Best of 2011

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
It's the last week of 2011, so here's your chance to give your picks for the "best of" this past year. All companies apply Marvel, DC, Image, ect. I'll give the basic categories, feel free to add your own.....

Best Publisher
Best Ongoing
Best Mini Series
Best Event
Best Writer
Best Artist
Best Male Hero
Best Female Hero
Best Supporting Male Character
Best Supporting Female Character
Best Villain
Best Fight
Best Moment

Hmmm...

Publisher: DC (I may hate their new direction but they are trying something at least to keep things fresh)

Ongoing: JiM (Weekly it's just the mosquitoes ****. Funny, meaningful as a ongoing, great cast with new characters and actually doing something in the Marvel magical universe)

Mini: Osborne (just a good all around read, new characters, an interesting political statement and had plenty of twists and turns)

Event: Spider-Island (this gets the nod for two reasons. One it actually had ramifications without resetting everything and starting over and two while it did have tie-ins it was largely self-contained and all part of a regular ongoing)

Writer: Rick Remender. The man has taken some concepts and just ran with them in interesting ways with new takes. (close second Gillen)

I'm gonna pass on artist, I like a lot but I can't say one person stood out in 2011.

Male Hero: Flash Thompson. Best venom version ever. An actual current soldier being a hero and an actual disabled person as a hero that doesn't have superpowers from being disabled (I think since hornet died and batgirl can walk he's about the only one out there left and no of course daredevil doesn't count. He's a reformed jock bully with a great cast and new mindset. Marvel really knocked it out of the park on reinventing him and breaking stereotypes. Close runner up: Sinestro in GL for many of the same reasons except the handicapped thing.

Best Female Hero: Normally this would be an easy DC win, but no longer, they have more but they just suck now. So typeface.

Male Supporting: Hands down Volstagg, end of this category, end of discussion but I'll give Hal Jordan and honorable mention for being the running punchline for sinestro in GL.

Female Supporting: I'm gonna go with Betty Brant. Good voice of reason and used in several books now. Close runner up: Leah from JiM.

Best Villain: Three way tie with Norman Osborn, Jack O'Lantern and Val Richards. The first has just done a great job of combining sanity with insanity, Jack is just delightfully evil with a great look and Val is just Val.

Best Fight is hard, as there just doesn't seem to be that many great fights this year. Either Hal Jordan fighting with real life or the Avengers Academy vs. the Sinister Six.

Best Moment: Mephisto trying to get into the cosmic water cooler of the higher gods. "But you're just a devil, they aren't unique" "I am unique, I have the most luxuriant sideburns in all creation!"

And I'm gonna toss one more category into this...

Best Team: Avengers Academy

I really couldn't go with much DC on this as it's just too early to say with somethings. If their super new current crisis started earlier that would be one thing but I don't even know what their current history is (and neither do their writers yet) so I just think best after 4 issues is not really fair.

Last edited:
Best Publisher-DC Comics
Best Ongoing-Uncanny X-force
Best Writer-Rick Remender
Best Artist-Paolo Rivera
Best Male Hero-Daredevil
Best Female Hero-Psylocke
Best Supporting Female Character-Melita Garner(Wolverine)
Best Supporting Male Character- Casey Jones(Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Best Villain-Archangel
Best Moment-
Wolverine finds out he's killed his own children.
Best Fight- Spider-man and Paladin vs. Raptors(Heroes for Hire)
Best Ongoing that was canceled-Heroes for Hire
Best Team-X-force
Best new Ongoing-Daredevil
Best Comic Book Film Adaptation-tie-X-men: First Class and Captain America:The First Avenger
Best Comic Book Video Game Adaptation- Batman:Arkham City

Best Publisher - Marvel
Best Ongoing - Avengers Academy
Best Mini Series - Not reading any
Best Event - DC Relaunch
Best Writer - Parker(Thunderbolts)
Best Artist - Finch
Best Male Hero - Aquaman
Best Female Hero - Finesse
Best Supporting Male Character - Red Hood
Best Supporting Female Character - Rachel Grey
Best Villain - Archangel
Best Fight - Odin vs Galactus
Best Moment - Hit-Girl's return to action in KickAss

Best Hero (Male)
Aquaman - For years I have consistently pushed the idea that Aquaman is badass. Now thanks to Geoff Johns' new Aquaman ongoing, I feel vindicated for my stubborn defense of my favorite superhero with the growing acceptance that Aquaman is indeed a badass.

Runners Up
Batman (Bruce Wayne)
Wolverine

Best Hero (Female)
Batwoman - After a disappearance last year, Batwoman has returned to us with the high quality stories that we have all come to expect from the character.

Runners Up
Wonder Woman
Batgirl

Best Supporting Character (Male)
Robin (Damian Wayne) - Three years in a row now, I award Damian Wayne the Award for Best Supporting Male Character. Damian's role as Bruce Wayne's son and Dick Grayson's protege continues to be one of the best stories being told in comics.

Runners Up
Bob, Agent of H.Y.D.R.A. (MAX version)
Fantomex

Best Supporting Character (Female)
Mera - Aquaman would not be the book that it is without Mera by her husband's side. Much like Aquaman, Mera also demonstrates her aptitude in badassery.

Runners Up
Flamebird
Maggie Sawyer

Best Villain (Male)
Archangel - Angel being consumed by Apocalypse's corruption tore through the heartstrings of both X-Force and the readers all while he nonchalantly slaughters thousands.

Runners Up
Professor Zoom
James Gordon, Jr.

Best Villain (Female)
Talia al-Ghul - Leviathan revealed *****es!

Runners Up
Mary, Queen of Blood
Hera (DC Comics)

Best Story
TIE!

The Dark Angel Saga (Uncanny X-Force #11 - 18) and The Dark Mirror (Detective Comics #871 - 881) - I just loved how absolutely perfect these stories were that I just couldn't just give it to one of them

Runners Up
Batman: Knight of Vengeance (Flashpoint - Batman: Knight of Vengeance #1 - 3)
Wolverine's Revenge (Wolverine #10 - 14)

Best Fight
Wolverine vs. the Mongrels (Wolverine #10 - 14) - See below to see why

Runners Up
the Atlantis/Amazon War (Flashpoint)
Batman (Thomas Wayne) vs. the Joker (Martha Wayne) (Flashpoint - Batman: Knight of Vengeance #3)

Best Moment
Wolverine finds out that he kills his children! (Wolverine #14) - Didn't see that coming and brought such a dramatic change to the character. The Red Right Hand got their revenge indeed.

Runners Up
Talia is revealed to be Leviathan (Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes!)
Fantomex kills the Child Apocalypse (Uncanny X-Force #4)

Best Miniseries or One-Shot
Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes! by Grant Morrison - A fantastic conclusion to Grant Morrison's excellent Batman Incorporated series. Here's too reading Batman: Leviathan to finish his epic run on Batman.

Runners Up
Flashpoint - Batman: Knight of Vengeance by Brian Azzarello
Batman: Gates of Gotham by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins

Best Ongoing
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender - Why hasn't Marvel made Rick Remender one of their Architects? Uncanny X-Force is the best ongoing series that they have! It would have been a tie with Detective Comics, but it got cancelled and Snyder's run on Batman only just started, so Uncanny X-Force is the clear winner here.

Runners Up
Aquaman by Geoff Johns
Avengers Academy by Christos Gage

Best Event
Flashpoint by Geoff Johns - While the Flashpoint main series wasn't too much to brag about it did deliver on some very solid tie ins and paved the way for DC's The New 52, which is delivering on all points.

Runners Up
**** Fear Itself, that event blows!

Best Trade
N/A

Best Publisher
DC Comics - DC has giving the comic book industry a much needed shot in the arm with the New 52 and their digital initiative. Here's to hoping that it will last. And DC's new line up has put out some great quality books as well like Aquaman, Action Comics, Batman, Batwoman, Demon Knights, I, Vampire, and many others.

Best Writer
TIE!

Rick Remender (Uncanny X-Force, Venom) and Scott Snyder (Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: Gates of Gotham, American Vampire) - These two have delivered some of the best comics yet with their runs on Uncanny X-Force and Detective Comics.

Runners Up
Geoff Johns (Flashpoint, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Justice League)
Grant Morrison (Batman Incorporated, Action Comics)

Best Artist
TIE!

Francis Manapul (the Flash) and J.H. Williams III (Batwoman) - The beautiful art and the way they are sequenced really make their books shine to where they are not only a joy to read, but gorgeous to look at.

Runners Up
Jim Lee (Justice League)
Ivan Reis (Aquaman)

Breakout Writer
Scott Snyder (Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: Gates of Gotham, American Vampire) - This guy just suddenly came out of nowhere on the scene. He's gone from some Vertigo guy to A-lister overnight!

Runners Up
J.H. Williams III (Batwoman)
Francis Manapul (the Flash)

Breakout Artist
Fernando Dagnino (Resurrection Man) - I'm really loving this guy's work on Resurrection Man. Here's to hoping for bigger and better things for him in the future

Runners Up
N/A

Last edited:
Best Publisher: DC
Best Ongoing: Avengers Academy (it's honestly kind of hard to vote for anything DC in this category, as all of their series change drastically in September...not that AA doesn't totally deserve it)
Best Mini Series: Didn't read enough to say.
Best Event: DC Relaunch
Best Writer: Grant Morrison
Best Artist: JH Williams
Best Male Hero: DCnU Superman
Best Female Hero: Batwoman
Best Supporting Male Character: Robin (Damian)
Best Villain: Talia al Ghul
Best New Ongoing: Animal Man
Best Comic Book Movie: Captain America

Edit:

Last edited:
Best Publisher
-Tough one. DC's relaunch has everybody interested regardless of whether you like it or not. Marvel to me has better books, but they also have too many events and saturation of stale characters. Meanwhile Image seems to put out underrated stuff on the regular, so I'll go with Image.
Best Ongoing
-Daredevil. It's been an incredible first 7 issues.
Best Mini Series
-Power Man and Iron Fist
Best Event
-They all sucked. lol I haven't read Spider Island yet though, so if it counts that wins by default.
Best Writer
-Robert Kirkman, but Mark Waid and David Liss are nipping at his heels. Brubaker is always a winner too.
Best Artist
-Kev Walker
Best Male Hero
-Daredevil
Best Female Hero
-
Moonstone
-Oliver aka Omni-Boy
-Troll
Best Villain
-Massacre from Batwing. I'm loving that dude right now.
Best Fight
-Nolan vs. Allen in Invincible
Best Moment
- Static back in his own ongoing after a long ass time away. It's probably not going to last long though.:csad:

Best Publisher
I'm gonna go with DC. Yeah, they hit the reset button like most of us flush a toilet but restarting your entire line from #1's is a pretty radical move. It has paid off so far and the entire industry is thrilled that sales are climbing out of dangerous levels. Marvel didn't do a lot to compete at all. They need to step up their game in 2012.

Best Ongoing
Uncanny X-Force. This thing has been a damn fine epic. Punisher MAX, Avengers Academy and Journey into Mystery could have all easily been #1 if not for this book being around. It's been building a saga since issue #1 and it's success has landed Remender an Avengers title. I'm excited for what's to come in 2012 out of this title.

Best Mini Series
Deadpool MAX, even though, it could be considered a Maxi series. Dave Lapham's work here has provided us with one of the best versions of a character that has been way too overexposed for his own good and has been slightly rivaled by Rick Remender's job in UXF. It has been cancelled but Lapham will move on to other work in Marvel (I'm totally drawing a blank on where he's going next, Wolverine after Aaron I think...?) Kyle Baker's art is genius, it's like Deadpool took over an issue of Mad Magazine.

Best Event
Spider-Island wins this easily. I didn't read Flashpoint and Fear Itself was a debacle. I wanted to give ASM some sort of love because there was a lot of competition for the ongoing and writing categories. Dan Slott provided us with one of the best Spider-Man events since The Sinister Six stories in the early 90's. ASM had a damn good year. Big Time lived up to the hype, OMD and BND are close to being a distant memory. ASM made some solid strides this year. I have huge expectations for the "Ends of the Earth" story early next year.

Best Writer
Rick Remender. He's been on fire this past year. Not only did he improve upon and rationalize a concept most hardcore X-fans disagree with in X-Force, he successfully gave the Spider-Man line and Venom character it's first good solo in a long time. Many had failed but Venom has been a home run so far. Next up for Rick is a Secret Avengers, a book with a ton of potential that hasn't lived up to expectations so far.

Best Artist
Stuart Immonen. Yeah, Fear Itself was one of the worst big events in a long while but Immonen was the only good thing about it. It was a huge waste of his talents but he did provide a Marvel event that shipped on time, a rarity at Marvel when it comes to these things. He's sitting in limbo right now probably getting a well deserved rest. I'm guessing when he gets his next work at Marvel, it's going to be big. My money is being paired with the new writer on the main Avengers book once Bendis leaves.

Guiseppe Camuncoli deserves recognition here as well. His stock continues to rise at Marvel. He leaped from Daken to the ASM rotation with a ton of cover work in between. He also stepped in at the last minute to finish McNiven's only Cap arc. The short lived Martin/Rivera tandem on DD were terrific too.

Best Male Hero
Flash Thompson as Venom. A former alcoholic that has fallen off the wagon almost as much as Tony Stark has, now given the keys to a deadly weapon. He's lost control of it once or twice trying to the right thing, whether it's protecting civilians, Betty Brant or his now dead father. Now he's forced to go on the run. He's got demons and is forced to work with one.

Best Female Hero
Psylocke for her role in Uncanny X-Force. She hasn't been used this well since Claremont overhauled her in the 90's. She's been elevated 7 or 8 notches up the ladder as far as heroine's go.

Fantomex from Uncanny X-Force. I used to not give a hoot for this guy who was more or less a throw away character from Grant Morrison's run. He is calculating and methodical. This guy killed a 5yr old in cold blood, then secretly cloned him to raise him the way the team intended too anyway just to prove to himself he can do it. He's blurring the line of hero and villain every step he takes. He's clearly in love with Psylocke, yet almost manipulates her. He's made leaps and bounds as a character in 2011.

Finesse from Avengers Academy. Both she and Reptil are 2 members of the team that I see being key figures in the Marvel Universe in years to come. Someday I expect a writer to do some strong work with both of them but Finesse is a damn interesting character.

Best Villain
Matt Fraction. Just kidding. Warren Worthington aka Angel aka Archangel aka Apocalypse. A sad fall from grace we all knew was coming but was still hard to watch. I used to dislike the guy but his latter years are going to hover over the X-Men for years to come.

Best Fight
Punisher vs Bullseye in PunisherMAX. One hell of a violent fight that at the time ended in a deadlock, Bullseye in a coma and Frank in jail. Frank may have killed him as he layed in his coma but the mind f**k Bullseye gave him is still having it's effect months later.

Best Moment
Fantomex shooting the child version of Apocalypse point blank in the head. It was the one true holy s**t moment of 2011. It shook the entire team to it's core for the months to come. It even rattled a guy like Deadpool, who is usually written and written off as a buffoon.

Best Team
Avengers Academy easily. They grew up a lot this year and I don't mean their run in with Michael Korvac. Their fight with the Absorbing Man and Titania during Fear Itself was their defining moment of 2011.

Best new Ongoing
Daredevil. Great writer, great art team, great approach on a character that had way too many years living in the dark.

There is so much love for Uncanny X-Force. I might try it out soon.

I thought that Fantomex killing the Child Apocalypse was from last year! Crap, looks like I'll have to update.

I thought that Fantomex killing the Child Apocalypse was from last year! Crap, looks like I'll have to update.

It's close. The book is labeled as March 2011, which means it could have been out in either December or January.

Ok, I got it. This weeks books are the last of 2011 and they say Feb 2012. Going by that, Uncanny X-Force #5 was the March 2011 issue, which means it was actually released in January.

I still will never understand why they're listed 2 months ahead. I put it in the stupid questions thread and I still don't get it.

Wolverine tricked into killing his kids was a solid pick though. It was one of the best swerves I remember reading in a comic in the past few years. I had no idea where Aaron was going with that arc, I was stunned to say the least.

Yea I have to say Aaron and Rememder saved Wolverine's character from mediocrity. The character was going down hill but they both have been able to make the character fresh and give him a great new direction.

I'll go with the ones that I can answer off the top of my head. A lot of the categories are really open ended because there was a LOT of awesome material this year.

Best Publisher - Goes to DC. However, Image and IDW come in a VERY close second and third. Image puts out some of the most quality books and most fun books that I read. IDW because of some of their franchise material like TMNT and Ghostbusters. Plus IDW packages hardcovers VERY WELL and the Artist Editions they are doing are absolutely amazing. The Walt Simonson one is so beautiful and full of great material. I'll definitely be getting the IDW Artist Edition for John Romita's Amazing Spider-Man.

Best Ongoing - Chew. It's my favorite comic of all time and it never fails in pure entertainment. It's an interesting story with a great comedic vibe. Rob Guillroy's artwork is so great and drops tons of Easter eggs into his books. Some Honorable mentions: Invincible, Daredevil, Sweet Tooth, Unwritten, and American Vampire

Best Event - Spider-Island. It started off REALLY slow and the first three parts were tough to get through but after that it picked up steam and is the catalyst that brought back the Scarlet Spider. Winner in my book

Best Writer - Grant Morrison. He did great work on Batman and his book Supergods was a really great read. Currently he's doing a fine job on Action Comics

Best Artist - Frances Manapul. His work on The Flash is some of the most amazing work I've seen and he is definitely in a class of his own.

Best Writer - Scott Snyder: Since his debut on Detective, his work on the Bat-titles has been amazing. It's definitely the dark, gritty type of Bat-stories, which are exactly the kind I like best. I do wish he had more time to work with Dick-Batman, though.

Best Artist - Ryan Ottley: Guy has always been on point, but since the beginning of the Viltrumite War he's taken it to another level. I bet if he were on a Marvel or DC book he'd be recognized as one of the best in the business right now, but he deserves to be in the discussion either way. That said, J.H. Williams might have claimed this spot had he done a few more issues of Batwoman this year. The art on that book is just beautiful.

Best Colorist - FCO Plascenia: ...and it's not even close. His signature bright and glossy colors on Invincible have made the book stand out for years, and this year was no different. The few issues he didn't do were extremely noticeable, and in a bad way. All that did was make me appreciate him even more. I'm so liking what he's done on Batman so far. The tone of the book isn't just an extreme contrast from Invincible's, it's its polar opposite, and he's adjusted extremely well, IMO.

Best Arc - The Black Mirror (Detective 871-881): Modern day Bat-classic.

Best Mini - Who is Jake Ellis?: Nate Edmondson had me hooked with the first few pages of issue one.

Best New Ongoing - Daredevil: Although it's not the grittier type of street level stuff I normally prefer, Waid's run has been a blast to read. Probably Marvel's best book this year.

Best Moment - Rick cutting off Jessie's hand (The Walking Dead): What do you do when your newly found lady friend is being attacked by zombies, but won't let go off your son's hand? Without a second of thought, you cut off her f***ing hand! That's what! Best Moment easily would've went to Carl being shot had he died.

Best Comic-based Movie - X-Men: First Class: Fassbender was the Magneto we deserved, but also the one the X-franchise needed right then.

Last edited:
I wrote a whole article about this on Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/comic-books...other-bits-of-2011-where-does-all-the-time-go

But, I'll play along as I do every year.

Best Publisher: Tricky, this. 2011 was DC's year, yet I didn't read more than 2 DC books for long, which is how many DC books I have been reading for ages. Marvel has been contracting. IDW has done some great things with the TMNT, and Image Comics always has things going on. I'll honor my geek's heart and give it to IDW for TMNT. They've attained a brilliant coup by having Kevin Eastman work on their relaunched series, because that helps some of the drastic changes to the canon go down easier. It's been a great surprise, and the micro-series has been fine, too. So, IDW for me.

Best Ongoing: AVENGERS ACADEMY, hands down for me. Honorable mentions go to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and the relaunches of VENOM and DAREDEVIL.

Best Mini Series: MYSTERY MEN by David Liss and Patrick Zircher. I am liking VILLAINS FOR HIRE right now, and POWER MAN & IRON FIST was good. But the first one was the most surprisingly good for me.

Best Event: SPIDER-ISLAND. Honorable mention goes to THE VILTRUMITE WAR from INVINCIBLE.

Worst Event: FEAR ITSELF, easily. AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE is coming close to being the never-ending story, and not in a good way.

Best Writer: Christos Gage for me. Honorable mentions go to Dan Slott, Fred Van Lente, Rick Remender and Robert Kirkman.

Best Artist: Paolo Rivera. Honorable mentions go to Marcos Martin and Ryan Ottley.

Best Male Hero: As much as I have liked Spider-Man this year, I think I'll give this nod to the most improved hero - MATT MURDOCK/DAREDEVIL. Honorable mention also goes to Flash Thompson/Venom.

Best Female Hero: From what I've read this year? Invisible Woman, I guess.

Best Supporting Male Character: Casey Jones from IDW's TMNT.

Best Supporting Female Character: Mary Jane Watson. How many female supporting characters can a hero fight back to back with against giant monster spiders?

Best Villain: The Queen from SPIDER-ISLAND. Slott made a new villain from 2004 into a major threat without making her nearly as annoying as some writers make the Hood. Plus, she hasn't overstayed her welcome. Honorable Mentions go to Lex Luthor from ACTION COMICS along with the Jackal and Purple Man.

Best Fight: Nolan vs. Allen from INVINCIBLE was pretty sweet. There have been a few good battles in AVENGERS ACADEMY. I am probably alone here, but I got a bit of a kick out of Spider-Man vs. Tarantula during "SPIDER-ISLAND".

Best Moment: Spider-Man saving everyone at the end of SPIDER-ISLAND. MJ was at his side and he was proving it's his brains and imagination, not just Class 10 strength and web-shooters, that make him a hero.

Best Ongoing: Daredevil, At some point during Brubaker's run I stopped caring about Daredevil and dropped the book. I have no qualms against depressing stories but Matt Murdock's life had become farcical. The book became stale and tedious. Then ridiculous when Daredevil pulled a Hal Jordan and went all Parallax on everybody. Thankful, Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera, and Marcos Martin were able to ressurect the book and actually do something worthwhile with the character instead of outrageously tearing up their life.

Best Mini Series: Deadpool Max, Deadpool is a character that I've never cared for, aside from a few instance. Joe Kelly's run was good and Remender is definitely do good work with him on X-Force but Lapham's and Baker's deranged portrayal sets the bar for Deadpool stories for me.

Best Event: Vengeance, yes I'm counting this as an event. It builds upon all of Casey's past Marvel work with it cumulating in a giant cosmic war that stretches across time and space of the Marvel Universe.

Best Writer: Jason Aaron, for Scalped, Punisher Max, and Wolverine and the X-Men. The man got me to read a book titled Wolverine and the X-Men never did I think I would ever read a book like that.

Best Artist: Mike Huddleston, madness. The art of Butcher Baker is something else. Through Fear and Loathingesque desert highways to the great beyond of the Happy Place, Huddleston's art is a trippy tour through a macho superhero hell.

Best Single Issue: Batman Inc: Leviathan Strikes, god I'm going to miss cool, super agent Batman so much. Morrison and Burnham firing on all their engines. I can't wait for the next series

Best Graphic Novel: Habibi, a fantastic follow up to Blankets. One of the more beautiful looking books of the year.

Best Overall Comic: Love and Rockets New Stories #4: The Love Bunglers, The Locas stories are some of my all time favorite comics and Jamie Hernandez seems to have finally close off that set of stories with a great ending.

Top ten
10. Criminal: Last of the Innocents
9. Casanova: Avaritia
8. Spaceman
7. Butcher Baker, the Righteous Maker
5. Batman Inc
4. Daredevil
3. Habibi
2. Big Question
1. Love and Rockets New Stories #4

Best Publisher
Image. Out of left field a bit, perhaps, but Image put out a lot of great stuff this year, from excellent long-running ongoings like The Walking Dead to great new series like Gladstone's School for World Conquerors to some utterly fantastic minis like Who Is Jake Ellis? While Marvel was busy floundering with event after lackluster event and DC was busy throwing the baby out with the bathwater--however good some parts of the New 52 have been--Image was just chugging along with its usual model of putting out great comics that aren't afraid to push the envelope. Can't ask for more than that.

Best Ongoing
Avengers Academy. Sure, there are series that are more ambitious or more original or whatever, but I'm never more excited for a series each time it comes out than I am for AA. Gage has done an excellent job of making me care about the Avengers' students, and he's found a perfect balance between them and their teachers' subplots. It's a bit ironic that this is my pick given that I usually hate series that focus too heavily on kids; it's even more ironic that my other top contenders for Best Ongoing are Journey into Mystery, Daredevil, and Wolverine and the X-Men, two of which feature kids heavily.

Best Mini Series
This is a tie for me between Who Is Jake Ellis? and Vengeance. Who Is Jake Ellis? was a wonderfully taut spy mystery/thriller that was intense from beginning to end. Vengeance started out totally weird and then coalesced into an amazing retrospective on the Marvel universe as it stands with an eye toward its future. There's more going on in both, obviously, but for brevity's sake I'll leave it there. Both were awesome, both had me on the edge of my seat, and both are probably gonna wind up as trades on my bookshelf even after I've already bought their individual issues--a rare honor indeed.

Best Event
I guess the New 52 sort of has to win this by default, huh? Love it or hate it--or, like me, love some of its end results while hating its total lack of necessity--it's definitely the biggest thing that happened in comics in 2011 by far. Hell, it's probably the biggest thing that happened in comics for the past decade. I'm still kind of in wait-and-see mode for how it all pans out, but the good seems to be outweighing the bad so far. I realize this isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, but given how terrible just about all of the events in comics were this year, the New 52 is the best of a bad bunch.

Best Writer
Mark Waid. As if managing all of Boom weren't enough, he rides right back into Marvel with a take on Daredevil so amazing that even I, the notorious Daredevil-hater, have come to love his series. Plus, he's been pumping out pretty damn good issues of both Irredeemable and Incorruptible regularly. He's making writing three great series look easy while lesser writers are struggling with just one.

Best Artist
Olivier Coipel. Maybe I'm biased because he's primarily known for Thor now or because I've got a piece of said Thor art tattooed onto my arm, but I feel like Coipel is operating on a whole other level compared to 90% of his peers. His pacing is flawless, the energy of his action scenes is unparalleled (Odin headbutting Galactus! :awesome:), his poses are varied and dynamic--basically, he's everything I could ever want in an artist of superhero comics. I literally open old issues from him and just stare at them, page-by-page. I've re-read Thor #600 for its Thor/Bor fight like 10 times at this point. I have a total man-crush on Coipel's art.

Best Male Hero
Superman. The total retconning of virtually all things Superman is one of the many things I found totally unnecessary about the New 52, but even I have a hard time arguing against the revitalization Morrison's Action Comics has pumped back into the character. It's been a great read so far and it's preserved a lot of what's always been great about Supes.

Best Female Hero
Becky Montcrief of The Sixth Gun. Another left-field choice, perhaps, but I haven't enjoyed any ladies in the Big 2's comics so much as I've enjoyed Becky's evolution over this past year from a helpless victim to a naive-yet-fiercely-spirited fighter. The current arc of The Sixth Gun seems to be signaling the start of her next transformation--this time into a tough-as-nails adventurer in her own right as she readies herself to openly defy the Sword of Abraham and head off to rescue Drake Sinclair--the guy who initially rescued her just three arcs ago.

Crossbones. He's kicking ass and taking names in The Fearless right now alongside Sin, who's an excellent villain in her own right. He hasn't really evolved or anything, so there's not much more to say about him past that, except that he's as entertaining as ever.

Troll. I just f***ing love her. An Asgardian goddess who was raised to be a savage by trolls and ultimately starts wearing a hairy troll skin to ape her "family." What more could you ask for? She's been a fun, morally ambiguous addition to the Thunderbolts so far, especially now that she's off the leash.

Best Villain
Loki. True, he's not exactly an outright villain at the moment, but his nature demands that he'll always have that villainous edge to him. His most 'heroic' acts so far have been running roughshod all over Odin's rules, hijacking and/or manipulating various things and beings, and making various Faustian bargains, all toward the goal of ultimately ensuring a prophecy that hinges on his beloved brother's death will come about. After all, in a year where the heroes spent most of the time fighting each other or villains so aggressively underwhelming that they're sure to be instantly forgotten (Serpent, I'm looking at you), isn't "kinda villainous" villainous enough?

Best Fight
Asgardians vs. the Silver Surfer and Galactus for the cosmic seed. Say what you will about Fraction's Thor comics--I myself say things like "god, they're f***ing terrible" and "why is this *****e allowed to write comics at all?" quite often--but the basic plot of Galactus and Odin going to war over this object of immense power was sound. It reintroduced Galactus to the Thor mythos (where he spent a lot of time early on, even to the point of having his origin first revealed in Thor's pages by Jack Kirby himself) and, even better, it led to several knock-down, drag-out, pulse-pounding fights that, thanks to Olivier Coipel, were a pure joy to behold. Thor vs. the Silver Surfer, the Asgardians taking the fight to space against Galactus' defenses, Odin and Galactus engaging in gritty, visceral one-on-one combat that the cosmic types are usually considered too evolved for. Coipel's fight scenes took a somewhat mediocre story with a solid foundation to unparalleled heights by punctuating Fraction's bland story beats with tableaus bursting with the kind of pure excitement I haven't felt in superhero comics since Kirby, Buscema, et al. were first establishing all of the titanic rivalries that set Marvel apart from the Distinguished Competition back in the day.

Best Moment
The original Vision's return. There were a whole bunch of great moments this year, from Odin's aforementioned headbutting of Galactus to Jon breaking into the facility he previously broke out of to find Jake Ellis lying catatonic in a bed, but none of them got me as excited as the original Vision's return. Perhaps it's because the Vision's return came so out of nowhere. Sure, everyone knew the Vision was joining the Avengers thanks to cover solicitations and such, but pretty much everyone assumed it would be the Young Avengers' Vision 2.0. When I flipped through that Avengers issue and found that it was, in fact, the original, rebuilt by Tony Stark, I barely stopped myself from giggling like a little girl in the middle of my comic shop. Sure, it may not be as epic or momentous as other moments, and of course Bendis will likely find some subplot for the Vision so terrible it'll make me regret the fact that he's back at some point, but right then, at that moment, I felt like a little kid again, taken aback by the surprise and wonder that superhero comics can provide.

Best Publisher
Image. Out of left field a bit, perhaps, but Image put out a lot of great stuff this year, from excellent long-running ongoings like The Walking Dead to great new series like Gladstone's School for World Conquerors to some utterly fantastic minis like Who Is Jake Ellis? While Marvel was busy floundering with event after lackluster event and DC was busy throwing the baby out with the bathwater--however good some parts of the New 52 have been--Image was just chugging along with its usual model of putting out great comics that aren't afraid to push the envelope. Can't ask for more than that.

I agree with this.

I thought about putting Image, but considering the amount of awesome comics that are coming from them in 2012 - Fatale, Saga, Bulletproof Coffin 2, etc. - it almost made 2011 seem lackluster.

Best Moment
The original Vision's return. There were a whole bunch of great moments this year, from Odin's aforementioned headbutting of Galactus to Jon breaking into the facility he previously broke out of to find Jake Ellis lying catatonic in a bed, but none of them got me as excited as the original Vision's return. Perhaps it's because the Vision's return came so out of nowhere. Sure, everyone knew the Vision was joining the Avengers thanks to cover solicitations and such, but pretty much everyone assumed it would be the Young Avengers' Vision 2.0. When I flipped through that Avengers issue and found that it was, in fact, the original, rebuilt by Tony Stark, I barely stopped myself from giggling like a little girl in the middle of my comic shop. Sure, it may not be as epic or momentous as other moments, and of course Bendis will likely find some subplot for the Vision so terrible it'll make me regret the fact that he's back at some point, but right then, at that moment, I felt like a little kid again, taken aback by the surprise and wonder that superhero comics can provide.

I'm very worried that Bendis is going to f this up before he leaves and the next writer won't be able to use him.

And I friggin LOVE what Gillen is doing with Loki in JiM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"