight away seeing the establishing shot of Kandor. It was just pretty awesome seeing all these Superman comics (and TV and movie) references onscreen.

The overall tone is a bit sombre. But I think the showrunners have written it with care and thoughtfulness to the Superman lore. Maybe it is a bit too reverent, so it doesn't really let loose. But there is time to make the planet come alive a bit more, maybe have Seg interact with characters that give it more spark. Krypton needs to feel like a more relatable world. They could have families, children, friends, characters that have a bit more emotion. But they are portraying a repressed alien world with these hard factions so how much can they really move away from that?

Adam Strange was ok. It was interesting seeing a modern Earth character suddenly on this strange alien world, and his point of view/perspective could be interesting.

Is this like the Man of Steel movie, but without Superman?

There is a lot taken from Man of Steel's Krypton. The guilds (also in the comics), the design, the genesis chamber etc. David S. Goyer took a lot he established in MOS.

This article talks a bit about it:

Krypton is a muddled requiem for the Snyderverse: EW review

The only thing that I'm confused about is how can this show take place 200 years before Superman was born? Seg-el is Superman's father so unless he had Jor-el when he was a 100 years old, with the latter having Kal-el at the same age, then it doesn't make any sense.

Pilot was interesting. the show has my attention. I loved the Williams theme nod and it's nice to see a proper Brainiac on screen.

however, I've already noticed one possible "mistake" in the lore/world building.

so far, the females names don't seem to follow traditional female Kryptonian naming conventions.

single females, like Kara, have their father's full name as their last name. Hence, Kara Zor-El.

yet, in this show, we have Lyta Zod. Lyta is not yet married. So, shouldn't her last name really be her father's full name.

also, there's the blonde chick Nyssa who's pledged to Seg. in the BTS promos, I see her name as Nyssa-Vex. again, that doesn't follow the naming convention.

idk........I guess I'm just a stickler for details like that. and with all the attention to details they've made to creating the world and culture in Krypton, I just find it odd they would "miss" that naming convention for the females.

the only explanation I can think of, if it's not an oversight, is that the naming convention doesn't come into play until Jor-El and Zor-El's generation.

I guess.......maybe in Jor-El and Zor-El's time, the practice of pledged/arranged marriages is done away with. but in its place, unmarried females take their father's full name as their last name to honor their family or something.......

Is it really that important that Lyta-Zod keep that surname though? I thought it was more to establish that she has Zod blood. She is an ancestor of the Zod we know. She is from that brutal violent military guild. Opposite to the El family. To hype up the star-crossed lovers angle with Seg-El. She can have her name changed after marriage, I guess, and she is still a Zod by blood.

I am confused though, because Jor-El is married to Lara Lor-Van and she didn't change her name...

Okay I just looked on wiki for Lara's page and it said this:

Lara (née Lara Lor-Van) is a fictional character who appears in Superman comics published by DC Comics. Lara is the biological mother of Superman, and the wife of scientist Jor-El. Lara Lor-Van is Lara's full maiden name, as "Lor-Van" is the name of Lara's father. Most depictions of Kryptonian culture show that Kryptonian women use their father's full name as their last names before marriage. After marriage, they usually are known simply by their first names, though various versions show they use their husband's full name or last name as their married last name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_(comics)

Last edited:
The only thing that I'm confused about is how can this show take place 200 years before Superman was born? Seg-el is Superman's father so unless he had Jor-el when he was a 100 years old, with the latter having Kal-el at the same age, then it doesn't make any sense.
You're assuming Kryptonians have the same lifespan as humans. Which this show has already shown is not true, since Seg's test tube baby was predicted to live "175 cycles" or something by that Oracle thing. Which was probably deliberately put in there to show that Kryptonians live longer than humans, by a large margin.

And since they have all kinds of advanced technology, one would assume their medical technology is equally as advanced. That alone would increase their lifespan far beyond ours. No need to start popping out kids at 20 when you have 155 years of life ahead of you.

You see how Superman ages, which is more due to his physiology than the yellow sun. He'll outlive most of his friends outside the immortal or alien ones.

Loved it. Very hopeful for the future of this show. Although I agree with the time travel and Adam Strange story. I hope they resolve that and move past it.

For the most part it was ok but a couple things I could live without

Seg-El/Zod romance
Time Traveller
I would prefer a robotic Brainiac

Also wouldn't it be better to do a Jor-El story instead of Seg-El

Yea at first the Seg-el thing didn't make sense, but there further in time you have the less you need to worry about plot holes that would effect Superman and the rest of the universe.

Gotham for example is a few decades away from Batman, and that's too close for my liking. There's way too much use of his rouges gallery in the show creating all kinds of bizarre plot holes.

they can use the man of steel soundtrack on this couldn't they :thinking:

I enjoyed the pilot way more than I expected. I think they fleshed out Seg-El well, I'm also very intrigued by Jayna and Nyssa .

My favorite thing was the production value. I usually don't watch shows from Syfy because I think they look cheap, but Krypton did not disappoint. It looked amazing.

Last edited:
they can use the man of steel soundtrack on this couldn't they :thinking:

Perhaps, but Pinar Toprak (the composer of Krypton) also did additional music for Justice League, so if anything I'd expect the show to sound more like that than the earlier Zimmer films. But I haven't seen the show yet so I don't know what the score's like.

I thought the pilot was just ok. Outside of the production design and Brainiac, nothing or anyone blew me away. Seems like a fine start.

If I knew how to make gifs I would. Can someone PLEASE make me a gif of the cape from the teaser trailer?? The one where it's disintegrating....

Last edited:
I thought the pilot was just ok. Outside of the production design and Brainiac, nothing or anyone blew me away. Seems like a fine start.

Dude, your avvy is killing me. :applaud

I think they tried to cram a lot into the pilot (which tends to happen a lot with TV shows). I feel like later episodes will explore things in depth a bit more and flesh out the characters.

Also, did anyone else think that one dude who condemned Barristan Selmy at the beginning and then tried to marry Seg off to his daughter looked like a discount Russell Crowe?

Thought the pilot was fantastic, the production values on this show are craxy. All in all I give it an 8/10, set up the world and the characters very well.

I just hope they don't do something stupid and mess up the mythos too much.

like making Jor-El and Zor-El half brothers - with Seg having a child with both Lyta and Nyssa.

Finally watched the pilot. I thought it was solid start. I'll keep up with a few episodes and see where this goes. The production value is pretty good.

It was ok. Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Just was very generic.

Usually pilot episodes you have the most money so you really show off what your made of, I dont really think they did that here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"