Lawsuite

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by tecnowraith, Apr 5, 2006.

1. tecnowraith

tecnowraith Registered

Source: Cinescape

Variety reports that the widow and daughter of Jerome Siegel, originator of the comicbook series SUPERBOY, is suing the WB over SMALLVILLE.

A federal judge in Los Angeles has found that WB's show may be infringing on the copyrights held on the Superboy character. The summary judgment also found that Joanne Siegel and Laura Siegel Larson had successfully recaptured the SUPERBOY rights as of mid November 2004.

The lawyer for Siegel and Larson told Variety, "Jerry Siegel's SUPERBOY focuses on Superboy's relationship with his parents and his adventures with school classmates in a small town which, by SUPERBOY #2, was named Smallville."

Warner Bros. said in response that it "respectfully disagrees" with the rulings and will pursue an appeal.

2. AgentPat

AgentPat Squeaky wheel

Oh, brother....

Let the fun begin. :rolleyes:

3. The Sage

The Sage The World's Finest

Maybe they should've stuck to the "no flights" clause after all, LOL.

4. NHawk19

NHawk19 insert witty comment

Look at it this way Pat

They name him Superman and this all goes away . . .:D hint hint WB.

Plus Superboy wore the tights Clark hasnt done that yet.

5. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Oy, people sue over anything anymore.:down :o

6. GothicPowerMix1

GothicPowerMix1 Registered

So basically what will end up happening is. Put on the Suit or get cancelled :o or the obvious one. Pay me money or get cancelled. But why wait 5 Years after the Show First started to sue ?

7. Ultimate_Superman

Ultimate_Superman Registered

But how will putting on the suit and calling him Superman sovle anything since the WB and DC already are paying out of the ass to them for Superman as well.

8. Ultimate_Superman

Plus DC has already lost the rights to Superman which is coming up very soon where either they will have to kill him for good or pay the family the money they want.

9. GothicPowerMix1

I don't want them to kill Superman :o Smallville is just getting good & after all these years we are getting a Movie. Itd suck if they just kill Superman :o

10. Ultimate_Superman

Well thats what could happen remember DC has lost the rights to Superman I can't remember what year they have to turn everything over but if they dont buy it back from them you might see Superman in Marvel or hanging out with Spawn or whatever or you just may never see a Superman for a while. Though I am now wondering if they are going to kill SV because of this.

11. GothicPowerMix1

They can't kill SV now. But now thanks to this I would not be surprised if Season 6 = the Final Season. But this Show must get One More Season :o Then again WB shows have an habit of ending very crappily :o

12. avidreader

avidreader Registered

Its the land of Freedom of Speech, but if you say something I dont like, I'll sue you. ;)

13. Ultimate_Superman

Really? Look at Lois and Clark it was a highly rated show but was killed to bring back the wonderful world of Disney

14. GothicPowerMix1

Even that ended crappily :o

15. Ultimate_Superman

True but it was not their fault the network went out of its way to try and kill the show and couldn't even do it show they just said we're not bringing it back.

16. GothicPowerMix1

I just hope this lawsuit does not effect Smallville & Superman that much. The WB has money they need to step up. This World is full of greedy bastards & the greedy bastards win :o I just hope WB is careful & knows what its doing

17. Kaboom

Kaboom knock knock

3 things....

1. tony, love the new avatar, but i cant see it to well, bigger version maybe?

2. isnt it pissin anybody else off that lawsuit is spelled "lawsuite" in the thread.

3. I'm not going to throw legal advice around on the web, BUT the WB is in kind of a damned if you damned if you dont situation, because it seems to me any actions they would have to take to quiet title to the superman properties would put them in the precarious situation of having superman come into the public domain. Paying them off might be the easiest and in the end, least costly thing they could do.

18. GothicPowerMix1

rofl

19. Kane

Kane Guest

Theyll have to jump some years ahead to put on the suit.

If Clark puts on the suit at 18, he will be Superboy.

I guess this is why they named Superboy's university from the 1980s TV series into Shuster College and why Superboy was retconed out of postcrisis origins (good move).

I wonder how DC still managed to make Kon-el and Superboy Prime work?...

Spoilers...

Though it may be no coincidence that both are dying for good in todays issue of Infinite Crisis.

20. tecnowraith

tecnowraith Registered

Give me a break, it was early in the morning (for me that is) when I posted this. And now I can not even edit it the title.

21. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

LOL:up: :D

That is the way the nation works now.

Just like the "I spilled hot coffee on me, and McDonalds didn't tell me ahead of time it was hot" lady. It's just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Also, DC wouldn't ever lose the property of Superman. He is their flagship, iconic character. If they were ever in danger of losing him, I'm sure they would go as far as going bankrupt if it meant keeping him.

22. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Crisis, you just reminded me why I dread going to the comic shop to pick up #6 today. I like Kon-el, and don't want him to croak.:(

23. avidreader

avidreader Registered

Where's Hulk when you need him.

I have a little legal experience, but I'm nowhere near the legal eagle that :hulk: is.

First thing I note is that Smallville started before 2004, which is when these ladies assumed the copyrights to Superboy.

Secondly, Clark has never been referred to as the Superboy character and he doesnt wear the costume.

Thirdly, its in the story of Superman that he grew up in Smallville when he was a teenager.

Anyway, this dispute has been going since 2004 and probably wont be settled before Smallville ends.

24. Kane

Kane Guest

:D I would! Hes served his purpose and they seem to be going back to an older classic version of TT anyways.

Just as Supergirl and Barry died in issues 6 and 7 of COIE, Kon will die in IC #6 and I predict Wally will fall in IC#7.

The new Flash in the new series, I think, will be Bart Allen.....he comes out of the speedforce having aged several years and is now an adult.

25. Kane

Kane Guest

It may actually end sooner than you think, especially with DC killing off its Superboy characters.