Superman Returns Luthor and Land and Evil

bosef982

Superhero
Reaction score
Historically speaking, power has always equaled real estate. Look at some of the greatest conflicts of our time and then say that land is just land.

Land equals domain, domain equals the access to resources and/or the ability to conquer, manage, own, and more importantly -- govern. The key essential to any governing power, any governing entity is that you must have SOMETHING to govern. Without land, governments would not exist. Even the smallest tribes, nomadic they may be even, require a plot that is of purpose to direct and sustain themselves.

The Crusades, some of the bloodiest medieval conflicts, was essentially about land, or at least strategically.

The Prussian Wars were about the same.

The French/Indians Wars. American Revolutionary War, the continual 17th-19th century Indian/American wars, War with Mexico, The Spanish-American War all contained, or rested solely on, dynamics of land ownership. It is the reason that one saw such rampant imperialism between the 18th and 20th century. Land is a means to expanding power. Why? People need land. Unlike Superman, we cannot fly. Everything we do, from brushing our teeth to flying to the moon, is dependent to some degree on land. Land gives us water, gives us the minerals that create a toothbrush; land gives us special minerals that go into astro-fuel, it provides a landing strip.

Even World War I and II (especially II) contain strong elements of land ownership. Asia's role in the last 19th thru mid-20 centuries is one of land issues such as extraterritoriality (the ability of a foriegn nation to govern sects of land in another nation), minerals, spices, and waypoint stations.

Land is not just about real-estate. Sure, Lex may make jokes of it that way. But in reality, his use of "real estate" is in and on itself sarcastic and satirical. In the end, its about power. And not just your corny villain, "I want power!” Its much more dynamic then that.

As I said, land is not just land. Land is control and power. From the looks of it, Luthor will bridge an entire continent. Make an entire continent. Why? Because such an item -- now overriding into the US -- will make people dependent upon him. Its the idea that Superman would never condone, something he shies away from with his own powers -- to make people dependent. Here Luthor's using Kryptonian technology to make everyone dependent upon him, and in the process casually killing millions of people.

Luthor isn't evil? I can't think of anything more evil. We regard Hitler as one of the most evil men in the world because he broke through into Poland (land) and seized them, exterminating those he saw unfit in casual glory, as if it were a means to an end. Here you have Luthor, with the genius to CREATE the land, not take it over, but in the process wiping out much of the US Eastern coast in his bid for power as if they were only a means.

Entire peoples have been exterminated in the conquest for more land and thus, more power. The Native Americans. South American tribal cultures. Jews. Wanting land has lead to so many problems in this world? Look at the Middle East today? You want to know what that is? One gigantic real-estate venture gone sour.

Luthor is in many ways the end product of man’s most continual dilemma and flaw: the craving and lust for more power. It is only fitting that he should resort to man’s most common tool in accomplishing such an end.

Land.

And in that lay the simplicity of it all.

Good post, I concur. Actually, I just posted about this a few seconds ago in the trailer board.

Lex kills MILLIONS to create NK. Face it guys, it's evil.

Agnarr said:
Good post, I concur. Actually, I just posted about this a few seconds ago in the trailer board.

Lex kills MILLIONS to create NK. Face it guys, it's evil.

It is the utter definition of evil. For 1) it's for land. Land seems so pointless, yet we forget how monumentally important its influence has been in history. 2) he does it for his own selfish power gain.

well said. you are perfect.

I agree.

A great point Agnarr brought up as well:

Agnarr said:
WHOA I just realized something, should have been so obvious from my oceanography class.

The creation of new krypton is going to change the climate of the entire planet, whether luthor wants it to or not. :eek:

The creation of a continent will shift the gulf stream and trickle down EVERYWHERE. It would change the temperature of the seawater in the artic, antarctic, causing either a raise in temperature and drop in salinity or vice-versa. Either way, the climate is going to get a)colder b)warmer and there is NOTHING Lex would be able to do to stop it.

If this happened, he indeed could possibly cause the deaths of billions of people through starvation.

Lex is a psychopath. No empathy, no remorse.

Yeah, what evel villan doesn't want to rule the world, Lex is only being more realistic, he only wants to rule a continent.

I am liking the evil scheme, even if it is "another realestate scheme."

Brilliant post! Two thumbs way up! :up: :up:

Agreed. This "Why is Luthor going after land" stuff is absurd. Look at all his MAJOR power moves in the comic books a few years ago. Land. Technology. Political power. He seems to be aiming for most of those in SUPERMAN RETURNS. It's hardly just about having lots of land.

i'm betting he'll get away with the stuff he does in sr, and goes after the presidency in the sequel. what all has he done other than that in the comics. i kinda want to see intergang and cadmus, along with supervillians. the only villians i can see appearing besides lex are metallo, brainiac(in robot form) and maybe parasite. all of which can have a solid fight with supes.

bosef982 said:
Here Luthor's using Kryptonian technology to make everyone dependent upon him, and in the process casually killing millions of people.

Not millions....."Billions!"

bosef982 said:
Historically speaking...

If you have to work this hard to convince people of something, you are wasting you're time.

Oldguy said:
If you have to work this hard to convince people of something, you are wasting you're time.

Or, if I have to work this hard (and it wasn't, it only took like two minutes to write that post) to convince people of something, then obviously I must be dealing with a particular brand of people.

I think Lex wants to kill billions of people with New Krypton's help, only because then he will be the leader as he think.

I see Lex being next Hitler, why?

Because Lex also have the dangerous weapon, which can make Lex a new leader of people.

He wants to become the lord of the world with violеnce way.

Am I right? What you think?

I'm sorry guys, but as someone who wanted them to forget about Hackman's version and go with a more impressive post-crisis non rug-wearing evil b@stard I am not keen at all that so many of the Hackman elements are back in place again. key word there being again.
We've seen Lex go for a land scheme before, having him do it again smacks of a lack of imagination and does kinda make him a one note villian, no matter how its dressed up, and that isn't a good thing imo.

Wesyeed said:
you nitpicker

If wanting them to have Lex do something original is nitpicking then I'm guilty as charged ;) :)

Using Superman's own technology against Superman and the world is a tad different than before in my opinion. But okay, if you don't want to watch the movie, don't.

As I honestly don't believe all these reviews poping up, I wanted to post a theory I had.

Most people at the current time think Lex is making New Krypton as some kind of realestate swindle. But it brings up the question.

1. Why? He's already rich.

2. Again, why? There would be no need for money...

I think this is far bigger than a silly realestate deal. I think Lex's Fortress is rooted into the earth itself, and I personally think he has the ability to change anything he wants on earth.

For instance.

Japan pisses him off?

*puts crystal in a certain place*

*Huge ass spikey rocks shoot through the streets of Tokyo, killing hundreds and destroying hundreds of buildings.*

I don't think this has anything to do with land.

I think Lex is trying to take over the WORLD. He has the means to do it! If anyone goes against him he can simply destroy the very continent they originate from.

Basically, I think Lex may have the world swinging by his nuts.

bosef982 said:
Using Superman's own technology against Superman and the world is a tad different than before in my opinion. But okay, if you don't want to watch the movie, don't.

Way to twist my words bosef...

Believe it or not, it is actually possible to want to see a film even if you know beforehand there is something in it you may not particularly like or agree with.

Awesome post Bo:up: I'm refraining from commenting on Spacey's portrayal of Lex any further until i see more but what you have posted about plot and motivation makes perfect sense and is certainly a scheme worthy of Lex

My problem with Luthor going after land isn´t that it´s not evil enough or not greedy enough, it´s that in its broad aspects it repeats Luthor´s evil scheme from STM. Again, he´s gonna cause a major disaster and deaths to own a huge chunk of land.

My problem is that it's totally over-the-top and cartoonish. It's mustache-twirlingly evil on a monumental scale. It's one-dimensional.

Killing billions? That's like Hitler times 1000. Which is *not* a good thing.

I would have liked to see a little subtlety and restraint. Fat chance of that, apparently.

I thought Singer could of went down a different route with Luthor and the Kypton tech.

Luthor should develop Lexcorp from the tech while SUperman is gone. Then frame HIM when he gets back, and use the tech against him.

While I do like the 'New Krypton' idea, I'm just afraid of the fate of Luthor. I don't want him to go to jail.........again. That would be stupid.

Octoberist said:
I thought Singer could of went down a different route with Luthor and the Kypton tech.

Luthor should develop Lexcorp from the tech while SUperman is gone. Then frame HIM when he gets back, and use the tech against him.

See, that could have been cool. Then we would have had a corporate, scientist Lex like in TAS, which was still a natural evolution of the Hackman version.

Also... why do we see Lex breaking in to the fortress when he was already there in 2? Couldn't Singer have simply said he had pocketed a crystal from his previous visit.

gdw said:
Yeah, what evel villan doesn't want to rule the world,

Green Goblyn
Sandman
Magneto
Shadow King
Mr Sinister
Frightful Four
Ultron
Count Nefarious
King Pen
Sabretooth