'Kung-Fu' (CW)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Kaleb, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Dr. From parts unknown

2. Mysteryman Registered

3. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

And I thought Supergirl was overly political :funny:

I enjoyed the episode though. I'm just a fan of all the relationships in this show so far. They work.

4. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

No fighting at all this week.

What's the idea of bringing in BLM protests into a show that's meant to be about Chinese people? Couldn't they have found some other issue to tackle instead that was more specific to them? This felt a bit shoehorned in.

Are they going to deal with other Americans discriminating against Asians because they blame them for Covid? Or does Covid even exist in this universe? But if BLM protests do, then why shouldn't the pandemic?

I feel they could've done without both a white character and a black character in the show just to pander to those demographics and instead let the show be entirely made up of Asian actors. It's as if they're still not confident enough they can stand on their own as a fully Chinese TV series.

5. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

They briefly tackled that, too. Her parents mentioned someone they knew getting beat up and being told to "go back to China"

6. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I heard that but thought it was just general racism and not necessarily related to Covid as they didn't specify that.

7. Sithborg Registered

They absolutely didn't get into it that much, but one of the biggest victims of the Rodney King riots were asian businesses, specifically Koreatown. So, there is some important history there in terms of relationship between BLM and asian hate. The episode is bad on exploring it, instead of focusing more on the idea that there should be solidarity.

And I don't see how Ryan's boyfriend in pandering.

8. Sithborg Registered

Yeah, the Nicki vs Zhilan fight was the good ****.

9. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Well at least there was more action this week. I thought at first it would only be that little fight with the goons. I would've preferred that was a longer fight though more similar in length to the ones in Arrow. At least the later one was longer.

Now what? Will Nicky learn some new skills from someone so she can beat the villain?

Is it a midseason finale this week? If so, how long is it taking a break for and when will it be back?

#84 Dark Raven, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  10. Sithborg Registered

It skips one week.

11. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Well that's not really a mid season finale then since shows do that all the time. I thought it would be a couple of months at least. Oh well at least it's not a long break.

12. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

So Nicky is born to be a warrior after all. I thought maybe her mother might turn out to be a Shaolin priestess. How does it relate to Nicky's teacher possessing the sword before? Why did she have it? Is the teacher and her mother somehow related?

The kung fu school seemed more like something out of Cobra Kai.

13. goldweard Registered

Overall I like the series. I watched kung fu TOS kung fu TLC and even the kung fu the next generation (Don't ask) Each series is different in some major way. and each has its merits and flaws.
    Spoilers

I was disappointed that at the end of episode 7 it is revealed that Nicky was descended from the first female warrior and therefore the rightful wielder of the sword. While it explains a couple of things it would have been better if she had simply been nobody special who by her actions and character was chosen by the sword to be the next guardian.

14. goldweard Registered

they explain it that nicky's family was the rightful owners of the blade but that jiangs were the guardian family. who had taken guardianship centuries before. I am expecting nicky's aunt to show up in the next couple of episodes but there is no familial- relationship between nicky and her shifu

15. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If Nicky's mother turned out to be a Shaolin priestess herself she could train Nicky and be her new shifu. But then the actress playing shifu would become rather redundant.

16. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Not much fighting again this week. It's often feeling more like some Asian drama/ soap.

Their road trip to Canada probably wasn't very far at all since the whole series is filmed in Canada to begin with but pretending to be San Francisco. It was probably just the local woods

17. Sithborg Registered

Covid protocols are definitely going to keep the fights on the downlow when they can.

I am disappointed we didn't actually get to see Althea's talk with Dennis.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  18. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I suppose this week's episode was slightly better than last week's but still not great. It does often feel like a daytime soap with Asian characters. At least Nicky didn't do the typical thing of choosing the white guy over the Asian guy and then reinforcing that trope.

Why didn't they just set this in Canada instead of pretending it's San Francisco? Because it always feels like Canada anyway. It could easily have been somewhere like Toronto.

19. Sithborg Registered

20. Sithborg Registered

The 2 part premiere is off to a good start.

Edi Paterson as Althea's lazy silicon valley grifter was perfect. Also fun to see Nicky play superhero inbetween deliveries for the restaurant.

Zhilan's escape was great.