The Wolverine Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

danoyse

Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
Reaction score
wolverinefans_zps3bba32e9.png

Since the movie's a week away, and a few lucky folks here have already gotten to see it, here is where to post your own reviews of The Wolverine.

Just a few simple rules:

-SPOILER TAGS!!! Use them. If it's something that wasn't in the trailers, TV spots, or behind-the-scenes features, put in spoiler tags. If you're not sure, put it in spoiler tags anyway.

-NO BOOTLEG FOOTAGE!!! No posting clips or images here that are from pirated copies of the film. If it's not an official clip, you can't post it here. And don't go asking for links to pirated material either.

-PLAY NICE!!! Opinions, we all have them. Be respectful of the ones that are different from your own.

These are simple rules. Please avoid the inevitable warnings, infractions, probations, and potential bannings that may and will occur if you do not follow them.

Enjoy the movie! :wolverine

Last edited:
Saw a midnight showing. It was alright. Slowed down a lot in the middle, and lost its mind toward the end. Not quite the knock-out I was hoping for, but leagues above those weaker films we'd like to forget.

Shocked that Logan is back to bone claws tbh.

As a lifelong Wolverine fan, the 1st and 2nd act were perfect. It was the Wolverine movie of my dreams. I was ready to proclaim it as the greatest superhero movie ever. And then the 3rd act came, and I had to shave off 1 point from my overall score. 8.5/10

Pros:

Wolverine character- best portrayal so far. Ive always believed someone else could do the job better than Hugh. Now, he has owned the role. Best superhero performance ever tied with Reeve Superman and Dwney Iron Man. He's mean, scary, dangerous, mysterious, angry but has that heroic side as well.

Mariko and Yukio- they were different from their comic counterparts but worked well in the movie. Id like to see these 2 again in future movies

Mood/tone/atmosphere- the cinematography, art direction, music, pacing and editing, Mangold's direction, it didnt feel like a superhero movie. It felt like a western/samurai movie hybrid.

Cons:

3rd act- it felt like another movie. Memories of Xmen Origins came to mind.
Viper- was ok in the 1st 2 acts, ridiculous in the 3rd act.

XMEN MOVIE RaNkINg:
TW- 8.5/10
XFC- 8/10
X2- 7.5/10
X- 7/10
XOW- 5.5/10
X3- 5/10

Top 10 Superhero movies:
TDK- 9/10
Avengers- 9/10
Wolverine- 8.5/10
First Class- 8/10
IM3- 8/10
IM- 8/10
TDKR- 8/10
BB- 7.5/10
TASM- 7.5/10
MOS- 7.5/10

Viper suuucked. Literally every other character was interesting but she was like a leftover from Origins.

Mariko is hands down Logan's best love interest. I fell in love with her too.

GOOD THINGS
-Good cinematography.
-The bullet train action sequence was good.
-The atomic bomb scene at the beginning was intense.
-I liked 4 out of 5 scenes from Jean Grey.
-I liked how intimate the scenes between Mariko and Wolverine. You know there was character development, there were explaining things and it reminded me of X1's scene with Rogue/Logan inside Logan's trailer. I like scenes like that.
-I liked Viper. I understood her contribution to the movie. Like I easily got that she was working for the older Yashida. Though I wish Yashida mentioned Viper's name when Yashida revealed his intentions to Logan's power. And she got the right amount of scenes. The only unneccessary thing that she did in the movie was she was taking a picture/video when Wolverine was fighting at the funeral. I get why people don't like her, she just don't fit in the movie that quite well but I liked her! HAHA!
-I liked Yukio especially at the start and when she was helping Wolverine against Shingen. I thought she was a good sidekick.
-I don't really have problem with Wolverine, Shingen, the older Yashida.
-I liked the scale of the movie. I read a negative response about the small scale of the movie and use of Japan. I totally disagree with that. I liked that they didn't make this look like a big action film. There was something unique about the tone/feel of the movie. Its like an indie film with Wolverine.
-The way Shingen/Viper/Silver Samurai were defeated are way better than the character deaths in X3/Origins and thats a plus for me.
-The mid-credits scene was nice! Totally a spotlight stealer!

NITPICKS
-For me, Harada was the weakest character. He just wasn't developed well. Like I think if he was made as a mutant or lets say he was Sunfire, he could have been more interesting, there would be more use to him. His role in the movie was to protect Mariko but I didn't get enough and I didn't dig those scenes near the end where he was talking to Mariko then turning on to Yashida/Viper. And I have to say that "ninja versus Wolverine scene" could have been so much better.
-Mariko and Wolverine kissing. I usually hate random kissing scenes and I felt like the two kissing scenes of Mariko and Wolverine weren't necessary. Like they could have hint that there might be something to those two but a kiss right away especially at Mariko's hideaway house? Maybe an unexpected goodbye kiss at the airport would have been better, like Wolverine is about to go to the plane and Mariko calls him and give him a goodbye kiss. Cliche but that would have been better.
-I wish there was a shot of Mariko's fiance falling off the building, like face shot and landing to the pool.
-I wish there was an explanation on how Shingen traced Mariko's whereabouts.
-Yukio's prediction of Logan's death. I wish she wasn't crying when she told it to Logan. Like she only knew him for like a few days. Then her story about her parents, I thought it wasn't needed.
-The problem with the last part with the movie, the scene after Wolverine VS Shingen is I felt like it went too quickly. The pacing was the issue and it should have been executed well. I also didn't like how Mariko killed his grandfather, I don't know I just don't think it was a good moment. And the cutting of the claws! I felt like Wolverine should have a big reaction to it but of course there was no room because a lot of things were happening. Then the last Jean Grey moment was the weakest scene of Jean in the entire movie. There was something that I didn't like about the scene. And finally Yukio going with Wolverine at the end, like what happened to them, the next scene jumped 2 years later and Yukio wasn't there. Yukio should have stayed with Mariko.
-Small nitpick about the mid-credits scene, the camera work on Professor X's entrance at the airport wasn't good.

OVER-ALL
I wish I could say more positive things but I usually remember the things that I don't like or improvements that this movie needed. But from the start up to the fight with Shingen, it was very solid! The last part of the movie was shakey and things were happening way too fast and to be honest, it really dragged down the movie and sometimes its hard to appreciate the good 3/4 of the movie, if the last few scenes weren't that good and weren't execute well. But over-all, its still a good movie and I cannot wait to watch it again!

GRADE
B / 7.5/10

Mariko is hands down Logan's best love interest. I fell in love with her too.

How is her acting? is she good for a first timer?

That's good to hear. That's the one part of the casting that i was actually worried, given the importance of the Mariko character in the Wolverine saga.

And it sounds like that i don't have to worry about Yukio.Seems like almost everyone praising her performance.

Oh well...two more days for me...

Hopefully i can stay away from more clips...

That's good to hear. That's the one part of the casting that i was actually worried, given the importance of the Mariko character in the Wolverine saga.

And it sounds like that i don't have to worry about Yukio.Seems like almost everyone praising her performance.

Oh well...two more days for me...

Hopefully i can stay away from more clips...

I'm almost glad now that she was barely in the trailers, since I got to be surprised by just about all of her scenes with Logan. She's beautiful, too.

Yukio was a scene-stealer. I'd love to see her come back in another X-Men/Wolverine film.

Heh...i get the feeling that next year comic con, there'll be lots of Yukio cosplay:oldrazz:

Good year if you're a fan of strong female characters. So far we've got Faora,now Yukio and Katniss just lurking around the corner!:oldrazz:

Honorable mention goes to Peggy Carter and maybe Siff later this year.

I gave it a 9/10, it completely blew me away.

The best things:
- It's so much darker than we've seen before. Thats due to Wolverine's darker attitude, but also due to what they simply choose to show and not show. For example:
Showing Wolverine all burned up by the atomic bomb, or him performing surgery on himself.. They don't shy away from showing something that's sick, twisted or gory, and that's awesome.
- I think it's the most personal X-movie so far, very character driven
- The women. Mariko is so beautiful. I'm a straight girl and I seriously fell in love with her. And Yukio is kickass. It's almost impossible to believe these girls never acted before.

The fact I don't give it 10/10 is that I didn't love Viper and Harada. But really.. that's pretty much it.

Heh...i get the feeling that next year comic con, there'll be lots of Yukio cosplay:oldrazz:

Good year if you're a fan of strong female characters. So far we've got Faora,now Yukio and Katniss just lurking around the corner!:oldrazz:

Honorable mention goes to Peggy Carter and maybe Siff later this year.

And as a woman, I absolutely welcome it!! It's about damn time. :up:

My grade for the Wolverine - 6.5.

I like Jean in this movie very much.

Harada was the waste of screen-time.

Viper - I'm bad because I'm bad. She absolutely doesn't fit in the movie.

Yukio and Mariko are very good. :hrt:

The plot is average, sometimes dull.

Better than Origins but I have the same feelings for the Last Stand.

P.S. How do you think it's possible that Mariko got pregnant after knock-knock with Logan? :woot::woot::woot:

So before you read this go ahead and forget that the last Wolverine movie even existed... Done? Good. I have been a big fan of Wolverine for a long time and this is the Wolverine movie I wanted the first time around! Very loosely based on Chris Claremont's classic comic book run; this time Wolverine heads to Japan to say goodbye to an old acquaintance and instead ends up protecting a damsel in distress, dealing with his inner demons and fighting ninjas, lots and lots of ninjas. Director James Mangold takes the helm and creates a comic book movie that with the exception of the last 20 minutes feels nothing like. Wolverine seems remarkably layered, tormented and complex thanks to Hugh Jackman's take on the character which continues to impress due mostly to his physical transformation and acting. Don't get me wrong there's lots of claw popping rage and "Snikt" fuelled Berserkerness to satisfy us fan boys but it's staged in a good story and executed with good acting. In a lack lustre blockbuster summer, The Wolverine might just be a Comic Book sleeper hit. FYI Stick around for the credits for an added scene that will make you squeal like a school girl!!!

Grade: 5/5

Summer Sleeper

Just got back from the screening so these are my immediate thoughts.

Wolverine - Like others have said, this is his most solid performance yet, still a lot of humour and fun to be had but it's underlined with a serious backbone.

Yukio and Mariko - Both contrast each other nicely and there are some wonderful emotional scenes between them.

Viper - Pointless. Her role is satisfactory but they should have just made her a human villain instead (also, how many times did he change costume in the last act, they seem to put her in more leather each time).

Silver Samurai - Predictable and didn't seem to gel well in the film at all. His battle with Shingen should would have made a stronger climax.

In regards to people saying that 'this doesn't feel very comic booky' doesn't necessary make it a more interesting film but does offer a nice change of pace to what we're used to in the summer.

As a lifelong Wolverine fan, the 1st and 2nd act were perfect. It was the Wolverine movie of my dreams. I was ready to proclaim it as the greatest superhero movie ever. And then the 3rd act came, and I had to shave off 1 point from my overall score. 8.5/10

Pros:

Wolverine character- best portrayal so far. Ive always believed someone else could do the job better than Hugh. Now, he has owned the role. Best superhero performance ever tied with Reeve Superman and Dwney Iron Man. He's mean, scary, dangerous, mysterious, angry but has that heroic side as well.

Mariko and Yukio- they were different from their comic counterparts but worked well in the movie. Id like to see these 2 again in future movies

Mood/tone/atmosphere- the cinematography, art direction, music, pacing and editing, Mangold's direction, it didnt feel like a superhero movie. It felt like a western/samurai movie hybrid.

Cons:

3rd act- it felt like another movie. Memories of Xmen Origins came to mind.
Viper- was ok in the 1st 2 acts, ridiculous in the 3rd act.

XMEN MOVIE RaNkINg:
TW- 8.5/10
XFC- 8/10
X2- 7.5/10
X- 7/10
XOW- 5.5/10
X3- 5/10

Top 10 Superhero movies:
TDK- 9/10
Avengers- 9/10
Wolverine- 8.5/10
First Class- 8/10
IM3- 8/10
IM- 8/10
TDKR- 8/10
BB- 7.5/10
TASM- 7.5/10
MOS- 7.5/10
You really thought Wolverine was better than First Class? Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

I seen the film today, it was decent, better the origins and served the character alot better and helped him feel more relatable.

but It really did feel like I had seen it all before, pretty same old really

I think you can keep putting wolverine in new locations and storys but he seems to be pretty cliche now, for example I can't recall how many times wolverine did the badass head turn towards the camera while a large scratch on his face healed

and The jean stuff felt incredibly out of place, And the end credit scene must have been rushed as watching xavier drive around people in his wheelchair seemed abit of a cheesy introduction to someone audiences were suppost to think was dead, what were they thinking?

Last edited:
WOW what the **** did I just see!!

I need to watch this again before I can score it, totally not the film I expected at all, but in a good way.

However for now I shall leave my initial thoughts before watching it again and forming a more concise and clear headed opinion:

1. This is not a kids comic book film, adults only need apply.
2. It has some of the best Marvel action set pieces out of all of their films.
3. It has the single most badass fight in comic book movie history.

oh and

4. I can not friggin wait for the uncut version, its crying out for it.

Eager to see if an extended cut materializes. I did notice that Logan vs. Ninja's seemed to be cut down a lot. There was footage in the trailer that didn't make the final cut.

How is her acting? is she good for a first timer?

Didn't realise she was a first timer and certainly didn't notice. She is fantastic.

and The jean stuff felt incredibly out of place, And the end credit scene must have been rushed as watching xavier drive around people in his wheelchair seemed abit of a cheesy introduction to someone audiences were support to think was dead, what were they thinking

Glad you mentioned that. Unintentionally hilarious.

Viper - Pointless. Her role is satisfactory but they should have just made her a human villain instead (also, how many times did he change costume in the last act, they seem to put her in more leather each time).

True that. Or at least hold off on her powers for a little while for a dramatic reveal. Every scene she was gobbing on someone's face, like they knew she was a dull character and thought some power display would distract the audience. Odd that she had very little motivation of her own as well.

Last edited:
saw it last night, i thought it was amazing
as many have said, unlike any marvel movie that has come before it

the cast was great and i honestly think it was hugh's best performance as logan to date
the action scenes were all great aswell, i loved the bullet train sequence

9/10

Eager to see if an extended cut materializes. I did notice that Logan vs. Ninja's seemed to be cut down a lot. There was footage in the trailer that didn't make the final cut.

Yes, we're hearing that there were cuts to the ninja fight to keep the PG-13 rating. So everyone start hoping for an uncut version on blu-ray/DVD now!

You really thought Wolverine was better than First Class? Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

I think if you are a really big wolverine fan and don't mind seeing more of what you come to know him for in these X-men movies then you will like this film

But if your not a big wolverine fan but see it just x-men value you may feel its abit tedious and same old cliche really

I still prefer FC personally

Last edited:
saw it last night, i thought it was amazing
as many have said, unlike any marvel movie that has come before it

the cast was great and i honestly think it was hugh's best performance as logan to date
the action scenes were all great aswell, i loved the bullet train sequence

9/10

Im very tempted to agree but I need to see it a second time to make sure I am not getting carried away.

Plus this whole "3rd Act" thing that I keep reading about, it really wasnt anything worse that I saw in Iron man 1 or 2 or the Avengers. Nothing groundbreaking but nothing terrible either.

Yes, we're hearing that there were cuts to the ninja fight to keep the PG-13 rating. So everyone start hoping for an uncut version on blu-ray/DVD now!

Damn does it need an uncut version, that would push it higher. I know Wolverine doesnt need blood and guts everywhere but this film needed slightly longer fight sequences as they are so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"