Gary Oldman Joins Goyer Thriller

She's hot in that Megan Fox kinda way, except not so much teeth and nails.

So Odette Yustman is the new Megan Fox. Boy, trends sure move faster now in Hollywood.

so... given that i'm never gonna see this, because i just aint a big horror fan, but what happens? i understood the basic premise, but what the resolution? what happens to Oldman's character, and to Yustman's and to those who matter in this flick?

There are no characters that matter in this movie.

But to answer your question...
the demon wants to possess her, but that changes to wanting to kill her for no reason...mostly because it needed her as a host to live, but unexplainably then uses about 10 different people as hosts, at the drop of a hat. Anyway, they have a seance to get rid of it and Oldman and the new Megan Fox get rid of the demon. But wait...this all started at a particular time...why? Ah, she got pregnant by her boyfriend earlier in the film (it forgets that she was being haunted BEFORE she got pregnant) and one of the twins shes pregnant with may be the demon.

That sounds incredibly contrived. Does she end up getting raped by the pseudo-unborn brother thing or something?

That sounds incredibly contrived. Does she end up getting raped by the pseudo-unborn brother thing or something?

No, no rapings...

What i find absolutely pathetic iss that every "scary" thing in this movie is ripped straight from Exorcist...BUT...remember how freaking whacked out psycho the exorcism scenes were in that film???? These are boring! How do you have SO MUCH technology and years of experience behind you and the best you can come up with is flickering lights and wind???

You shouldn't expect a lot of originality and\or imagination from the team that brought you this movie.

There are no characters that matter in this movie.

But to answer your question...
the demon wants to possess her, but that changes to wanting to kill her for no reason...mostly because it needed her as a host to live, but unexplainably then uses about 10 different people as hosts, at the drop of a hat. Anyway, they have a seance to get rid of it and Oldman and the new Megan Fox get rid of the demon. But wait...this all started at a particular time...why? Ah, she got pregnant by her boyfriend earlier in the film (it forgets that she was being haunted BEFORE she got pregnant) and one of the twins shes pregnant with may be the demon.

hmm ok... so where does the dead twin brother figure in all this? he's the demon? a demon who wants to be born again through his sister? (man there's just something wrong with that statement).

hmm ok... so where does the dead twin brother figure in all this? he's the demon? a demon who wants to be born again through his sister? (man there's just something wrong with that statement).

The dead brother...well...

DOESNT fit into the movie...at all!

basically, the new Megan Fox's grandmother and her twin were in a nazi death camp. The brother died, but was brought back to life after being taken over by a demon. The boy was killed again so the demon has been looking for a new body to host. It was going to possess TNMF's brother, but it died in the womb, so he waited til she was an adult to come after her body (again, this makes no sense in the context of the film...he CLEARLY does not need her as a host).

The creepy kid you see in the trailers in NOT her brother...but the image of the grandmothers brother from the death camp. Her brother who died in utero plays absolutely no role in the film whatsoever besides the making her a potential twin.

My review:

When reviewing a truly stupid and clunky film, it’s often tempting to avoid critical thought and instead simply hurl an endless assortment of pithy puns and one-liners in a self-conscious attempt to feel superior to the lame subject at hand. For example, in dealing with the Michael Bay-produced The Unborn I could simply snidely refer to it as being “poorly conceived”, “labourously delivered” or, perhaps more crudely, “a messy afterbirth”. But I shan’t let these alluring temptations sway my course in properly informing you of how truly pitiful and dunderheaded The Unborn truly is.

Set in a very murky looking Chicago, The Unborn opens with that most treasured standby of hacky horror scribes: the surreal dream sequence. In this particular nightmarish-reverie, young Casey Beldon (Odette Yustman – last seen playing monster fodder in Cloverfield) strolls uneasily through a lonely, foreboding suburban street where she encounters an eerie masked dog and a blue-eyed demon-child. Despite her friends’ and families’ dismissive attitudes toward these nocturnal terrors (not to mention her sudden change in eye colour), it becomes swiftly apparent during a particularly hellish babysitting gig that otherworldly forces are at fiendish play.

With a little light research, Casey discovers two vitally important facts: that she is of Jewish ancestry, with familial ties to Nazi concentration camps and experimentation, and more importantly, that she once had a twin brother who died while still in utero. In bringing these shocking revelations to light, our intrepid heroine learns that she is being supernaturally hounded by a dybbuk, a malevolent spirit famed in Jewish folklore, who yearns enter into our world through her. With the aid of special slumming guest star Gary Oldman, playing a friendly neighbourhood rabbi, young Casey must valiantly attempt to exorcise the pesky demonic pest and forever close the book on her family’s own frighteningly tumultuous past.

Now, in theory, the concept of a Jewish variation on The Exorcist is a great idea. Why should the Catholics have all the fun in banishing paranormal trouble-makers and kicking undead ass? Unfortunately though, writer/director David S. Goyer (the screenwriting guiding force behind Wesley Snipes’ Blade trilogy, who also acted as a collaborator of increasingly dubious importance on the recent Batman films) is unquestionably not the man to accomplish so noble a task.

From the outset, in failing to establish a compelling canvas for his characters, Goyer bungles the whole project. The best atmospheric horror flicks, like The Shining or Poltergeist, depend on well-established relatable characters who involve us in their day-to-day lives, drawing us into a false sense of comfort before the screaming starts. The Unborn, unfortunately, ditches this philosophy and utilizes the Slasher film motif, which calls for one-dimensional Calvin Klein models who speak solely in the robotic type of teen-speak best known by forty-year-old Hollywood writers.

In addition, Goyer fails to create an interesting environment or back-story for Casey, his bland heroine. It’s hard to feel much empathy or fright when we’re asked to spend 87 minutes with frequently underwear-clad nonentity. Yustman, a pleasant Megan Fox lookalike, may possess talent but, judging from her often laughably overly sincere performance, lacks the charisma and skill to carry a film. (Yes, even this one!) Her limited range is especially apparent when acting off of Gary Oldman, a pro even under the direst of circumstances, who understand the importance in adding dimension and idiosyncratic flair to tone-deaf dialogue and flat characterizations.

While Goyer fills his oddly self-important horror show with some creepy visuals, such as a dog with an upside down head and a freaky twisted-up old man who walks like a crab, he too often relies on annoying shots of his generic evil child antagonist shrieking. At this point, after sitting through umpteen Ring and Grudge clones, the days of finding well-dressed demonic children frightening are well behind me, not to mention endless chase scenes through moonlit abandoned gothic sets.

The fact that The Unborn is so cheerlessly dreary and persistently dull makes it almost impossible to really fire up much critical wrath over it. This is the type of artless quick-buck scary movie created to win a slow box-office weekend before vanishing into the nether realms of your local video store’s dusty horror section. You could almost pronounce it “stillborn” upon arrival... Not that I ever would, of course.

1 out of 5

it's funny how Jon Favarae is an actor and writer first, and then got into directing in 2001 with Made. And he made a sucessful career of being a jack of all trades. And yet, Goyer can't follow suit.

I guess some people are not meant to direct films.

I've got a theory Goyer just writes outline scripts and the great directors he works with like Nolan, Del Toro and Proyas fill in the blanks. Either that or he has no self control as a director and can't edit his own scripts.

^ yeah. It's when he's all by himself that his.. lack of skills is fully revealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"