Marvel 1602

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by FieryBalrog, Apr 25, 2006.

1. FieryBalrog Registered

I just picked up this in TPB yesterday. I'd never heard of Neil Gaiman before, but damn this man can write. And the art is just fantastic. Some of the best work I've seen from Kubert. I loved this story and Gaiman's prose is just poetic. And for once Wolverine was nowhere to be seen, which was all kinds of awesome.

I wish he handled the sequel. I keep hearing good things about his Sandman so I should probably pick that up. But any Marvel fans should check this out, its a cool adventure.

2. Aptman Registered

I liked the idea of calling mutants "witchbreed". Hopefully Neil Gaiman can afford to fight for the rights of Miracleman now. I think Marvel could do a lot with the character.

3. El Bastardo Literary elitist

Gaiman's a great writer, and 1602 was quite an awesome read and story. And no, no Wolverine - if the trade version is the one I read/am thinking of, in the back, in the "extras" section (trades are becoming DVDs!), there's the reason why. I thought his reasoning was a great way to create the story he did.

My only problem with the story, really, was the ending.

4. FieryBalrog Registered

Yea, he wanted only Silver Age characters, right?

I liked the slogan he came up with for the X-men: Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis. "All things change, and we change with them."

5. El Bastardo Literary elitist

Yeah, only the Silver Age characters.

Some of the X-Men's real names were a little hokey. Cyke was... Scotius Summersisle, right? Or something close to that? Yeah... I get that he wanted to make the names close to their normal counterparts, and he definitely shouldn't have used their modern names, but that one just doesn't strike me right.

And yes, that slogan was cool.

6. FieryBalrog Registered

Scotius Somerisle. Yea that was the hokiest. The others were good, Robert Trefusis, Henry McCoy, Jean Grey and Werner. Two weren't even changed.

And I found Peter's last name pretty amusing. Peter Parquagh.

7. El Bastardo Literary elitist

Yeah, his last name was funny. I wonder what nationality it was supposed to be... I read 1602 several months ago, so I don't remember if Fury mentions it. And yeah, Scott's name was the only one that stuck out in my mind. You're right, the others weren't bad.

Magneto as the Grand Inquisitor was really cool.

And speaking of Fury... Did Agent of the Crown Fury not kick total arse?

8. MoiBijou Registered

I really love 1602, it's one of my favorite alternative stories. I really enjoyed it. :)

9. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

1602 was awesome.

10. BBraddockLover Registered

i hadnt heard about this it sounds interesting though

11. Sun_Down Groovy

1602 was definitely a great read, some parts seemed forced (like the Danger Room reference), but I'd say it's a must-read. The scene with Angel in the tower is one of my favorite Angel moments in all comic history.

12. FieryBalrog Registered

yea. That reference, and the X-men's lame costumes, were some of my biggest gripes about the book (yea, there was nothing really to gripe about :p)

For example, I loved Quicksilver's outfit. It fit the period, it looked awesome, and it looked "Quicksilvery" too. Same with Wanda. It made sense because she was a nun, it looked cool, and at the same time it subtlely referenced her regular outfit. Same with Magneto. Same with Jean and Charles. But the X-men basically just wore their Ultimate uniforms with minor alterations.

13. Cyclops Registered

Never heard of Gaiman? Holy crap.

He's one of the few comicbook writers who gets respect from the mainstream literary audience.

14. FieryBalrog Registered

yea, I'd heard of Sandman (which I assumed was about a man... made of sand... :p) but not his name.

15. KingOfDreams Registered

You HAVE to read The Sandman. Right now. Go. Get it.

16. FieryBalrog Registered

which volume should I start with? Just start at 1?

17. KingOfDreams Registered

That's where I started but I think some people might say otherwise. It's not a bad place to start though.

18. Sparta* ~Sword of Darkness~

I've been a fan of Gaiman since his work before comics. I never read Sandman, but I really enjoyed 1602. The ending could have been better, but overall it was a good interpretation :up:

19. KingOfDreams Registered

The Sandman is Gaiman's definitive work. You should read it.

20. deathshead2 Registered

I really enjoyed 1602 fantastic stuff. I really want to buy the enternals when it comes out but im going to wait for trade so it looks better together. Makes it feel more epic to me.

21. KingOfDreams Registered

That's actually a pretty good idea. I might do that too. Every Gaiman comic-related work I own is in tpb form.

22. Aptman Registered

And has a major part in one of the greateest and confusing legal battles over a comicbook character's name ownership ever.

23. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

24. FieryBalrog Registered

cool sequence. Guess what my favorite two pages are :D

25. Sun_Down Groovy

Not only was Pietro's outfit great, but I thought he was one of the more interesting characters to read. "I ran very fast, sire." That line was too cool for words.