Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Embracer Group Acquires ‘Lord Of The Rings’ And ‘Hobbit’ IP Rights – Deadline

Swedish video game company Embracer Group has acquired Middle-earth Enterprises, a division of The Saul Zaentz Company, which owns the intellectual property catalogue and worldwide rights to The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. But the deal means Embracer Group will pick up the motion picture, video game, board game, merchandising, theme parks and stage production rights relating to The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises as well as matching rights in other Middle-earth-related literary works authorized by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, which have yet to be explored.

I have no idea what this means for anything...different rights to these properties seem to be all over the place.

The new Khazad-dûm track (while not as good and the OG) is incredible.

Sounds good to me. I’m liking most aspects of this production at this stage. Please be good!

0403feccf3816081f6c651cc2861a07b63c98aad.gifv

I dunno if it was confirmed or not but I can see them showing how the elves created the orcs.

Good soundtrack. Obviously can't quite compare to Shore's masterwork but it's about as good and extensive a TV original score as I have heard in a while. McCreary really went for it and took some risks, too.

I dunno if it was confirmed or not but I can see them showing how the elves created the orcs.

They didn't create orcs.

Tolkien wrote:

"thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes".

It's also said that captured elves were put in prison in Utumno (Melkor's abode), and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved. It's not clear that orcs were actually corrupted elves and there are reasons to think they are not, but it's also said that Melkor could not create. My personal belief is that Tolkien himself might never have fully resolved this issue. I think orcs are probably the result of some weird breeding program along the lines of what maybe Saruman did in the 3rd Age to create the orc breed Uruk-hai.

Its blink and you'll miss it but the Harfoot child is shown in that last video somehow in the impact crater face to face with Sauron. :dry: Now I'm worried the kid is going to make friends with Sauron and he'll spend time with the hobbits.

I hope we get a song or two in dwarvish. I know that lady dwarf is supposed to sing or something, I hope it has some dwarvish.

Its blink and you'll miss it but the Harfoot child is shown in that last video somehow in the impact crater face to face with Sauron. :dry: Now I'm worried the kid is going to make friends with Sauron and he'll spend time with the hobbits.

That's not Sauron.

I hope we get a song or two in dwarvish. I know that lady dwarf is supposed to sing or something, I hope it has some dwarvish.

Yes, there are a couple tracks with dwarvish, including the song you mention. Both are good.

Im quite impressed with the Score. Yeah its different but I welcome freshness and you can't go wrong with that. I was walking home from work last night listening to some of the tracks and was utterly moved by them. Shore may be involved in some capacity but this is all Bear. I loved his scores especially Battlestar Galactica.

I thought Sauron was the being that falls like a meteor and hits Middle Earth. If it's not him who is it?

Based on his theme I'd guess The Stranger a.k.a. Meteor Man is something that rhymes with Atari. I think there is an outside possibility he is Sauron but most of the current information is not leaning that way and people who have seen some of the show don't seem to think it's him.

From what I have gathered I don't know that we have seen Sauron in any of the promotional material yet. But we may have seen a pre-fall Nazgul.

Im quite impressed with the Score. Yeah its different but I welcome freshness and you can't go wrong with that. I was walking home from work last night listening to some of the tracks and was utterly moved by them. Shore may be involved in some capacity but this is all Bear. I loved his scores especially Battlestar Galactica.

Yeah. On my second listen and this thing is really hitting. The "Galadriel" theme works really well as a main theme that Bear does a lot of different things with. The dark tracks are suitably intense. The Numenor theme has a unique vibe that I think still works in context and, man, those crescendo moments are brilliant.

The score has a great progression to it. Most TV soundtracks are a couple themes that get used a lot (often just one theme) and then a lot of interstitial stuff or rando mood pieces. This score really is constructed like an epic tapestry that weaves together and builds and culminates into the whole vision.

I am right with you on Bear and the BSG soundtrack but this Rings of Power score is a whole other level of ambition from most TV show soundtracks. You can tell how hard Bear worked and that he had 13 months to work on it. While similar in methodical approach, Bear's score is very different from the one that Shore did for LotR... but I like what Bear said in the Variety interview: Shore's score is filled with melancholy and history, whereas Bear tried to make a score living in the now of the 2nd Age where dwarven, elven, and human civilizations are all at a sort of peak.

It's not as good as Shore's score, obviously... but, I mean, what is?

Last edited:
I thought Sauron was the being that falls like a meteor and hits Middle Earth. If it's not him who is it?
Sigmund Freud once said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". I haven't paid a lot of attention to much of this because I don't like potential spoilers; mainly from the producers of the show because I think people (including the "experts" and "professors" are often full of IT. Do we even know that the meteor is, in fact, even a person? Couldn't it be something that portends the coming of evil or something along those lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"