Disney To Remake Cult-Favorite Atlantis The Lost Empire In Live Action!

I'm more familiar with Mu because of the TV show The Mysterious Cities of Gold.
Never heard about it.

I've read that Atlantis started out as a Lemurian colony. Later, they had different ideals and declared war on each other.
Atlanteans held themselves in high regard and wanted to be in charge, to control other civilizations.
Something of a "world police". Sounds a little familiar.

But one of your links claims Lemuria sank before Atlantis rose to power.
Why are there different versions of the story?

I've bought a book about Lemuria & Atlantis. Let's see what it's about.

The original holds up exceptionally well. It's one of the unsung treasures of the 90's Disney renaissance. Beautifully animated. I can see how cool it could be realizing that near-steampunk World War 1 aesthetic in live action, but given the track record of Didney's live action remakes I'm hesitant to get very excited about it, even if this makes more sense on paper as an adaptation.

Btw, here's my fan pics for some of the cast and director.

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Cast:

Milo Thatch- Tom Holland
Helga Sinclair- Either Daisy Ridley or Charlie
Whitmore- Christopher Plummer (unless he dies before production)
Commandre Rourke- Ron Perlman
Audrey- Michelle Rodriguez
Dr. Joshua Sweet- Anthony Mackie

Considering that Audrey is supposed to be 18, Michelle Rodriguez probably wouldn’t be age appropriate. Someone like Isabela Moner, who is exactly the same age as her character, would work better. Her being the youngest of the crew and being as capable as she is is the main point of her character.

Same with Perlman. He’s 70. Rourke is 54. That’s a 16 year age difference. I like Perlman, and 10-15 years earlier, I probably would have said yes, but he’s just not the right age and probably can’t do as much physical stuff as he used to. Someone like Brad Pitt, who is 56, is only 2 years removed from Rourke’s age, and can do all of the physical stuff.

For Sweet, I’d probably go for Mike Coulter. Sweet’s supposed to be a kind, gentile mountain of a man, which Anthony Mackie is not. Plus, Coulter’s around the same age as Sweet, looks like him and sounds like him.

Bobby Cannavale would be my choice for Vinny...or Jon Bernthal to give him something different.

It's obvious that Quaritch was supposed to be a take off of Rourke, so I'm not typecasting him into this.

Never heard about it.

I've read that Atlantis started out as a Lemurian colony. Later, they had different ideals and declared war on each other.
Atlanteans held themselves in high regard and wanted to be in charge, to control other civilizations.
Something of a "world police". Sounds a little familiar.

But one of your links claims Lemuria sank before Atlantis rose to power.
Why are there different versions of the story?

I've bought a book about Lemuria & Atlantis. Let's see what it's about.

It's made up ancient history, some story tells one thing, some other things depending on the author.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold is an animated show from the 80 which was continued with 2 more seasons not too long ago (couple of years).

YES. I love the original and it takes some balls to remake a financial failure into possibly a better and more successful film. A worthy experiment in my eyes.
I wasn’t aware Atlantis was considered a financial failure.

I wasn’t aware Atlantis was considered a financial failure.

It was in a line of expensive failures for Disney that caused the death of 2D animation at the studio; Atlantis, Brother Bear, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range. Only Lilo & Stitch was a hit at that time.

I feel like all those flicks with the exception of Home on the Range were underrated.

It’s a shame because I like classic animation a heck of a lot more than what they do now.

It was in a line of expensive failures for Disney that caused the death of 2D animation at the studio; Atlantis, Brother Bear, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range. Only Lilo & Stitch was a hit at that time.

I feel like all those flicks with the exception of Home on the Range were underrated.

The Emperor's New Groove can also be added to that list. Hilarious but it also had disappointing box office results.

To this day I haven't seen Treasure Planet or Brother Bear in their entirety. I should check them out on Disney+. Not at all interested in watching Home on the Range. Never was, never will be. Roseanne as the main character in any movie? No thanks. :o

The Emperor's New Groove can also be added to that list. Hilarious but it also had disappointing box office results.

To this day I haven't seen Treasure Planet or Brother Bear in their entirety. I should check them out on Disney+. Not at all interested in watching Home on the Range. Never was, never will be. Roseanne as the main character in any movie? No thanks. :o

You and I both, or Emperor's New Groove for me.

It's not technically a Disney movie (maybe it is now because of the acquisition) but I have to check out Titan AE too. I remember that one didn't fare too well either at the box office.

There's a pretty great documentary that was never officially released about how Emperor's New Groove came to be.

It was originally going to be called Kingdom of the Sun and was on the epic scale of those 90s Disney movies but eventually shifted to be the comedic film we know today. Roger Allers, director of Lion King, was the original director who's vision it was until he was fired which is all depicted in the documentary.

You and I both, or Emperor's New Groove for me.

It's not technically a Disney movie (maybe it is now because of the acquisition) but I have to check out Titan AE too. I remember that one didn't fare too well either at the box office.
That one I do remember seeing, not in theaters but I think I rented it from Blockbuster back in the day. It was meh. It's also notable for being Don Bluth's last movie (as of now). It's not technically Disney but they do own it since it was a Fox release, along with Bluth's previous movie Anastasia. Now THAT'S a movie that a lot of people mistake for a Disney release. It's also ironic that they own those Bluth films since he was their greatest competition in the '80s after he left the company. Up until The Little Mermaid, Bluth's films often outperformed Disney's.

There's a pretty great documentary that was never officially released about how Emperor's New Groove came to be.

It was originally going to be called Kingdom of the Sun and was on the epic scale of those 90s Disney movies but eventually shifted to be the comedic film we know today. Roger Allers, director of Lion King, was the original director who's vision it was until he was fired which is all depicted in the documentary.

Wow, I knew about the original title and how there were development setbacks but I had no idea there was a feature length documentary about it.

That one I do remember seeing, not in theaters but I think I rented it from Blockbuster back in the day. It was meh. It's also notable for being Don Bluth's last movie (as of now). It's not technically Disney but they do own it since it was a Fox release, along with Bluth's previous movie Anastasia. Now THAT'S a movie that a lot of people mistake for a Disney release. It's also ironic that they own those Bluth films since he was their greatest competition in the '80s after he left the company. Up until The Little Mermaid, Bluth's films often outperformed Disney's.

Bluth kicked Disney's ass in the 80s. Certainly from a quality standpoint. The Great Mouse Detective was fun but Secret of NIMH, An American Tale, and The Land Before Time were the big newly released animated films for me growing up (well those three and The Last Unicorn from Rankin-Bass). All Dogs Go to Heaven was good too, but ran into the buzzsaw that was The Little Mermaid as they were released at the same time. Bluth as also animation director on The Rescuers, the last big Disney hit prior to The Little Mermaid.

Then Rock-a-Doodle was garbage right at the time Disney was entering its biggest period since the 50s and Bluth never really recovered.

I'm that one person on the internet who doesn't see The Emperor's New Groove as an underrated gem. I agree with the others though. I like Hercules more than The Emperor's New Groove and I don't even like that film.

Bluth kicked Disney's ass in the 80s. Certainly from a quality standpoint. The Great Mouse Detective was fun but Secret of NIMH, An American Tale, and The Land Before Time were the big newly released animated films for me growing up (well those three and The Last Unicorn from Rankin-Bass). All Dogs Go to Heaven was good too, but ran into the buzzsaw that was The Little Mermaid as they were released at the same time. Bluth as also animation director on The Rescuers, the last big Disney hit prior to The Little Mermaid.

Then Rock-a-Doodle was garbage right at the time Disney was entering its biggest period since the 50s and Bluth never really recovered.
I was born in 1988 so I grew up with the Disney Renaissance films but The Land Before Time, An American Tail and All Dogs Go To Heaven were right there in the rotation with them. I liked All Dogs but it's a strange one. The Land Before Time is a classic but all those DTV sequels made my head spin even as a kid, there were so many of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"