The Wolverine Lethal Samurai Steel - The Will Yun Lee / Silver Samurai Thread

So I can't speak to authenticity of the comics (I like to think of myself as well read in the X-men, and I vaguely recall SS and Viper, but that's about it), but I liked Harada in the movie and I loved Will Yun Lee. I'll be gathering pics for my desktop this weekend of this flawless hottie.

And this is based jut what I saw in the movie itself, but I actually sort of wanted Harada and [BLACKOUT]Mariko to end up together since it seemed clear from his first appearance that there was something there between them. With DoFP coming out next year, I didn't expect Logan to be staying with Mariko, so I could have enjoyed the movie going that route. They clearly had an established history and a better foundation for a long term relationship than she and Logan, despite good chemistry between Tao and Hugh. After Logan and Mariko slept together, I sadly knew he was toast.[/BLACKOUT]

Will Yun Lee did good in his role, but he got fu**ed over big time. Not only did he
NOT portray Silver Samurai, but he got killed off too!

You can't help, but feel disappointed. :doh:

Last edited:
Hope an extended cut gives Harada more time to shine in action in the ninja fight scene.

This thread needs to be renamed. lol

Well, Yukio pointed out the Silver Samurai armor at the funeral and said that it will protect Master Yashida. Harada plays as a bodyguard/servant to Yashida even though he turned on him at the end. So Harada was the Silver Samurai in essence, sort of, maybe.

Well, Yukio pointed out the Silver Samurai armor at the funeral and said that it will protect Master Yashida. Harada plays as a bodyguard/servant to Yashida even though he turned on him at the end. So Harada was the Silver Samurai in essence, sort of, maybe.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. It's just a shame he never even donned that armour though and his character was fairly underused. I liked what there was of him, but we should have had more imo. It's just a shame that [BLACKOUT]he was killed by Silver Samurai[/BLACKOUT]. Which kind of makes it worse that happened that way and it's unlikely we'll see him again.

Very underused, I wish he got more screen time instead of someone like Viper. I also thought his 180 in the third act was far too quick. Would've preferred it if he stuck with his master.

Personally I thought that was in keeping with his character. The trailers were very deceptive about his role as Mariko's protector I thought (in the trailers it looks more like he's trying to snipe her and Wolverine with his bow). In the movie their past relationship was referenced and he was shown to have some honour.

Personally I would put up with any macguffin in a future x-movie if he returned. Preferably in Silver Samurai armour or similar to that which Harada wore during his fight with Wolverine.

But what is honor to Harada? Is it serving his master until the end or doing what he believes is right. Because when he turned it made it seem like it was all for Mariko. He saw that she had chosen Logan so he decided he will turn on his master for the sake of her happiness/well being.

Cause I don't buy that Harada all of sudden realized what he was doing was wrong. He knew the plan all along and he should've decided what was asked of him would be wrong or right long before that.

You mean what Shingen wore right? I don't remember Harada in any samurai armor.

Last edited:
Yeah, I meant Shingen. lol

As for Harada's sense of honour. It wasn't just for Mariko. He does show that he has misgivings about what he is doing. Largely it involves Viper's presence, but he does have a couple of moments where it is shown he's not keen on the whole thing. He didn't simply change his mind at the end, it was more that his feelings for Mariko overrode his loyalty to Yashida and the Black Clan. It was the final push he needed in a sense.

But like we've both said. An underused character. Perhaps they could have spent time developing him more and giving him a better sense of a character arc.

It was weird that they split both the Harada and Shingen characters into the Old man yashida. I think Harada could have been used a bit more. It looks as if most of the ninja fighting was cut. All I remember was Wolverine taking to Harada and next thing you know he has about 30 arrows stuck in him.

Personally I think there was potential for a much stronger movie in The Wolverine had they not split Harada and Shingen into Yashida and simply let [BLACKOUT]the old man die[/BLACKOUT] in the first place. Had they made Shingen the villain for most of the movie (have him fight Wolverine part way through with no Silver Samurai armour) and then have Wolverine fight a climactic battle with Harada in a more modest Silver Samurai suit.

I'd also have kept Harada being Shingen illegitimate mutant son. I think that would have been more interesting.

Though saying that I do still think The Wolverine is in my top two of x-men movies. I very much enjoyed the movie. Though I do hope we get the proposed director's cut for blu-ray/dvd.

I would've accepted a Silver Samurai suit that had adamantium modifications to even out the playing field against Wolverine.

So the way I understand (without seeing the movie) is that there is really no Silver Samurai in The Wolverine, right? I guess since Viper isn't really Viper from the comics, they didn't give us the real Silver Samurai, either.

So the way I understand (without seeing the movie) is that there is really no Silver Samurai in The Wolverine, right? I guess since Viper isn't really Viper from the comics, they didn't give us the real Silver Samurai, either.

Without spoiling it. I would say in the same way Viper isn't Viper from the comics.

The Silver Samurai in the movie is Ichiro Yashida.

Its not similar to the comics, but its the movie's interpretation/version for Silver Samurai.

From what I hear, Harada's core was kept intact, so I'm glad.

Personally I think there was potential for a much stronger movie in The Wolverine had they not split Harada and Shingen into Yashida and simply let [BLACKOUT]the old man die[/BLACKOUT] in the first place. Had they made Shingen the villain for most of the movie (have him fight Wolverine part way through with no Silver Samurai armour) and then have Wolverine fight a climactic battle with Harada in a more modest Silver Samurai suit.

I'd also have kept Harada being Shingen illegitimate mutant son. I think that would have been more interesting.

Though saying that I do still think The Wolverine is in my top two of x-men movies. I very much enjoyed the movie. Though I do hope we get the proposed director's cut for blu-ray/dvd.

You make good points. I also would have preferred [BLACKOUT] the old man to die, but in my version he is killed by viper who is working for Harada. Then the story deals with who will inherit the old mans fortune. [/BLACKOUT] Then you continue the Shingen jealousy of his own daughter and his hatred for Logan and mutants. Plus I would have had Harada be a mutant too, like you said and his own father Shingen would have been ashamed of him. Logan would have [BLACKOUT] killed Shingen in that fight after he finds out Shingen wanted to have his own daughter and logan killed [/BLACKOUT]. Then viper and Harada would have worked together to try and kill Mariko because he is the illegitimate son, but can still inherit the old mans wealth because of his blood ties with the yashidas. Harada takes the old mans Silver Samurai outfit and bam you have a last battle with Logan and yukio against Harada in silver samurai armor with ninjas and viper.

Interesting. That would certainly play up the politics side of the story. Though for me I think it would be more interesting if alongside a stronger focus on Shingen's bigotry towards Logan you also had Harada loyal to his father despite being illegitimate and a mutant. I think Harada having a conflicted sense of honour and his futile struggle for acceptance from a father who would never see him as anything more than a tool he can use would prove to be a great story arc.

Concept Art by Josh Nizzi

tumblr_mqscp3D5s61r25d69o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqscp3D5s61r25d69o2_1280.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/724229c9c182c3e042476de8bb0d4ace/tumblr_mqscp3D5s61r25d69o3_1280.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/177be1861a7ed1fee8d078754ac9f18e/tumblr_mqscp3D5s61r25d69o4_1280.jpg

They look nice!

Say what you want about Robo Samurai I do love that design.

Indeed. Should've been smaller, but he looks cool.

I didn't liked this part/choice. Of course, works with the rest of the plot but well... it could've been better.

My idea is
that they have to put Harada in Silver Samurai's armour. Yashida isn't dead but have desperately need of Wolvie's powers. And Harada, as his 'protector', became the Silver Samurai to stole the Wolvie's powers for Yashida.

It was simple.

I didn't liked this part/choice. Of course, works with the rest of the plot but well... it could've been better.

My idea is
that they have to put Harada in Silver Samurai's armour. Yashida isn't dead but have desperately need of Wolvie's powers. And Harada, as his 'protector', became the Silver Samurai to stole the Wolvie's powers for Yashida.

It was simple.

I'm fine with what we got. I can't see how, under your suggestion, Harada would then transfer the healing powers to Yashida.

What we got was fine with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"