Marv Wolfman explains why people hate Marvel.

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by masteryoda, Jul 30, 2003.

1. iloveclones spooky....

And PROUD of it!!!!

2. The Batman The Dark Knight

Marvel "Zombies" act like idiots all the time, and are usually more vocal than DC Zombies.

On these boards alone, the DC boards always get hit with a "DC sucks" thread at least once a month.

The only DC- Zombie i know of on these boards is Highlander. And even he knows better than to go on a marvel board saying "Marvel sucks"

Not to mention, most DC fans read Marvel, or are former Marvel Zombies who realized that Marvel is not the end all, be all, and that there are other books out there

3. The Batman The Dark Knight

and by the way, DC has three books in the top ten, not one

4. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

I agree Mavel zombies are more vocal but if you go to the Batman boards and disagree with something there theyll eat you alive. DC zombies exist but are less vocal. Im just glad Im bi-partisan and love both companies.

5. Gambit8370 Registered

I like DC better because they don't "Ultimize" their characters. :D

6. The Batman The Dark Knight

I have a Love/hate relationship with the Ultimate line.

7. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

So do I. I love some titles and hate others. And the titles i love are bad sometimes. You undersatnd.:confused:

8. CantThinkOfAName Registered

Instead, they just have a Crisis for their regular universe characters and **** them up:)

9. Zev Registered

No, you're completely wrong! Lex Luthor was always a bald corporate raider! In fact, long before the Kingpin!

10. Dread TMNT 1984-2009

Very informative article. Definately food for thought.

11. GoldenAgeHero Registered

wow never saw this coming. but sundry cited a few things i think are good for the comic industry. the movies based on the characters, im sure the movies have peeks some interests in the comics again.

12. kiuju2k Registered

So thats why I don't read much of marvel?

13. THANOSRULES Registered

wow this post is 2 years old...but still pretty dead on.

Marv Wolfman is the Man..he Wanted the Rights for his (and my main man)NOVA and he left marvel forever as a result...

What I find weird though is marv doesnt attack the mature content of comics these days, but seems to lament that comics dont have "casual fans"...

I can remember the day you could pick up a Spiderman comic and didnt have to worry about a story about somebody getting raped or gutted.

14. deemar325 Registered

I just read it also, that's very insightful.

15. iloveclones spooky....

Just saw this in another thread and thought I'd bump it. Go to the first page and read the original interview. Good Stuff.

16. roach I am the night

I hate Marvel. I fully admit it. I hate what they are doing to the characters and I hate that there seems to be no rhyme or reason in the characters chosen for series. I hate Marvel because they could be doing so much more with the characters yet seem to want to destroy them. I hate Marvel because instead of writing and planning their characters for the future they seem to want to dwell on the past. No one seems to realize the problem with Spider-man isnt that he is married but that the writing is really crappy.

17. WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

Yeah, ya know, I'd have no problem dedicatin' my $50 a week to quality Marvel backissues. Or, at least whatever's leftover after I buy quality distinguished competition books.

18. roach I am the night

it's like when my high school guidance counselor said I need to apply myself and I could be a grade A student and it pissed my mom off.

19. iloveclones spooky....

I feel bad about that, roach, because I really feel the opposite. I haven't had this much fun reading their comics, really, since I was a kid. I wish I could convince you otherwise, but I doubt I could. Hope springs Eternal, though....

20. roach I am the night

I havent bought a Marvel comic in a long time....
    Blade: if you have Blade fighting supervillains then you dont know the character. There is a lack of supernatural in the MU and this could have reintroduced it.
    Heroes 4 Hire: When you dont have Luke Cage and Iron Fist in this book and fill the book with c-listers you've pretty much put a time limit on the book.

21. iloveclones spooky....

That's probably 100% entirely accurate. But it has nothing to do with how good the book is, or whether or not I enjoy it (which I do.)

22. LadyMoira Registered

Great interview that really sums up what's been wrong with Marvel lately...the new editors hold both the characters they're writing for and the fans that love them in contempt and it shows. They have no respect at all anymore...hell movie versions from the first two X-Men movies, to Sam Raimi' Spiderman trilogy, and even the animated Ultimate Avengers movies are more respectful to the original feel and mythos of the characters, (even if they take certain liberties in the need to translate to screen,) than Marvel has been in their latest storylines.

23. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Im loving Marvel a lot more than I did in 03-04. So im happy.

24. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

I'm hoping that once Gray and Palmiotti are off the book (which should be soon considering that they are now exclusive to DC), that Bendis will take the reigns of this book (take him off an Avengers title PLEASE), and add Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

I think that Bendis would be perfect for books such as Daredevil, the Punisher, and Heroes for Hire.

25. WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

Uh, Bendis already DID Daredevil...he left it. And I want LESS Bendis, not more. No more titles fer that grade-A hack.