LHC Particle Masher thread... (Quest for "Theory of EVerything")

Well it was just turned on....it is going to take a couple months for it to generate enough energy for any serious experiments...

I actually keep one in my trunk along with some basic tools....hey, you never know when you might need it

we are still alive!!!!!!!!! that deserves a celebration!!!! **smokes a foot long spliff**
hoooohahahahahehehehehahahaha

I covered this point in my last sentence.

Also, everyday conviniences aren't particularly necessary for life to move forward. I would rather have money being spent on useful stuff like reducing unemployment rates and making sure people don't go starving.

you have to admit the potential advancements made in this field aren't going to help solve any of the world's current problems. It follows the quest to create solutions for issues that aren't widespread. It's very much a niche market with a relatively small field for application.

How is understanding how the universe works going to solve the HIV problem currently existing in africa?
How do you expect physicists to solve that problem? :huh: This is the most asinine point yet. The problem is that you're certainly not the first person to make it. So, I reiterate: you're saying that physicists should just quit.

Obviously, they're not studying anything worthwhile. :whatever:

November Rain said:
You lack the ability to reason affectively.

I'm not saying physics is useless, I'm saying this type of experiementation is stuff that should really be done when there aren't any more issues left or they become minor. Spend money on real issues that affect real people first and then answer these questions later.

you don't go to bed to dream while leaving the cooker on do you? This is very much the same point.
Yes, I lack the ability to reason effectively. How superior you must be.

What are the physicists supposed to do? Sit on their thumbs while some microbiologists/bioengineers spend decades trying to cure AIDS? Why not make progress in other fields simultaneously?

Makes sense to me.

November Rain said:
besides a large amount of money is always spent on science not to specifically answer questions but to be the first to answer questions, the prestige with spending large amounts of work to try and obtain answers to questions we'll never know never ceases to amaze me.
They're looking for bits and pieces of information that can help us see the bigger picture. They're not looking for absolute and definite answers with respect to the origin of the universe.

This just happens to be the next step for physicists. There are already people with funding working on other problems. Let the physicists do their damn job. :huh:

November Rain said:
I'm PhD engineering student and nearly a doctor so i understand the quest to answer questions as well as the prestige of obtaining it but as an african national, i also see money being blown constantly on obtaining only a small amount of additional knowledge, knowledge that really makes no impact on poor societies.
I understand your bias and your point, but this research is far from useless. That's my stand.

This might lead us to a new form of energy....I think that's worthwhile....finding out about the origin of the universe is the main goal ,yes...but I'm sure there are other things that can be culled from this experiment

yea thats what i think, with fuel prices being a absolute rip off i think its about time we discovered a new type of fuel. like ION energy or summin so we can have flying cars!!!

This might lead us to a new form of energy....I think that's worthwhile....finding out about the origin of the universe is the main goal ,yes...but I'm sure there are other things that can be culled from this experiment

I ain't drivin any car powered by a micro black hole, and neither should you :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"