Lines and scenes from the Saga that mirror/contrast each other

Bim

Superhero
Reaction score
First of all, thank you mods for this new forum! :woot:

I thought it would be fun to point out the lines and scenes from different movies that mirror or contrast with each other.

I'll start off with a few:

ROTS
YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those who transform into the force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not.
Then later
SIDIOUS: The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.

Sidious tells Anakin what he wants to hear, working his fear to his advantage and making the unnatural natural, while Yoda points out the inevitability of death, hoping that Anakin accepts the naturality of it. Also, it's interesting that Palpatine claims Dooku's death as natural because Anakin wanted revenge.

ROTS
Palpatine (to Anakin): Anakin help me! help me! I...I can't hold on any longer.
ROTJ
Luke (to Anakin): Father, please! Help me.
Decades later, Anakin/Vader finds himself in the same situation, making yet another difficult choice... with the pressure of sith lightning lol.

AOTC
ANAKIN: It's not fair!
ANH
LUKE: It just isn't fair. Oh, Biggs is right. I'm never gonna get out of here!
Both feel like they're held back.

ROTS
OBI-WAN: It's over, Anakin. I have the high ground.
ANAKIN: You underestimate my power!
OBI-WAN: Don't try it.

ROTJ
LUKE: You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before, and I don't believe you'll destroy me now.
VADER: You underestimate the power of the dark side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny.

Funny, both Obi-Wan and Luke are on higher ground. I also think there's a contrast when it comes to Anakin's self confidence. In ROTS we see him completely sure of himself and his own power, but by ROTJ he relies on the power of the darkside of the Force, not his own. Or even the Force in general if u take into account this line in ANH:
VADER: He is here...
TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?
VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.
TARKIN: Surely he must be dead by now.
VADER: Don't underestimate the power of the Force.
TARKIN: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

RotS
Obi Wan Kenobi: Hello there!

ANH
Ben Kenobi: Hello there!

:hehe:

Oh you :hehe:

Ok i have another one for you:

ROTS
PADME: Anakin, all I want is your love.
ANAKIN: Love won't save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.
PADME: At what cost? You are a good person. Don't do this.
ANAKIN: I won't lose you the way I lost my mother! I've become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of and I've done it for you. To protect you.
PADME: Come away with me. Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can.
ANAKIN: Don't you see, we don't have to run away anymore. I have brought peace to the Republic. I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him, and together you and I can rule the galaxy. Make things the way we want them to be.
PADME: I don't believe what I'm hearing . . . Obi-Wan was right. You've changed.
ANAKIN: I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me.
PADME: I don't know you anymore. Anakin, you're breaking my heart. You are going down a path I can't follow.
ANAKIN: Because of Obi-Wan?
PADME: Because of what you've done . . . what you plan to do. Stop, stop now. Come back! I love you.

ROTJ:
VADER: The emperor has been expecting you.
LUKE: I know, Father.
VADER : So, you have accepted the truth.
LUKE: I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.
VADER: That name no longer has any meaning for me.
LUKE: It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That was why you couldn't destroy me. They is why you won't bring me to your emperor.
VADER: I see you have construct a new lightsaber. Your skill are complete. Indeed, you are powerful, as the emperor has foreseen.
LUKE: Come with me.
VADER: Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master.
LUKE: I will not turn, and you'll be forced to kill me.
VADER: If that is your destiny.
LUKE: Search your feelings, Father. You can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of you hate.
VADER: It is too late for me, son. The emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.
LUKE: Then my father is truly dead.

Both Padme and Luke try to appeal to Anakin, who seems to be hung up on power. Mother and son see the good in Anakin/Vader and both try to get him to go with them. Padme knows she cant go along with what Anakin suggests, and Luke is similar: he warns Vader he wont turn.

While that last one I don't really see much of a parallel aside from the most basic (character tries to "turn him back"), ironically it displays both the retcon VI did with V (Vader isn't rebellious against Sidious suddenly), as well as another way in which the OT seems to tell a different backstory from the one in the pequels: here's "Obi-Wan once thought as you do", but then in ROTS he hardly gets to express what he thinks about overcoming the dark side... it's more about how Anakin's a bigger *****ebag than Othello, pseudo-idealistic delusions about benevolently running an empire, democracy, and the purported Jedi conspiracy (Anakin wasn't seduced by the dark side... he was tricked into becoming evil!), but never about how "you can still turn back".

Aside from the whole "highground" thing's obvious silliness, liked the 1st post though - might even be that I hadn't noticed the natural/unnatural bit before ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"