Long Term Influences Of Films To Comic Book Characters

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
I was noticing that there seems to be a lot of influence with WW in fan art and comics that evoke or outright recreate the Gadot costume. Only time will tell but I think it's possible that the BVS suit could stand the test for the long haul and become integrated into the character's other appearances in TV, games, animation and comics. This happens a lot. Something is developed for a comic book super hero character outside of the comics themselves and suddenly that aspect gets almost baked into the character for the foreseeable future. I think that going forward no matter when he retires from the role that RDJ's influence on the character of Iron Man is going to be huge and whether in future shows, toons or in the comics that Tony Stark will be written in some way to evoke the RDJ performance. Much like how Superman didn't properly "fly' until the Fleisher toons or get exposed to Kryptonite first on the character's radio program and those things simply got absorbed into the mythos.

So... What sort of things from the current age of superheroes, across media, do you think will be integrated into these long standing characters for a long time to come, especially in terms of character or aesthetics? Will a future TV version of WW still rock something close to Gadot's suit? Will your children identify Iron Man with rapier wit? Discuss...

This reminds me of how the look of Michael Keaton influenced artists like Kia Asamiya and the artist of JLA 50 (I forgot who did the art in that issue), and the look of Christopher Reeve influenced how Gary Frank drew Superman and Jon Sibal inked him.

It's hard to imagine much influence from the DCEU will stick with comics, but Diana's costume is great and I'd like to see it stick.
I think that going forward no matter when he retires from the role that RDJ's influence on the character of Iron Man is going to be huge and whether in future shows, toons or in the comics that Tony Stark will be written in some way to evoke the RDJ performance.
Been happening for years, and I don't mind infusing it in cartoons, but it's annoying in comics.

Deadshot wil eventually become black in the comics, and Harley's look has already changed somewhat.

It's interesting for the DCEU because the comics are changing and influencing the movies. Superman's pants, Black Iris West, Cyborg as a founding member of the Justice League are very recent changes that affected the movies.

The new Suicide Squad's lineup is the same as the movie. No Slipknot yet though.

Batman now glides a lot more. Thanks Nolan.

(Yes. I know Batman always did so. But it was usually with an outside apparatus/attachment. Nolan brought it to his very cape).

Superman the movie (a lot of which was picked up by John Byrne in his
reboot of Superman in 1986)

- influenced the look of Kryptonian crystal technology and the fortress of solitude.

- eliminated Superboy from main continuity

- Lois Lane coins the name, Superman.

In a similar way, Man of Steel has had some minor influences on the character.

- the Super-suit is a kryptonian garment

- the more recent look of General Zod and Faora

I think for sure going forward that Zod and Faora will be done in the MOS style. I think the Kryptonian armor may also make it into the wider Superman mythology, at least in terms of Kryptonian based villains.

Honestly... I kinda think there's a possibility that we see Perry White being an African American man sooner than later, given the limited amount of well known Superman supporting characters that are not white.

I am starting to wonder as well if the MCU will change the idea of secret identities for Marvel heroes. Given the way the characters are on the big screen I won't be surprised if in the future Spidey styled alter ego issues are a rarity and most everyone operates in some way in the open "mask-less" as it were?

Honestly... I kinda think there's a possibility that we see Perry White being an African American man sooner than later, given the limited amount of well known Superman supporting characters that are not white.
It fits, seeing that aside from this fictional character I see the surname 'White' attached to African Americans more.

Lucius Fox is starting to become a tech provider for Batman in the comics, and the Arkham video games. I think the Gotham TV series, too, is making Fox tech savvy.

Last edited:
I would say the biggest impact is in terms of diversity, not just within the pages of the comics but in the target audience. Though I grew up at a time when comics were for kids, for far too long comics were content to hang onto their main audience of thirty something white males. The broader audiences watching movies and TV has shown there is an audience for comics out there that has been ignored and kudos to recent attempts to broaden the comic book market.

Batman-Arkham-Origins-Joker-Cosplay-Wig-Version-01024.jpg

Joker's smile has been getting longer and longer on the sides since Heath Ledger.

^ I've seen a few artists do that since TDK;

baz7_zps8de83d87.jpg

The current comic Guardians of the Galaxy, both in membership and design, probably owe more to their movie's popularity than any other comic book characters. The original GotG series featured a very different team and the new GotG series, which was closer in look and feel to the GotG film, only lasted 2 years. Now they have a popular title, spin-offs for individual characters, and an animated series.

The current comic Guardians of the Galaxy, both in membership and design, probably owe more to their movie's popularity than any other comic book characters. The original GotG series featured a very different team and the new GotG series, which was closer in look and feel to the GotG film, only lasted 2 years. Now they have a popular title, spin-offs for individual characters, and an animated series.

Now that is spot on. GOTG were B-list Marvel characters at best (I mean, come on, a talking raccoon ?) but one superb film later and everyone knows about " We are Groot" - a pretty impressive feat for a single film.

OTOH, that one is a bit of a two way street, since while the movie has determined the current roster and nature of Starlord, the movie in turn was heavily based on that exact DnA cosmic run.

OTOH, that one is a bit of a two way street, since while the movie has determined the current roster and nature of Starlord, the movie in turn was heavily based on that exact DnA cosmic run.

I don't doubt it at all, I'm sure you're right about that - I guess my point was that until GOTG nobody (other than comic book fans) paid much attention to them. I mean, back in the 80's I read X-Men pretty regularly and while I had a rough idea who the GOTG were ( wasn't Starhawk a member ? And Vance Astro ? ) I didn't care.

The movie piqued my interest and a lot of peoples', I would imagine. :)

I think the Raimi Spidey films influenced more artists to depict his eyes as actually being whole goggles/lenses with damage to them here and there.

The Supergirl TV show has already influenced how Supergirl looks in the comic books.
Compare the New 52 Supergirl to the Rebirth Supergirl.

The Blade movie pretty much reinvented him from the ground up, from jive talking English vamp hunter to the leather clad badass.

The first X-Men movie influenced writers to expand Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters into a fully fledged school for mutants. They also put them in black leather, though the leather didn't stick.

The MCU also influenced Marvel to edge out old school Fury in favor of bringing black Fury into the 616.

It's been going on forever. The Fleischer cartoons introduced flight to Superman. The radio show gave us Kryptonite. The more popular versions and abilities eventually win out in all the media forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"