Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Do epics get any better ?

I wish the studio had done something for the big anniversary.

Maybe for the 20th anniversary of the release of Return of the King...

Twenty years ago today, a little movie was released that changed cinema forever.

81EBp0vOZZL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Happy Birthday to cinematic genius. :hrt:

I wish the studio had done something for the big anniversary.

Maybe for the 20th anniversary of the release of Return of the King...
The big 4K Blu-ray box set was what they did for the 20th anniversary. I guess it's better than nothing.

Just reading the Silmarillion for the first time and while it's a tough read I am enjoying it.

It's also making me want to watch the movies again but I want to wait at the same time to watch them in 4K whenever I get the set.

Twenty years ago today, a little movie was released that changed cinema forever.

81EBp0vOZZL._AC_SY741_.jpg

But see, I have to ask: did it really? Like, the LOTR trilogy were a creative and commercial smash hit, they *should* have changed the industry. However, what were the lasting impacts? There was some uptick in fantasy movies, but they were pretty desultory and it faded out fairly quickly ( at least insofar as movies which weren't primarily drawing from the *other* huge fantasy hit, Harry Potter ).

Its not like with, say, the Matrix ( which still influences how action scenes are shot to this day ), or Spider-man ( which made superhero movies "hot" and led to a ton of movies trying to be the next big superhero blockbuster, all the way until the MCU took over that trend ), or Star Wars ( which basically created the blockbuster as a concept, set a defining benchmark for sci-fi movies that people still use to this day, and innovated SFX tech ). Which makes me kind of sad. I wonder what we might have missed out because Hollywood decided it really didn't want to follow up on LOTR.

Well there are many, many ways it did, and many imitators (not just in the fantasy genre) but the biggest is the creation of Gollum alone changed the entire landscape of motion capture. From Avatar to the new Planet of the Apes trilogy, Avengers to Pirates of the Caribbean all were influenced by that breakthrough.

In terms of fantasy genre being a trend though, LOTR back then was an unprecedented huge risk because of the scope. And even after they were huge successes, epic fantasy with multiple movies isn't as simple to replicate as other movies, before television would catch up and be a more appropriate place to execute them. It would require a certain budget and director to execute them. Plus, LOTR is the mother of all fantasy epics. They staked their claim. Anything else is just kind of derivative of LOTR like Wheel of Time and such.

It was just lightening in a bottle. GOT was the next big thing after LOTR, but we all know how that turned out.

But see, I have to ask: did it really? Like, the LOTR trilogy were a creative and commercial smash hit, they *should* have changed the industry. However, what were the lasting impacts? There was some uptick in fantasy movies, but they were pretty desultory and it faded out fairly quickly ( at least insofar as movies which weren't primarily drawing from the *other* huge fantasy hit, Harry Potter ).

Its not like with, say, the Matrix ( which still influences how action scenes are shot to this day ), or Spider-man ( which made superhero movies "hot" and led to a ton of movies trying to be the next big superhero blockbuster, all the way until the MCU took over that trend ), or Star Wars ( which basically created the blockbuster as a concept, set a defining benchmark for sci-fi movies that people still use to this day, and innovated SFX tech ). Which makes me kind of sad. I wonder what we might have missed out because Hollywood decided it really didn't want to follow up on LOTR.

Well there are many, many ways it did, and many imitators (not just in the fantasy genre) but the biggest is the creation of Gollum alone changed the entire landscape of motion capture. From Avatar to the new Planet of the Apes trilogy, Avengers to Pirates of the Caribbean all were influenced by that breakthrough.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The way that Lord of the Rings revolutionized CGI was even more impressive than the Star Wars prequel trilogy in the same era. James Cameron has even gone on record saying that once he saw what Weta had done with Gollum in LOTR, that was the point where he knew he could finally get Avatar off the ground.

Was watching this scene on Youtube, and for me it's always been one of the most moving moments in film history. It honestly chokes me up whenever I watch it, because you realize this huge journey you've been on with these characters has come to an end. There will never be another Lord Of The Rings.

Exactly right.

Honestly, I just watched the Hobbit films back-to-back-to-back not too long ago, and it feels more like Thorin's trilogy when all is said and done. But then you also have a good amount of time and attention given to Gandalf. And the nightmarish Kili/Tauriel/Legolas love triangle. And the Bard Family. And ****ing Alfrid.

For someone who just wanted to watch Bilbo go off on his adventure with an overwhelming group of dwarves and an appearance by Gandalf here and there, it was all too much for me. And that's not even getting into the excessive CGI and over-the-top action sequences and goofy character designs and unpleasant digital aesthetic.

They're overwrought. And they lose the rustic, immersive quality of the LOTR trilogy. The cutting edge and CG visuals were there but they enhanced the story and didn't overtake it.

I would say the Star Wars prequels are off-putting for similar reasons. Peter Jackson repeated George Lucas' mistakes.

LOTR is the greatest movie trilogy of all time. I know people will always claim Star Wars is the best, and I do love the original SW trilogy, but LOTR is much more consistent because it was based on a finished story. Lucas wrote SW as he went along, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing but when you go back and watch certain things you can tell that he didn’t have it all planned out ahead of time (the most glaring thing being that Luke clearly has a thing for Leia in ANH and then later on the series claims he “always knew” she was his sister… umm what?).

Anyway though, LOTR still holds up, even 20 years later. The films still look amazing and the performances are all fantastic. Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, Galadriel, etc. are characters that will live on forever. And while some fans of the books might lament certain things being changed or excluded, I would argue that LOTR is still one of the most faithful adaptations out there and the changes that Jackson did make (most of them at least) helped to make the story more accessible. For example, Aragorn in the book embraces his destiny as Isildur’s heir pretty much when we first meet him. It works, but injecting a bit of self-doubt and fear over his ancestor’s weakness, IMO, makes the movie version of Aragorn even more relatable and sympathetic. He’s still a badass and a born leader but by adding this other side to him, he becomes an even deeper hero to root for.

The Amazon series has big shoes to fill. But I hope they pull it off! After being overloaded with Star Wars and superhero content over the past couple decades, I’m really excited to finally be returning to Middle-earth. Which hasn’t happened since ROTK. I know people said there were three Hobbit movies that came out at some point but I don’t believe those movies actually exist. :o

In the battle of the trilogies, Lord of the Rings > Star wars for me too.

I love those original SW films but Return of the Jedi is a noticable step down in many respects. Lucas was clearly burnt out by then, made some weird choices, and the Luke/Vader stuff carries the film. Han and Leia are after-thoughts and seem pretty checked-out. Still like it a lot, however some of the magic was gone.

I would say the Star Wars prequels are off-putting for similar reasons. Peter Jackson repeated George Lucas' mistakes.

They are a little similar to watch yet the circumstances behind those prequels couldn't be more different. Lucas had free reign to make those films and let the technology suffocate the production. Jackson actually had a great deal less freedom after the success of LOTR, was basically strong-armed into directing the Hobbit, more intensely micro-managed, and forced to do them with barely any preparation.

For their faults, the performances in the Hobbit movies are still great for the most part. I credit Jackson for doing a pretty good job considering the circumstances. Unlike the SW prequels, there is a really good film left-over when you trim the fat. I have a 4 hour cut that I watch alongside the extended trilogy and it is a joy to experience.

Not a fan of lotr but some battle scenes are still better then most of mordern day films. Some cgi is dated.

LOTR is the greatest movie trilogy of all time. I know people will always claim Star Wars is the best, and I do love the original SW trilogy, but LOTR is much more consistent because it was based on a finished story. Lucas wrote SW as he went along, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing but when you go back and watch certain things you can tell that he didn’t have it all planned out ahead of time (the most glaring thing being that Luke clearly has a thing for Leia in ANH and then later on the series claims he “always knew” she was his sister… umm what?).

Anyway though, LOTR still holds up, even 20 years later. The films still look amazing and the performances are all fantastic. Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, Galadriel, etc. are characters that will live on forever. And while some fans of the books might lament certain things being changed or excluded, I would argue that LOTR is still one of the most faithful adaptations out there and the changes that Jackson did make (most of them at least) helped to make the story more accessible. For example, Aragorn in the book embraces his destiny as Isildur’s heir pretty much when we first meet him. It works, but injecting a bit of self-doubt and fear over his ancestor’s weakness, IMO, makes the movie version of Aragorn even more relatable and sympathetic. He’s still a badass and a born leader but by adding this other side to him, he becomes an even deeper hero to root for.

The Amazon series has big shoes to fill. But I hope they pull it off! After being overloaded with Star Wars and superhero content over the past couple decades, I’m really excited to finally be returning to Middle-earth. Which hasn’t happened since ROTK. I know people said there were three Hobbit movies that came out at some point but I don’t believe those movies actually exist. :o

I think consistency is the key word. I won't begrudge the OT for not being all planned to the T, what was most important is that there was a thematic consistency from Lucas. The issue is that ROTJ isn't as good as the last two. All three LOTR films are classics.

I saw ROTK in 35 mm a couple weeks ago. It was wonderful. Jackson puts most current big budget films to shame. I got there when people were walking out of TTT, and some kids who weren't even born when these movies came out wanted to stay for ROTK. These films' endurance was never in question, but it's just nice to see.

I think consistency is the key word. I won't begrudge the OT for not being all planned to the T, what was most important is that there was a thematic consistency from Lucas. The issue is that ROTJ isn't as good as the last two. All three LOTR films are classics.

I saw ROTK in 35 mm a couple weeks ago. It was wonderful. Jackson puts most current big budget films to shame. I got there when people were walking out of TTT, and some kids who weren't even born when these movies came out wanted to stay for ROTK. These films' endurance was never in question, but it's just nice to see.

Yep. Totally agree. I love ROTJ, but as Hurley once so eloquently explained, “Ewoks suck, dude.” It’s so close to being up to par with the other films in the trilogy, but setting most of the film on a Care Bear planet just to sell toys knocks it down significantly. With LOTR, there’s no such dropoff in quality. For example, while I would agree with the notion that Helm’s Deep is a better overall battle sequence than the battles at Pellenor Fields and the Black Gate, ROTK is still on par with TTT and FOTR in other ways like Shelob, Sam’s big heroic moment, and the coronation scene. It’s just great consistency throughout.

Okay I agree with everything you said about LOTR.

I mean, I am old enough to remember seeing all 3 OT Star Wars films in the cinema when they first came out. To say that it was a thrilling and formative experience from my childhood is to undersell it. It was pure magic. I had that same kind of thrill seeing Indiana Jones and ET and Superman in 1978.

As an adult I have experienced a similar level of joy at seeing a film only a few times: first Matrix film, The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1 and .... the LOTR films.

Personally, nothing beats the LOTR trilogy - great source material, treated lovingly but not slavishly.

As for the Hobbit films....well I have to say that they exist, and I can 100% confirm that because I'm in the first one as a extra, for about 7 seconds.

If you look centre shot at 3:31 of that clip, thats me walking across the battlefield with a shield and a axe. Andy Serkis was the 2nd unit director, in charge of that sequence, and was incredibly nice.

Sadly, they stretch out a childrens book into a bloated and often farcical mess of a trilogy - I agree, best forgotten. The one good thing i can say is that they did create a lot of jobs and stimulated our local economy significantly.

Okay I agree with everything you said about LOTR.

I mean, I am old enough to remember seeing all 3 OT Star Wars films in the cinema when they first came out. To say that it was a thrilling and formative experience from my childhood is to undersell it. It was pure magic. I had that same kind of thrill seeing Indiana Jones and ET and Superman in 1978.

As an adult I have experienced a similar level of joy at seeing a film only a few times: first Matrix film, The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1 and .... the LOTR films.

Personally, nothing beats the LOTR trilogy - great source material, treated lovingly but not slavishly.

As for the Hobbit films....well I have to say that they exist, and I can 100% confirm that because I'm in the first one as a extra, for about 7 seconds.

If you look centre shot at 3:31 of that clip, thats me walking across the battlefield with a shield and a axe. Andy Serkis was the 2nd unit director, in charge of that sequence, and was incredibly nice.

Sadly, they stretch out a childrens book into a bloated and often farcical mess of a trilogy - I agree, best forgotten. The one good thing i can say is that they did create a lot of jobs and stimulated our local economy significantly.

Whoa that’s awesome dude! I have to admit that if I had appeared in any of those Hobbit movies, I would probably have an affection for them as well. So that is really cool. But yeah, if they had kept the story contained to one movie, it probably would have been good. But stretching it out and adding a bunch of unnecessary stuff turned it into a bloated disaster.

Anyway though, still very cool that you appeared in the movie and that it did a lot for New Zealand’s economy.

I liked a few of the visual cues from the Bakshi LOTR, namely the ones that Peter Jackson paid homage to and did much better later on like the hobbits hiding from the Ringwraith on the road. I also thought John Hurt have a solid voice performance as Aragorn.

But yeah, beyond that I prefer the Rankin-Bass Middle Earth animated movies.

Whoa that’s awesome dude! I have to admit that if I had appeared in any of those Hobbit movies, I would probably have an affection for them as well. So that is really cool. But yeah, if they had kept the story contained to one movie, it probably would have been good. But stretching it out and adding a bunch of unnecessary stuff turned it into a bloated disaster.

Anyway though, still very cool that you appeared in the movie and that it did a lot for New Zealand’s economy.

Thanks man, I drop that little fact in whenever and wherever I can. Give it time and Ill work it into a conversation somehow - probably my only real claim to ( very brief) fame.

The Hobbit films were such a let down.
I mean the first film was so mediocre that I only bought a copy of it 2 years ago- despite being in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"