Lilo & Stitch-The Live Action Remake

Reaction score
'Lilo & Stitch' Live-Action Remake in the Works at Disney (Exclusive)

Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich, who are already working on the live-action remake of 'Aladdin,' are producing what will be a live-action/CG hybrid.

Stitch is back.

Lilo & Stitch, the 2002 animated movie from Walt Disney Feature Animation, is getting the live-action treatment, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The studio has hired up-and-comer Mike Van Waes to pen the script for the remake that will be produced by Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback, formerly known as Lin Pictures. The two are already known in the Disney halls as they working on the high-profile live-action remake of Aladdin.

Stitch was written and directed by Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders, who later found acclaim with How to Train Your Dragon.

The Hawaii-centric story told of the bond formed between a lonely human girl named Lilo and a dog-like alien named Stitch, who is engineered to be a force of destruction. Pursuing aliens, social workers, and the idea of the bond of family figure into the proceedings.

While not a massive success by modern box office standards, the well-regarded movie was a bright spot in a down period of Disney’s animation history and launched several direct-to-video sequels as well as several television series.

It is unclear whether the feature project, which is intended to be a live-action/CG hybrid, is intended for theatrical release or for Disney's streaming service that launches in 2019.

Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is co-producing.

The feature project is the latest in Disney’s successful strategy of mining their past animated classics and re-purposing them as live-action tentpoles events. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Pete’s Dragon are some of the recent releases with Dumbo, The Lion King and Aladdin among those heading moviegoers’ way in the future.

Van Waes is better known in Hollywood circles as a writer of horror fare. He wrote The Crooked Man, based on a character from New Line’s The Conjuring 2 and that is being developed as a Conjuring Universe spinoff. He also wrote Not in Kansas, a Wizard of Oz-themed horror project also set up at New Line. He is repped by CAA and Grandview.

Lin’s Aladdin is due in theaters May 24, 2019. Guy Ritchie directed the movie, which stars Will Smith as Genie.

I googled "Real life Stitch" and this is what I got.

how-cartoon-characters-would-look-in-real-life-1.jpg

Even though Disney has been doing live-action versions of their animated films, this one never came to mind as a possibility.

Lilo & Stitch is easily one of my favorite Disney Movies. I am not looking forward to this.

This sounds fun. Budget is gonna be bananas.

Oh for crying out loud.

Hey, Disney, how about, I don't know, finding some new properties to adapt instead of just remaking stories you've done already?

I do think this one makes a lot of sense, and is one of the more natural live-action adaptions out of their animated canon. Certainly moreso than something like Lion King or Lady and the Tramp.

I still haven't watched any of the animated inputs on this franchise, this might not stop me from watching this nonsense.
I googled "Real life Stitch" and this is what I got.

how-cartoon-characters-would-look-in-real-life-1.jpg
I like this gremlin manip.

...They're just trying to get that Moana actress more work, aren't they?

...They're just trying to get that Moana actress more work, aren't they?
I mean, she would be perfect for Lilo's sister.

I saw Lilo and Stitch when I was 13 and haven't seen it since. I don't dislike it, nor do I have nostalgia for it. For me, it was one of those "middle of the road" Disney movies from the 2000's (see also: Atlantis and Dinosaur). I'm not gonna lie, I would be curious to see what a live action version would look like.

I’m looking forward to seeing this tank in live action

One of Disney's better (or at least more entertaining) animated movies. Prefer it over most of the more classic, musical stuff they do most of the time. Still doesn't feel much excitement over a live action remake. It's already getting tiresome with this remaking stuff. It's no longer a question of if a certain movie will be remade, it's just a question of when. A Frozen remake is probably inevitable for some time next decade.

I oddly feel there could be more backlash to this than some other Disney remakes depending on what the first look and trailers show. Lotta folks grew up with this franchise and have really deep feelings about it. One false move and they'll riot.

Just...why? I don't get it. I can sort of understand doing the older movies, but like another poster said, L&S is only 16 years old. It's not like it needs to be reintroduced to a new generation.

They're probably only making it because they need content for their streaming service.

Just...why? I don't get it. I can sort of understand doing the older movies, but like another poster said, L&S is only 16 years old. It's not like it needs to be reintroduced to a new generation.

By the time this hits the big screen it would be closer to 20 years since release actually so...

I am looking forward to seeing Pudge the fish steal the show

The only live-action Disney remake I’m actively campaigning for is Hunchback of Norte Dame.

Oh lordt if they do that please don’t have all the French people speak with British accents

How will we know they're foreign?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"