Legal Advice

Figs

Avenger
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Dropped by my parents house today after work just to say hi and they told me one of my sisters(lets call her R, she's 20)is planning on moving to Miami, Floriday late August...with her 2 year old son(my nephew :cmad:). She doesn't care what others have to say and is a ***** about it when you're giving her advice. She's the type of brat who just waves her hand at you and says "whatever" and ignores what you have to say if she doesn't like it. The dumb ***** met the guy on the internet via video games and has flown out there a couple of times to visit him in the last year or so...fail.

My other sister who lives with my parents also(lets call her P),has a boyfriend(call him J) who lives with them as well. He flew over about a year ago from...you guessed it, Miami Florida(my family and I are all in California). He's been telling my sister(R)not to go due to how bad things are over there with the ghetto ass cubans and whatnot. Before you PC people scream racism, my sisters boyfriend(J)is cuban himself and no, not all cubans are bad of course. Mainly referring to all the ones who are into the drug and gun running over there.

My sister(R)has little to no street smarts and has already started shipping her things in boxes over there. The guy she is "in love with":whatever: lives with his mom and my sister has already transferred from her job here in CA to their location in FL. Apparently my other sister's bf(J), says the area of Miami she's moving to is terrible and basically no one speaks English there and because my sister(R) doesn't speak Spanish he says she's going to get ****ed up.

What I want to ask someone, if you know the law well, is if the grandparents(both sets)can claim my nephew and keep him here in CA on account of my sister moving not being in the child's best interest. My nephew's father moved out to New Mexico(probably to escape the law, methhead...god my sister knows how to pick 'em), so we don't know if the law where he has to sign something to allow his son to be moved to FL applies or not.

Can both sets of grandparents do anything to keep him here, or does my sister, the mother, have final say even though she's being incredibly stupid and irresponsible?

Some states have grandparents rights laws that help them is having visitation with thier grandchildren....but giving them power to take the kid from thier daughter is a different matter. They can petition the court for custody....but she and her kid will be living in Miami before it even gets a hearing.

Damn the gods!

No joke, I expect them to go missing or found dead in the semi-near future.

I live in the Bay Area and used to work in Stockton and i've heard some stories of the gangs and ghetto asses up there. Some of the female "groups" are more brutal than the guys. Gang beating someone to death and curbstomps(seriously, **** anyone who does that move to someone, they deserve to die and be taken out of society).

My sister is the type of ***** that would look at a girl and say to whoever she's with "what's the ***** looking at?"...yeah, if she keeps up that attitude I don't think she's going to make it.

Didn't want to upset you....but my family has had dealings with the court over grandparents rights and things like that. The parents rights come first...and unless she is quite obviously strung out on drugs or in jail when they request intervention....there will be no quick action done.

You're not upsetting me at all and thanks for the advice C. Lee!

She's smart about not getting into drugs so i'm not worried about that but just her attitude and the gang violence over there isn't a good mix. Not a good place for my 2 year old nephew and my sister doesn't even really have a plan for who's going to watch him when she's at work.

I'm just pissed that my nephew is going to be gone and I won't be able to watch him grow up much and right now he's really talking well and picking stuff up. :csad:

There's always the classic fraternal solution. If she can't sit down in the plane seat then she can't go. :)

What you could do is suggest that she might want some time to get settled in and get used to her new living arrangements.

Offer to look after your nephew for a month (it is summer now, after all) while she gets a job and makes sure everything is set up perfectly for her son.

Remind her that it's easier to do these things if she isn't worried what mischief her son is getting into and that if she's familiar and comfortable in her surroundings it will ease the transition for her son.

Then, if your family can afford it, make arrangements to have them come visit once a month, so you can see how they're really doing.

By keeping everything polite and considerate, if it turns out to be a mistake she may feel more comfortable coming back home.

There's always the classic fraternal solution. If she can't sit down in the plane seat then she can't go. :)

:hehe:

What you could do is suggest that she might want some time to get settled in and get used to her new living arrangements.

Offer to look after your nephew for a month (it is summer now, after all) while she gets a job and makes sure everything is set up perfectly for her son.

Remind her that it's easier to do these things if she isn't worried what mischief her son is getting into and that if she's familiar and comfortable in her surroundings it will ease the transition for her son.

Then, if your family can afford it, make arrangements to have them come visit once a month, so you can see how they're really doing.

By keeping everything polite and considerate, if it turns out to be a mistake she may feel more comfortable coming back home.

Thanks for the advice redmarvel. Yeah, i'll try to see if she's ok with leaving my nephew behind for a little while so she can get used to her situation over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"