Let's Talk The 2011 Hype Comic Awards

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
So I came up with this idea last year but it was too late to put it into action. I just remembered it today and thought that now was a great time to get it started. I chose to do this in the Misc. comics forum because I think it's most appropriate since it will cover Marvel, DC, and Independants... plus this forum could really use some traffic.

Basically, we're all comicbook nerds here so why not vote the best of the year? I figure we can figure out categories real quick and then get some nominations. We have a few weeks so that's plenty of time and then come January 1st, when all the year's comics are out, I'll send out the ballot.

I'm not worried about nominations just yet but what are some categories that you guys would like to see? I figure some options are:

Comic of the Year
Best Marvel title of 2011
Best DC title of 2011
Best Independant title of 2011
Best Writer
Best Artist
Best Inker
Best Colorist
Best Marvel Character of the year
Best DC Character of the year
Best Independant Character of the year
Character of the Year
Best plot of the year (could contain several arcs to an ongoing plot)
Best individual issue of the year
Best Arc of the year (one arc)
Best on panel moment of the year
Biggest Surprise of the year
Best new title
Best new character
Title with the biggest turnaround in quality
Best Company of the year
Best death scene
Best mini series
Best canceled title

And in addition to those:

Worst title of the year
Worst character of the year
Worst on panel moment of the year

(I don't really want to focus on the negatives but a few can be fun).

Also, maybe movie stuff?

Best Comic Book film of the year
Best big screen adaption
Best on screen character

etc.

So, what are your thoughts? Any of these you want to take away or add? I figure in the end I'll make the decision on what categories to use but I will certainly listen to what everyone has to say about it.

New Suggestions:

Ballsiest Move of the Year
Best Supporting Character
Best Graphic Novel

Last edited:
How about "Ballsiest Move of the Year"? With stuff like the DC reboot, killing off Ultimate Spider-Man, and giving Rob Liefeld a job again, this year's got some cojones.

Me thinks I should have ignore proper placing of the thread and just stuck it in the Marvel forums :(

That said, if I don't get much more traffic or discussion on categories I'll just go ahead and open it up to nominations and start asking for noms in PMs.

Maybe best web comic, best collection, and best graphic novel?

I think 'Best supporting character' should be in there and maybe 'Best new character' as well.

Best new character's up there but I do like Supporting Character. Graphic Novel could also be good. I'd imagine collection would likely be lumped in with that.

Web Comic I don't know. I don't read or even know of any myself but if others want it we could probably add it. I just don't want, "And the winner, with 3 votes..."

Anything I listed above you guys think shouldn't be listed?

After thinking on it I think I might just eliminate any Movie themed awards because this is comic book awards and I think should be limited to just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"