Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio Eye Killers of the Flower Moon

Oh yeah can't wait to sign up for Apple+ to watch this after it leaves theaters.

Oh you!

SandyOrnateGermanspaniel-size_restricted.gif

Marty is an interesting director. It's as if as he gets older, he wants to make more expensive films just for the sake of it. I don't understand why this movie or The Irishman required such a large budget.

I mean if I'm head of a studio and I lose money on a Scorsese or Spielberg film, I take that L as a badge of honor. But I know a lot of guys are squeamish about losing revenue these days.

Thank God. After the Star Trek news I was afraid this would be shelved.

I think there’s a pretty clear reason why Irishman had a big budget

Yeah. I don’t think people understand how expensive a period piece of that scale exploring different decades is. Obviously the de-aging and the actors themselves are very expensive, so you put those three together, the budget makes sense. I don’t think anyone would want The Irishman with younger and cheaper actors. The casting of DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino is directly tied to the themes and statement of the film itself.

If you’ve read KOTFM, it could easily be a bigger scale than The Irishman. It’s essentially BOTH WESTERN and a period FBI/gangster CRIME DRAMA. There’s no de-aging this time, but the cast is arguably even bigger with the addition of Leo, who is the most expensive actor working today. Again, the budget makes sense if you’re going to do the thing justice. Sure, you COULD make a low budget version that doesn’t do the scale justice, but if you’re the most Oscar nominated living director who’s muses are the most popular movie star today and a living legend, why sell yourself short?

Welp I guess I have to get Apple TV+

Surprised Netflix let him get away

Reading the book, which is all kinds of excellent, and I have to echo what weezerspider said: it's not difficult AT ALL to see why this movie is gonna be so expensive. The massive cast and Scorsese-level art direction for a period piece with this kind of scope... those two elements alone are gonna cost a ton.

I am thrilled Leo is playing Ernest Burkhart. That is going to be so much more interesting than him playing Tom White, who I imagine they will now try to get another big name for that role. But I think this cast is going to be stacked.

There will need to be a lot of Native American casting and I hope they handle that well. Mollie Burkhart is going to be a major character and sadly the only casting popping to my mind as perfect for it is Q'orianka Kilcher.

I don't understand why it was necessary for Robert to play the character while he was younger in The Irishman.

The whole point of the movie was to play with technology and see if you could make De Niro younger?

Maybe the movie should screw itself then.

That's Star Wars Prequel thinking. It's also just ego spending money because you can.

That's not the point.

The point is to see his life.

You can see the character's life without Robert. Is the age we see on the actor's face through the passage of time that important? I can certainly see the meaning that could be found there, but is it worth the money for anyone but streaming companies?

Why? Allowing a brilliant artist to be self-indulgent because we like him?

Last edited:
If you think the movie would work with another actor playing the young version of Frank you don't get the movie.

The movie is about the interplay between past and present, it's an old man looking back. It's important that Frank alone in the nursing home is the same Frank we see driving trucks for the mob.

Yes, continuity of persona was extremely important in The Irishman.

But this is a thread about Killers of the Flower Moon. And I can't wait to see DeNiro as William "King" Hale, a perfectly terrible person.

If you think the movie would work with another actor playing the young version of Frank you don't get the movie.

The movie is about the interplay between past and present, it's an old man looking back. It's important that Frank alone in the nursing home is the same Frank we see driving trucks for the mob.
Alright, I can see how it adds weight to the whole thing, but how were the majority of studios supposed to greenlite it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"