What will be done with Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage now that their Netflix shows are canceled?

Finn Jones is definitely not loved in his role. And Colter is boring and bland. Not the streetwise hero with attitude from comics. I would prefer both of them be recast.

Lance Gross
View attachment 17743

And Jack Lowden
View attachment 17747
Movie calibre actors who can actually go toe to toe with the MCU veteran actors.

If anybody needs to be recast, it's these two.

LOL, yeah I guess if being in a Tyler Perry movie with a 15% RT score and some other film called Deuces that no one saw makes you a "movie calibre actor." I'll stick with Colter, thanks.

Posted this in an other thread but Chairman of Walt Disney direct-to-consumer and International says there’s a possibility the Netflix shows can still be revived.

Would you consider reviving the Marvel showsthat Netflix canceled?

“They are very high-quality shows. We haven't yet discussed that, but  I would say that's a possibility.”

Posted this in an other thread but Chairman of Walt Disney direct-to-consumer and International says there’s a possibility the Netflix shows can still be revived.

Would you consider reviving the Marvel showsthat Netflix canceled?

“They are very high-quality shows. We haven't yet discussed that, but  I would say that's a possibility.”
The answer will most likely be no considering cost and demographics. If Disney+ is going to have mature content I would say they are a shoe in, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Nice to know he recognizes the value of the shows and at least open to the ideas. Hope they can have that conversation soon.

It's a meaningless and empty statement at this point.

LOL, yeah I guess if being in a Tyler Perry movie with a 15% RT score and some other film called Deuces that no one saw makes you a "movie calibre actor." I'll stick with Colter, thanks.

Lance Gross was actually very close to getting the role of Luke Cage (Marvel’s ‘Jessica Jones’: Krysten Ritter, Alexandra Daddario, Teresa Palmer, Marin Ireland, Jessica De Gouw Testing For Lead) and frankly would've done far better for a TV/Netflix Cage than Mike Colter. His general persona is far more fitting for the character and frankly, he brings the "urban" feel and charisma that Cage needed. He did pretty good in the football drama "The Last Fall".

Meanwhile Mike Colter was totally miscast for the role. On top of his wooden acting abilities, there's this gem:

Mike Colter Describes His Initial Concern With Playing Luke Cage - MCUExchange

“I was so against it,I revisit the feeling I had, that first initial look at the character, trying to figure out the research and the character, who this is guy this, and I’m like, ‘I don’t want any part of this.’ I couldn’t think of anything that I didn’t want to do more. I didn’t want to do anything physical, a role where it relied on power and all the stuff like that. And also, I didn’t know how the character would be written, I didn’t know what this character was going to be like. It just seemed limiting. I just thought, ‘What could I do with this?’ I hadn’t seen any material yet. The idea of the character made me cringe.”

“Everybody has an idea of how the character is going to be, and I’m like, this is how I’m going to do it and this is it, take it or leave it. I’m not saying that’s what I said, but I felt like if they were to try and push me in a certain way, that I would’ve walked away from it. There was only one way that I thought this character should be portrayed that I wasn’t going to compromise on.”

Not only did he actively dislike the source material, but he was actively against a physically heavy role. Why even play a character called POWER MAN if you don't want to have a power-reliant role? It's no surprise that Luke Cage's show was so rocky and the character was portrayed in such a corny, preachy and utterly boring light. I mean, they stripped everything that made Cage memorable (growing up on the streets, being from Harlem, etc) and the show had really no thematic consistency. Think about Colter's portrayal of Luke in any of the shows (whether it be his own show, Jessica Jones or the Defenders) and how it's often described (like a "teddy-bear", corny, often noted as the least interesting part of his own show, etc). That's like pretty much THE exact opposite of comics Cage, who should be street smart and cool and with a dynamic notable personality.

On top of that, look at the fight scenes. It's all just Luke slapping people. That has to have been a trickle down from Colter being cast in the role and not wanting to do fight scenes.

I would've taken Lance Gross as Cage (at least for a TV adaptation) any day of the week over Colter. My ultimate hope is Fiege just reboots entirely and we get a Power Man and Iron Fist buddy cop style movie in the vein of Rush Hour and with the hip feeling of Black Panther. Just an all out love letter to the old PMIF comics with modern sensibilities and actual comic accurate portrayals. Putting Luke and Danny on grimdark shows was a mistake to begin with.

Agreed on those two not being cast all that well, i don't know anything about those two actors though

but if there's any chance of retaining Charlie Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio, Krysten Ritter or Jon Bernthal, they should absolutely take it
and if they do, keeping them but recasting LC and IF would be very weird and jarring

so if it's a choice between keeping all of them or recasting all of them, I'd rather they keep the current actors
I’d definitely keep Simone Missick too. Those 4 you mentioned are the cream of the crop. It’s really Danny Rand who is most in need of a recast.

I see nothing jarring about recasting Iron Fist but not Daredevil. The world got along fine when they recast Hulk but not Captain America.

I see nothing jarring about recasting Iron Fist but not Daredevil. The world got along fine when they recast Hulk but not Captain America.

That was pretty friggin' different, let's admit that
Norton never worked with Evans, and Incredible Hulk is the neglected red-headed stepchild of the MCU that they [mostly] pretend doesn't exist
Whereas Cox and Jones were in a series together, as their characters.... so not at all comparable

Plus, Jones and Mike Colter had good chemistry, and Iron Fist was good in Defenders and great in that one episode of Luke Cage... had they just gone the Heroes for Hire route and found the right showrunners, nobody would have an issue with Finn Jones' performance
Loeb and the TV dept. just had no idea what to do with the character, and the writing reflected that

That was pretty friggin' different, let's admit that
Norton never worked with Evans, and Incredible Hulk is the neglected red-headed stepchild of the MCU that they [mostly] pretend doesn't exist
Whereas Cox and Jones were in a series together, as their characters.... so not at all comparable

Plus, Jones and Mike Colter had good chemistry, and Iron Fist was good in Defenders and great in that one episode of Luke Cage... had they just gone the Heroes for Hire route and found the right showrunners, nobody would have an issue with Finn Jones' performance
Loeb and the TV dept. just had no idea what to do with the character, and the writing reflected that

Take Terrance Howard as Rhodey then. There certainly is precedent for it. I don’t think it would be an issue at all. That said, I agree that the majority of the fault is on the writers. The pacing of IF was god awful. While I do think Jones is clearly the least talented of the leads, he can be serviceable with good writing.

The Hawkeye/Ronin vs Yakuza fight scene in Toyko in Avengers: Endgame really made me wish we got Iron Fist or Heroes for Hire as a movie instead of terrible shows.

The movie studios would've handled everything properly, from the fight scenes, to costuming, to personality and lore. Even a Heroes for Hire movie with Luke and Danny with the movie type banter would be great and possibly a big franchise.

They really never should've been on gritty TV drama shows to begin with. You can't take what applies to Daredevil and turn Luke and Danny into dour, angsty characters and expect it to work.

I really hope after the Netflix rights expire, Fiege reboots them into the movies. He could really do Iron Fist and Kun-Lun justice like Wakanda, and then give us a good Heroes for Hire team-up movie ala Lethal Weapon and Rush Hour.

detail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"