Kung Fu Panda 2 (anyone surprised?)

My review:

3.5/4

http://cinematicriddles.com/2011/05/27/review-kung-fu-panda-2/

It’s with a great deal of relief then that I’m able to report that fans of the first film (myself included) have nothing to worry about. Kung Fu Panda 2 is an exceptionally better film than the original thanks in most part to a better and darker script that delivers a more emotionally resonant story. While I’m not sure if the sequel elevates the franchise to the absolute top of the genre, it undoubtedly cements Po’s world as the place to go for slick animated action and breathtaking cinematography.

Great to know that the sequel focus on more character development. I'm going to watch the movie as soon as I have the time.

I just have one question, did you watch the movie in 2D or 3D? If it's the latter then do you recommend watching it in that format?

i'm listening to the soundtrack for kfp2 now if the movieis as good as the score its a winner

I'm hearing positive things about the 3-D. Has anyone here seen it yet in the format?

Yes the 3D looks pretty good. It's incorporated decently.

I was surprised at how good this movie was. Since there will most likely be a sequel to this hopefully Dreamworks doesn't mess it up like they did the 3rd Shrek

Did JCVD voice someone after all??,I read about him possibly doing voice work for this movie and I haven't kept up much with this one!

I liked the first movie But I just thought the 2nd would be decent-bad for some reason,Good to know it's getting tons of positive buzz!!

Luis, JCVD voices Master Croc. Unfortunately he only has about 5 lines and doesn't do anything of note.

Movie was very nice.

The action/fight sequences were way bigger and better than the first and the characters were very engaging.

Jack Black is still just as awesome as Po.

I saw it today. It was very good. I had a great time

I have a feeling this will be the best animated film of the summer. I like Cars and Pixar has yet to make a bad film, but Cars 2 feels a little unesseary and with the passing of Paul Neuman and George Carlin, I wish they'd pass.

Kung Fu panda suceeds where most animated sequels fail, it moves into bigger and better territory, and with an obvious sequel setup for a 3rd movie at the end, I think there will be great things to come!

Gary Oldman's in this, correct?

Yeah. He voiced the villain Shen the peacock.

He was very good. He gave Shen a sort of comical flair when dealing with his underlings and the old goat but he was also able to portray Shen as a very menacing figure as well.

How in the hell did this LOSE to Hangover 2???? :csad:

What happened to those little kids over the weekend??

They went to watch the Hangover. I had kids, teens, and even babies in my theater. Parents today :(

I loved this film. And it has a nice set-up for a third film. I'm not sure if I like it more than the first, but you cannot beat Oldman as Shen. It really tried to go a darker route, and it was a good effort. I felt teary-eyed everytime Little Po showed up. He was just so damn cute.

when i saw this they were previewing that new hospital show for adult swim and the trailer for bad teacher...neither of these were really appropriate for the amount of kids that were in my theater. i was cracking up but there were moms just staring at me. of course everybody was laughing at that jim carrey penguin film *rolls eyes*
anyways, this was a good film, it caught me off guard how it just jumped right into it and didnt do what a lot of sequels do where they either try to catch you up on whats been going on or whatever. the villains wasnt really a grand villain like tai lung but he worked really well, tho i felt it kind of hard to really get his character at first cuz he really doesnt have much emotion on his face other than his eyes, but l liked him more as a villain than blackbeard. the action was great but i think my theaters sound was off cuz a lot of the hits werent really making any sounds. the movie picked up its stride once they were on the boat tho, and the backstory on po was so good i was trying to not cry cuz it made me think of how could i do that to my child...which is a good thing cuz this movie was definetly worth a rewatch

why did this film perform so badly?

Great to know that the sequel focus on more character development. I'm going to watch the movie as soon as I have the time.

I just have one question, did you watch the movie in 2D or 3D? If it's the latter then do you recommend watching it in that format?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if you're still wondering, but I saw it in 3D. I felt the darkness of 3D took away from the vibrancy of the film's palette. Still, my theater was having audio issues as well so it could have been a general issue with the way the 3D had been set up. Still, there were some nice 3D moments.

why did this film perform so badly?

It wasn't an awful opening and I think it's safe to say DreamWorks was aware of the risk of opening next to The Hangover (Kung Fu Panda isn't just popular with kids). I think word of mouth is going to carry this Panda to an overall healthy box office take.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if you're still wondering, but I saw it in 3D. I felt the darkness of 3D took away from the vibrancy of the film's palette. Still, my theater was having audio issues as well so it could have been a general issue with the way the 3D had been set up. Still, there were some nice 3D moments.

There's nothing to apologize for. :yay:
I was thinking to watch the movie in 3D but it was full-booked today so I saw it in 2D instead.

Anyway, I thought the movie was superb. The animation was really gorgeous with the vivid colours and different animation style, like for instance when the movie turn to 2D for a bit. The movie had a right balance of both comedy and action. Oldman was very menacing as Lord Shen and I was glad that the Furious Five(or is it six now?) had a bigger role though I was disappointed that Hoffman's character wasn't that much in the movie.

Overall, I have to say this may be DreamWorks Animation best movie to date. This is how a sequel should be, it should exceed the first one. And with the set-up for a third movie, I'm definitely looking forward to it , especially if the end result is as good as this one.

4/5

This is together with the first movie one of the few movies I enjoyed from Dreamworks. The action scenes are good and while it's somewhat predictable Po's journey is interesting to watch and overall the movie is enjoyable. While it's possible I hope that Dreamworks don't milk this franchise like the Shrek movies.

Great movie, I'd say its their second best movie right behind How to Train a Dragon which I thought was the best animated movie of last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"