Legion LEGION S1E8 - "Chapter 8" (Spoilers)

Melanie views are definitely... Magneto-esque.
The way she delivered her lines were very chilling.

It was also very sad that Melanie lost Oliver as Syd regained David.

There was some funny comments about how Farouk should manifest himself as a new character played by someone from Taika Waititi's stall of actors, which I thought would be hilariously meta. Maybe instead of the World's Angriest Boy we'll have Aubrey plus another actor next season to play off Jemaine!

Did anyone point out how Oliver kind of resembles Amahl Farouk? At least the way he dressed.

whoah! that was amazing :up::up:

i kinda feel like ep7 was more dramatic though, felt more like a season finale. ep 8 felt more like a winding down of a plot and then a springboard for the sequel.

once again i'm left dizzy with the when and the where of this story. there were what i call the sunflower iMacs! right hand drive? just when i thought they were somewhere in the US or Canada. "somewhere warm", a nod to the news that the Legion production is moving to LA?

im not complaining though. this is trippy af and i love it :woot: i want season 2 now!

oh and now it looks like the Shadow King was responsible for the other villain getting his burns. i was under the impression that someone from Melanie's people had that power while they were rescuing David at the beginning.

On a potential Charles Xavier appearance

“I think that’s something we’re definitely going to approach,” he told reporters. “It’s a creative conversation, but it’s also a sort of corporate conversation, you know, on some level, in terms of the movie studio and their relationship to the X-Men and the characters they want in the movies and want to protect potentially. And were we to want to have Professor X on the show, or even Patrick Stewart on the show, James McAvoy or one of those actors, is a conversation both with the actor and with the studio. So, I don’t know, I haven’t really dived into that quandary yet, but certainly I need to start thinking about it.”
http://www.cbr.com/legion-season-2-xavier-comics/
idk how they're gonna make it possible, what with Legion looking like its set in its own universe, but i would L O V E to have Sir Patrick play Prof X :hrt: maybe they can take this opportunity to show a different version from what we saw in the movies. if Legion is some kind of alternate X-Men timeline with characters being the same but "different", then maybe finally we can have a Charles Xavier thats a bit darker, maybe something more in line with the Logan version of Xavier.

I didn't think that Melanie's team looked like the bad guys.
Clark half burned, waking up with his time family and just trying to survive. While Melanie's team aside from Syd (and David occasionally) seemed closer to Magneto's Brotherhood than Charles' X-Men.

It's the first time they've actually held the upper hand, probably in their entire recent history.
Yeah and as soon as they do they go all 'mutant superiority'.

Melanie views are definitely... Magneto-esque.
They even did the Xavier/Magneto camera angle thing between Clark and Melanie.

then maybe finally we can have a Charles Xavier thats a bit darker, maybe something more in line with the Logan version of Xavier.
Isn't that basically what they've been doing since X3?

Hawley wants us to hate gay people confirmed

Have no idea where you got that from.
Hawley was trying to humanise him. Show him to be a loving father and husband. Having him be gay and having an adopted black son shows he isn't prejudiced.
It makes it more beliveable that the mutants can find an ally in him.

Although his speach about going to war is enough to leave an element of doubt. Will he betray them or be honest?

It was a surprising finale, almost lowkey compared to the episode before. I overall enjoyed it, but one particular thing struck me as being strange:

Why did David think he could make an ally of the government? This is the same group that kidnapped and tortured his sister and tried to kill Syd and the others. Nothing about them or their methods suggest they're trustworthy. And I don't remember him and the burned man having much of a connection before so that came out of left field.

I'm excited at the thought of seeing the SK and Oliver together. They're such an unlikely pairing.

Maybe not an ally of the entire government, but maybe at least Clark now that they have a common foe with the Shadow King out there.

It was a surprising finale, almost lowkey compared to the episode before. I overall enjoyed it, but one particular thing struck me as being strange:

Why did David think he could make an ally of the government? This is the same group that kidnapped and tortured his sister and tried to kill Syd and the others. Nothing about them or their methods suggest they're trustworthy. And I don't remember him and the burned man having much of a connection before so that came out of left field.

I'm excited at the thought of seeing the SK and Oliver together. They're such an unlikely pairing.

Maybe he just thought that he could find another way than them killing each other.
The only time you can make peace is when there is conflict.

Clark half burned, waking up with his time family and just trying to survive. While Melanie's team aside from Syd (and David occasionally) seemed closer to Magneto's Brotherhood than Charles' X-Men.

So I guess holding David against his will - even being ready to kill them if a subjective viewpoint by a government leader deems it necessary - and kidnapping his sister and subjecting her to leech-therapy is now not evil?

I doubt Melanie and company are in hiding because they were treated nicely.

Mistakes on both sides, and I don't blame people at all for fighting back against a government bully.

tumblr_onp88oNB9B1w6og8so1_500.gif

tumblr_onp88oNB9B1w6og8so2_500.gif

tumblr_onp88oNB9B1w6og8so3_500.gif

tumblr_onp88oNB9B1w6og8so4_500.gif

tumblr_onp88oNB9B1w6og8so5_500.gif

tumblr_onp88oNB9B1w6og8so6_500.gif

So I guess holding David against his will - even being ready to kill them if a subjective viewpoint by a government leader deems it necessary - and kidnapping his sister and subjecting her to leech-therapy is now not evil?
Leech-therapy was unnecessary, but the rest of it really isn't all that unreasonable given how powerful David is.

I doubt Melanie and company are in hiding because they were treated nicely.

Mistakes on both sides, and I don't blame people at all for fighting back against a government bully.

Yeah, he's clearly an evil person (the take David, kill everyone else scene a moment after the intro cemented it). That being said, the show was deliberately trying to show him as sympathetic. It's showing the lasting consequences of violence, particularly on friends and family of the person harmed (who are innocents in this) and it shows that even villains don't see themselves as villains. But make no mistake, Division 3 is full of dangerous and psychotic people and showing that they are human in no way changes this.

Even though season finale ended up on high note with that post credit scene. It wasnt my favorite episode, and at one moment I did predict what would happen eventually in episode. But still enjoyable.

I was thinking it would be Syd not Oliver. Cause Shadow King did love to torture David with whole revenge plot. But I guess writers already in this moment thought it would become too predictable plot for new season, so they taken new direction with Oliver. And giving us a new twist with a post credit scene. To make us excited and suspense for new season.

Division 3 going from enemy to possible ally in season 2 is one of old tv tropes. But I'll give it a shot. Again writers and directing of Legion put this show on such a high note, so i hope we dont get something standard of that trope.

Overall It was more then decent season finale. Episode 7 was still my favorite of this show.

Maybe he just thought that he could find another way than them killing each other.
The only time you can make peace is when there is conflict.

But D3 and the government have been so terrible up to this point it feels like trying to make peace with the Nazis.

But D3 and the government have been so terrible up to this point it feels like trying to make peace with the Nazis.

Never said it would work.

The british empire were quite nasty but ghandi found common ground.

Wow. I was feeling slightly critical of the show after seeing episode 7 and watching the preview for episode 8 but after watching the episode I'm not a pessimist about it. It was well done and delivered.

Few comments after reading through this thread:

As much as I loved this season, this last episode felt more like a mid-season finale. Still great fun, and hopefully David starts picking up some actual personalities and becomes Legion at some point.

If this season finale was a mid-season cliffhanger, I doubt we'd get the kind of payoff we'll get once season 2 comes around. Overall, a lot more prep time and budget to put into pushing things forward whereas a mid-season finale we'd probably not get near as good of result. Years later if watching season 1 and 2 together (especially seeing as lot of ground covered in only 8 episodes), I doubt we'll care if it feels like a mid-season finale or not as long as the payoff right after is substantially more than we otherwise would've gotten is my opinion.

Yeah no. I'm gay, that's not what I got from that. I like how they showed more of his character. I also like that this episode showed shades of grey. Melanie's crew kinda looked like the bad guys, while the Interigator and D3 were almost just fighting for their survival. And it is kinda amusing that Shadow King isn't just the big bad of the season, but actually makes it out. Also seems like the episode in general just didn't want to be the traditional final episode. And we get to keep Aubrey Plaza for S2 so that's a win.

I agree with this assessment and is what won me over on the last episode. David seems like a good guy and is someone still to root for (he didn't simply kill the soldier's like he could've done and allowed them to presumably depart after Melanie's people presumably let them know the situation). Melanie's more hard position on things is certainly understandable and she's not necessarily evil either. Her group knows there's a war.

Mike Murdock's assessment is very smart (although keep in mind this government guy character presumably knew the soldier's and perhaps even their families and didn't understand that it was Farouk who teleported them into solid objects and such and felt the pain caused after David's escape and the national security risks it posed for sure) but still subjective and that's what I like about this show is that it allows one to think a bit as opposed to other superhero shows where things are more spelled out and enunciated over the head.

Last edited:
I loved the show. It's not just "the best superhero show", I think it's a brilliant show in general. So creative.

I'm just disappointed that David doesn't have multiple personalities. I think there was so, so much potential with that.

That british version of himself gave me a little hope, but... we'll see...

I think Hawley may be trying to tiptoe around some of the more problematic aspects of associating a mental illness with a superpower, but I feel like he'll gain more personalities perhaps as the character goes on - what's really his mutant ability without Farouk in there, etc.

It's not as unlikely as you might think. It was stated earlier that Oliver was very much like David; a powerful telepath who Icarus'd himself into the astral plane. So on a thematic level it makes perfect sense for Farouk to end up in his head. Oliver has a lot more knowledge and control of the astral plane so I wonder how he and the Shadow King's dynamic will play out. It will certainly be different to how it was with David, as evidenced by Lenny's different look. Maybe more of a symbiosis?

Isn't that basically what they've been doing since X3?
they are making the effort to make it more in the level of current superhero movies (as opposed to when they kickstarted things during the first X-Men movies). but those Prof X is largely attributed to McAvoy. its quite refreshing to see Sir Patrick play Prof X with the kind of grit in Logan. granted their story is pretty heavy, but i think that fits real well with the tone of Legion. im not saying they should have Sir Patrick throw F bombs as Prof X every time now, but i do love to see how he would play Prof X in a universe thats clearly more twisted than any of the X-Men films to date.

i love this scene. a small part of me wished it was Aubrey that was in the other side of that divide, but Amber looked pretty BA :up:

I loved the show. It's not just "the best superhero show", I think it's a brilliant show in general. So creative.

I'm just disappointed that David doesn't have multiple personalities. I think there was so, so much potential with that.

That british version of himself gave me a little hope, but... we'll see...
lets give them some more time. the way this show is presented is so different from other superhero shows, thats not even counting that Legion himself is kinda radically out there compared to other superheroes. i love this show to bits, but i do know some people couldnt keep up with all the "different". they need to strike a balance, mix the weird with something a bit more familiar. eventually i think we will get to the point where David has gotten a good grasp of his powers that he can start giving his powers sentience and tangibility into the real world. maybe by season 3 or 4? if Dan doesnt get bored and just quits that is :funny:

If anything, I think some people were kinda critical of how it became more of a typical superhero show at points - like in the finale, where the weirdness had to get toned down in order for the genre conventions to get properly played out. Granted, stuff like the Bolero sequence last week is handily cinematic quality, and you're never gonna please everyone, but I do hope it aims to get a bit weirder than fall in line with other superhero shows, only with better production design, musical cues and Aubrey Plaza.

Never said it would work.

The british empire were quite nasty but ghandi found common ground.

The Empire didn't kidnap, torture, and attempt to murder Gandhi's friends and relatives, nor were they hunting Gandhi with the intention of experimenting on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"