• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

World Maguire or Garfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew's Tobey is a jerk but Tobey's isn't? Despite the fact that he just walked away from a guy being mugged and didn't even try calling the police or anything?

This is probably an example of the film not aging well, but he didn't have a cell phone. He'd have to find a phone booth, pay for it, call the police, remember where the guy was being mugged, hope they get their in time, and possibly have to go to court as a witness.

Sure, a hero should go through that effort, but that's the whole point of the "Spider-Man No More" story arc, he was selfishly giving up being a hero to improve his life.

Peter in TASM went out of his way to deprive someone out of an internship at OsCorp, told Connors that he came up with the Lizard formula, and his interactions with the car thief was painful to watch. There's a difference in being a wiseass and an ass, and shoving your crotch in someone's face crosses that line really far.

Andrew's Tobey is a jerk but Tobey's isn't? Despite the fact that he just walked away from a guy being mugged and didn't even try calling the police or anything?

Are you serious?

That was the point. Peter was living he life that was too good for him. We see him in the montage watch a bunch of cops and firetrucks drive by and he looks at it for a second then realizes "not my problem anymore" and eats his hot dog happily and walks away.
Then we see him watch the mugging, and it is obvious, PAINFULLY obvious it got to him. But he couldn't do anything, seeing as he was powerless, and it STILL wasn't him anymore. He was trying, selfishly yes, to erase that part of his life.

He finally realizes he needs to step in when he sees the burning building with the kid inside. That is when he realizes he can't just sit by and ignore these things, so he heroically goes in and saves the child, but learns someone else did die in the fire. That is what moves the movie forward into him realizing who he really is and who he must be.

Andrew's Peter is just un-relatable to me. I hate how short and rude he was with his Aunt and Uncle. He was basically fighting with them or disrespecting them in every scene. The scene where he comes home and Aunt May is trying to ask where he has been and he is all angsty "just go ta sleep Aun' May just go ta sleep." It was eye roll-enducing behavior and just came off as childish and irresponsible. He could have handled that way better. I can forgive bits of it, of course like him bringing his dad up (which was really cliche' dialogue to me), even though I think he got a bit out of line.

I also hate he gets his powers by being a nosy little prick. Stealing someone's identity, nosily taking a long look at the papers that doctor dropped, going through doors that say "Keep out" "Danger" etc. It was too much.

Then that whole dinner with Captain Stacy...both sides of theirs made sense. However, both of them handled it so horribly. I hated them both in that scene. Peter came off as arrogant and disrespectful and Stacy came off as a condescending ass.

It was really selfish of him to just expose his identity like that to Gwen when they barely just started...dating (?). I think that could have waited. At least Peter in Raimi's tried really damn hard to keep it back, even rejecting her at the end to keep her safe. But Gwen? "Nope here I am lol."

Oh and then Peter promising Stacy he will stay away from Gwen, which he lives up to for about 4 minutes of screen time before stating "broken promises are the best kind" or whatever. I'm sorry but he just sucks. They really should have kept it like the comic where Stacy asked him to keep Gwen safe, and then she ends up dying. That is way more tragic to me.
Now it's like "well, if you didn't go and break a dying man's promise...:dry:"

Andrew's Peter isn't all bad. He had his moments where he shined, but they were few and far between sadly. He is a great, great actor in other pictures though.

Peter wouldn't act like a jerk at dinner with Gwen's family the way Andrew does. Peter was always so nervous about his secret that he felt he couldn't share it even with people he believed he could trust. So the way Andrew reveals it to Gwen willy-nilly was completely against the character.

Exactly.

Tobey cried:

When his uncle died
When he told his Aunt the truth about being the responsible one, after having hid it a secret
Finding out that the man he thought was his Uncle's Killer..wasn't.
When the love of his life dumped him right out of the blue
When his best friend died

Agreed. I felt for him as well. All good reasons to cry.

At least Maguire's Parker wouldn't break a dying man's wish to get some poontang.
:lmao:

Even Norman Osborn said "Peter, don't tell Harry" before dying and wasn't even asking for a promise, and Peter kept it secret. :p What a stand up guy. :up:

It's just that, imo, Tobey is an ugly crier. He doesn't look good doing it"

Uhhhh how many people do you know that look good when they cry

Cause I've cried, and I've seen other people cry, and they look like a blubbering mess...they don't look good while crying. Lol

I think crying people are so sexy and attractive ooh lawdy they just make me clutch my pearls.

WIsPHS6.gif

Actually, getting his hide kicked so hard by two tough guys doesn't mean he was getting mugged
Maybe they wanted vengeance over that guy selling drugs to a kid, or other possibilities. Comic books have misunderstanding situations scattered here and there

In the 60's Peter wasn't confident. Even when he landed girls, he was constantly worrying over if they really loved him, if they were getting tired of him or were interested in someone else. He thought Betty was cheating on him with Ned Leeds, he thought Gwen was cheating with Flash. Peter was flippant and witty but that was to mask his insecurities and oftentimes was even his way of expressing his insecurities.

Tobey's Peter is confident. He certainly pursues MJ after the spider bite. He simply isn't pushy or boisterous the way Garfield is. And Peter in the comics wasn't that either.

Peter wouldn't act like a jerk at dinner with Gwen's family the way Andrew does. Peter was always so nervous about his secret that he felt he couldn't share it even with people he believed he could trust. So the way Andrew reveals it to Gwen willy-nilly was completely against the character.

Heh, I feel the reverse to u in so many ways!

I don't think ur first paragraph means that Peter was not confident in the 60s, it makes him human. We all go/grow thru these things. I've been with my woman for 5 years, but I love her so much sometimes I even have ugly thoughts like that. And I KNOW I had those feelings A LOT in my teens/20s. Just part of becoming an adult I think.

I was confident in every other aspect of my life funnily enough.

And the end of ur 1st paragraph (insecurities etc) really just (I feel) validates Andrew/Peters behaviour at Gwens home dinner. That's all it was, and it was played bluntly to the audience (as we know the truth) but Gwens Dad cannot see it that way. Coz he doesn't know. That's why it's essential for Gwen to know - She knows the secret and why he behaves strangely like that

Let's not forget in the 60s secret identities were a much bigger thing, which shifts a lot of things.

To me it's all about being relatable to the real world now - A teenage guy who's got some mad skills (who has been bullied forever) doesn't get pushy/boisterous/angry sometimes?

With mad hormones etc it's an extremely common thing. So is regretting the behaviour, which Peter does in abundance. He often does the exact wrong/arrogant thing at the exact wrong time.

I know this is all subjective blah blah but I do feel mad strong about this. If Peter is supposed to represent the Everyman, I just don't see ANYONE in the world similar to Tobey. U think ppl dressed like that in the 2000s???? U cannot get a sense of time/reality at all.

And u talk about perusing MJ, he watched her go thru how many men before he spoke to her? I actually think that Tobey/Peter sets a really bad example of how to live ur life honestly.

When I showed a lot of people who I work with, what Peter Parker/Spidey was like in the comics, the main thing they asked was - Why is he totally different in the movies?

I mean, even as simply as the way he talks!!!!??? Tobey doesn't talk. I've seen plenty of his films and I feel this is his style. Peter Parker blabs, a lot. Peter is very animated physically too. Tobey is like a tree. His Spider man was not Errol Flynn. It was a guy in an awesome suit.

Raimi's Spider-Man had much more to do with Donners Superman IMHO. I really couldn't see a proper influence from the comics aside from plot themes. There wasn't even any web shooters. Tobey/Peter often did that chest-shirt-Superman thing. Tobey-Peter was EXACTLY like 70s-80s Clark Kent. It's crazy obvious to me.

Thanks for listening to my blabbing by the way. I'm mad hyped to see the film this weekend, and my lady is really bored of me talking Spidey. Ur giving me a great opportunity to geek out on Spidey passion ;-)

:hubba

Wolvie

This is probably an example of the film not aging well, but he didn't have a cell phone. He'd have to find a phone booth, pay for it, call the police, remember where the guy was being mugged, hope they get their in time, and possibly have to go to court as a witness.

Sure, a hero should go through that effort, but that's the whole point of the "Spider-Man No More" story arc, he was selfishly giving up being a hero to improve his life.

Peter in TASM went out of his way to deprive someone out of an internship at OsCorp, told Connors that he came up with the Lizard formula, and his interactions with the car thief was painful to watch. There's a difference in being a wiseass and an ass, and shoving your crotch in someone's face crosses that line really far.

Oh, and kissing Gwen in front of how many ppla + MJ isn't horrible? The whole point of SM3 was him descending into this ass face which then gets blackened and becomes more of an ass face

We all become asses at times lol.

I doubt anyone lost an internship at an evil corporation which turns their staff into monsters lol.

And telling Conners that was to keep it a secret. He just did it on the fly.

And by the car was very funny wiseass to me. That's was Spider Man is ALL ABOUT. When was the previous Spider-Man EVER funny OR a wiseass?

Just once? When?

The he made were the kinda jokes Superman made in the 50s when Super heroes and comedy was much staler IMO

Wolvie

When was the previous Spider-Man EVER funny OR a wiseass?

Just once? When?

"That's a cute outfit. Did your husband give it to you?"
"You're getting on my nerves." "I have a knack for that."
"Here's your change!"
"Hey kiddo, let mom and dad talk for a minute will ya?"
"Not coming back, chief."
"I guess you haven't heard, I'm the sheriff around these parts."

I think there are more but you asked for one.

"Here's your change!"

"It's you who's out, Gobby. Out of your mind"
"Look at little Goblin Jr. Gonna cry?"
"Well beats taking the subway. Don't mind us she just needs to use the elevator"

"Here's your change!"

"Well beats taking the subway. Don't mind us she just needs to use the elevator"
*serious tone* "You know who I am."
"I do?"
*chipper tone* "Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man!"

"I had to beat to beat an old lady with a stick to get these cranberries!"

"I was in the neighbourhood, needed to see a friendly face. I took two buses and a cab to get in the neighbourhood, but..."

"Y'know, Harry....he doesn't live on a little place I like to call Earth."

Uhhhh how many people do you know that look good when they cry

Cause I've cried, and I've seen other people cry, and they look like a blubbering mess...they don't look good while crying. Lol

lol. It's not even a big deal. Crying in itself is not a "look good" type of expression but there's no doubt that some people are way worse than others. Like I said, it wasn't something that ruined the moment(s) but it was noticeable enough that I was thinking about it. Tobey has an ugly cry. Whatever.

"Y'know, Harry....he doesn't live on a little place I like to call Earth."

Lol I use that line in real life.

lol. It's not even a big deal. Crying in itself is not a "look good" type of expression but there's no doubt that some people are way worse than others. Like I said, it wasn't something that ruined the moment(s) but it was noticeable enough that I was thinking about it. Tobey has an ugly cry. Whatever.

But so does everyone lol

Garfield looks like he is crapping his pants when he does and Tobey's got uglyface.

I think a lot of my issues with Andrew's Peter is due to his awful script that he had to work with in TASM. He has some really good moments that I love like his rescue of the kid on the Bridge and his body language when watching the kid reunited with his father was really well done but my favorite is Tobey. Tobey did really well at carrying a sense of guilt and tragedy that really hits me. It's not that Peter was ever a loser in the Rami films, but that he was constantly hounded by the bad situations in his life and surrounded by and the guilt over his role in Ben's death. Andrew had a bit of this, but I could never see Tobey breaking a promise to a dead man the way Andrew did. Also it really bugs me when people say Tobey never had any quips as other members here have already shown. I'm particularly found of
"You're getting on my nerves"

"I have a knack for that"

The scene with his late pizza delivery/dealing with the mops, the awkward elevator ride with his "rides up in the crotch" comments as well, for example. There's humour abound with Maguire's Peter.

Why are Tobey's one liners ignored by some? He delivered them pretty well :huh:
Here's your change is not funny, but nothing to do with Tobey's delivery

Andrew and it's not even close. Toby McParker is just awful.

Nicolas Hammond is the best Spider-Man.

He was somewhat uptight, and put-upon, and he had a very strong sense of decency. He's a slightly over-dramatic actor, which is perfect for Peter Parker's constant-crisis of a life. And his costume was perfect; yes, it looks cheap and hand-made - exactly as Peter himself would have made it. Much moreso than Garfield or Maguire, Hammond comes across as a very average guy, the only thing special about him is his moral fibre.

Nicholas_Hammond_1977.JPG

1807409,Ew1Au+EgkhcCnRN91HfHi3IAdiDtfQoSZ289M3ycDlNeLvkr2ZIXwAC6hh_T8A2HbNJMbTn0Yqcuqqw+krDp1w==.jpg

I like the old movies and Toby was a good Peter Parker, but I definitely prefer Andrew Garfield as him, he just seemed to fit more to me.
I've never seen Nicolas Hammond as Spiderman, although I have seen the image :)

Maguire is the better Peter Parker. Garfield is the better Spider-Man.

i will say garfield is alot better and while i can't say for sure why i will say something and thats andrew generally looks like he loves playing spider-man and peter parker, even in the suit it has his body language all over it and even then you can see he is having fun

while i ain't sure toby quite had that excitement over the role

i will say garfield is alot better and while i can't say for sure why i will say something and thats andrew generally looks like he loves playing spider-man and peter parker, even in the suit it has his body language all over it and even then you can see he is having fun

while i ain't sure toby quite had that excitement over the role

Arnie looked like he enjoyed playing Mr Freeze - that doesn't make it a good performance.

Garfield seems a bit too happy all the time. Peter Parker is an angsty, troubled guy, not a sweet, mumbling, Elvis impersonator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"