Marvel Characters Who Could Defeat Thanos Singlehandedly

I know tons about Doom and trust me, given the circumstances, a prepared Doom could conquer anything....lest we forget he has beat Galactus, Beyonder(s), and ripped the heart out of Thanos...just saying, if the writer wants Doom to overpower Thanos, he will...Doom will bring DOOM to all....

I mean...again, they had the same goal...and Thanos out prepped Doom badly, and just came off so much more intelligent.

Thanos is Doom on a larger level, and is Marvel's king of prep.

Thanos was the heart of the universe was beyond the Beyonder. He more or less took the place of the Marvel writers lol

I said this in the DC thread and I'll say it here....Ant-Man?

Sorry I don't know Marvel well, but it's the equivalent of Atom vs Darkseid and out of all the heroes not to feature in Infinity War, Ant-Man is like the only one missing AFAIK.

This is comic book Thanos that you've been talking about though, who is essentially a god. I suspect MCU Thanos is nowhere near that level.

In the IW trailer we see Cap stop (at least temporarily ) Thanos striking him with the IG , in the comics Cap would be a red white and blue smear if Thanos laid a finger on him. We also see him squeezing Thor's head.

So, as far as MCU characters go who could beat Thanos ? ( and I mean Thanos without any infinity stones, because with even one he's pretty much unbeatable).

Well, probably Dormammu, maybe Hela ( although that would depend on other factors -e.g who got the first shot in) Maybe Surtur Prime ( with eternal flame). I don't think Ego would be able to take him down. Ultron.....no chance.

I think it's implied that Ronan with the power stone could possibly overwhelm Thanos and Dr Strange might be able to stalemate him with the time stone. Maybe Vision could sacrifice himself by phasing inside Thanos ' head and turning super dense ( which would probably kill Vision as well). But of course these three examples involve a character wielding an infinity stone.

Otherwise the rest of the MCU characters, probably wouldn't offer much of a challenge with an infinity stone on hand.

Last edited:
We know next to nothing about MCU Thanos. We have heard other characters make claims that he is the most powerful being in the universe. That would imply he would have to be very powerful even without the stones. Ronan didn't seem to fear him all that much even before he got that power stone.

I said this in the DC thread and I'll say it here....Ant-Man?

Sorry I don't know Marvel well, but it's the equivalent of Atom vs Darkseid and out of all the heroes not to feature in Infinity War, Ant-Man is like the only one missing AFAIK.

Yep. Ant-Man could probably kill Thanos by shrinking inside of him and just wrecking his internal organs or messing with him on a sub atomic level.

Black Ant went inside a guy and then enlarged himself, killing the man in the Illuminati comics.

In the IW trailer we see Cap stop (at least temporarily ) Thanos striking him with the IG , in the comics Cap would be a red white and blue smear if Thanos laid a finger on him.

I think it's a safe bet MCU Thanos will still be way stronger than Cap.
My guess is Cap's got a hand on the gauntlet and is trying to use the stones against Thanos. They're having a battle of wills, not a battle of strength.

Last edited:
Thör-El;36501727 said:
I think it's a safe bet MCU Thanos will still be way stronger than Cap.
My guess is Cap's got a hand on the gauntlet and is trying to use the stones against Thanos. They're having a battle of wills, not a battle of strength.

I'm not suggesting for a second that MCU Cap is stronger
than Thanos - it's just that the comic book Cap could never stop any kind of movement by Thanos, without being splattered - it would be like a bug trying to stop a bulldozer.

MCU Cap does have superhuman strength, as his past feats show. You may be right, that Cap is attempting to access the guantlet's power, but in that clip he actually halts the momentum of Thanos' hand - something he could never do in the comics. Of course don't know what happens next - but if it's a contest of strength Cap will surely lose.

Aren’t there characters that are stronger than thanos like beyonder?

Aren’t there characters that are stronger than thanos like beyonder?

Thanos is powerful no doubt...but there are lots that can beat him and despite earlier comments, Doom could...lets be honest he took over the multiverse and ripped Thanos skeleton out...so yes Doom can beat him in strategy if necessary but have rarely had the chance

Thanos is powerful no doubt...but there are lots that can beat him and despite earlier comments, Doom could...lets be honest he took over the multiverse and ripped Thanos skeleton out...so yes Doom can beat him in strategy if necessary but have rarely had the chance

And Thanos became the Marvel Universe. He didnt just take over the multiverse. He became Marvel. TOAA.

His obtaining the heart of the universe was the greatest level of power in Marvel.
Nope. Thanos' is Marvel's greatest schemer. It's part of the character.

Intellect/scheming>Durability>Power.

Doom already had the Beyonder's powers when Thanos got involved.

Marvel's The End, which you are conveniently disregarding had Thanos and Doom both prepping and strategizing against the same character. Thanos came out on top.

Your hypotheticals are baseless because this has happened IN CANON (before it was erased). They both had a strategy, and Doom failed while Thanos succeeded on a grander scale.

If Thanos has no prep, fine, Doom can prep against him. But you give them time to both strategize against each other, Thanos will out smart him and out plan him. This is an indisputable fact, it happened in canon.

Doom ripped out Thanos' spine in a cheap money grabbing retelling of Secret Wars...in which Doom was already God Emperor Doom and omnipotent when Thanos got involved.

In The End, the prepped simultaneously, both creating their own plan with the same goal...the only time they were on even footing. Thanos succeeded, Doom failed. That's it.

Doom already had the Beyonder's powers when Thanos got involved.

Doom ripped out Thanos' spine in a cheap money grabbing retelling of Secret Wars...in which Doom was already God Emperor Doom and omnipotent when Thanos got involved.

Before they fought in Secret Wars Doom and Thanos both saw the incursions and had time to prepare for the multiverse ending though.

Thanos prep amounted to working with the cabal on a ready made plan to destroy alternate earths and then allying with an alternate Reed Richards for a space on his lifeboat to Battleworld.

Doom's prep was travelling the multiverse capturing alternate universe Molecule Men to create a bomb that could destroy the Beyonders and then usurping their power to become a God and create Battleworld.

Thör-El;36503327 said:
Before they fought in Secret Wars Doom and Thanos both saw the incursions and had time to prepare for the multiverse ending though.

Thanos prep amounted to working with the cabal on a ready made plan to destroy alternate earths and then allying with an alternate Reed Richards for a space on his lifeboat to Battleworld

Doom's prep was travelling the multiverse capturing alternate universe Molecule Men to create a bomb that could destroy the Beyonders and then usurping their power to become a God and create Battleworld.

I know, that's exactly my point, though it was so out of character for Thanos. Whereas in The End, Doom had planned to take the Pharoah's power for himself, and travelled through time to do so. Thanos was initially trying to stop him the Pharoah, before discovering his power source and upsurping, and watching as a spectator as Doom's plan failed. Similar objectives in The End

I know, that's exactly my point, though it was so out of character for Thanos. Whereas in The End, Doom had planned to take the Pharoah's power for himself, and travelled through time to do so. Thanos was initially trying to stop him the Pharoah, before discovering his power source and upsurping, and watching as a spectator as Doom's plan failed. Similar objectives in The End

The 'out of character'/'bad writing' thing's always an interesting one. A Doom fan could equally argue they prefer the writing in Time Runs Out/Secret War that showed Doom as the best villain in the 616 when it comes to prep.

It's a lot harder to have the who would win argument when the writing's inconsistent. I have to agree with Stan

Last edited:
Well it depends on the version of the Character. If it's Thanos with the HOTU, which I feel was basically a portion of TOAA's power then in my opinion the only character that could defeat him would be.

The One Above All

Since in my opinion the Heart of the Universe is not equal to TOAA, but only part of TOAA's power. I think these characters would be relatively equal to Thanos with the Heart of the Universe.

Pre-Retconned Beyonder
Doom with Pre-Retconned Beyonder's Powers

Characters below Thanos with the Heart of the Universe, I would say would be.

God Emperor Doom
Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet
Living Tribunal

Now if it is just Thanos then there are quite a bit of characters more powerful than Thanos in his standard form. However, he is still extremely poweful and would rank up with the likes of Odin or Zeus without any special Artifacts.

Surfer

The Phoenix Force / Dark Phoenix

Last edited:
Now if it is just Thanos then there are quite a bit of characters more powerful than Thanos in his standard form. However, he is still extremely poweful and would rank up with the likes of Odin or Zeus without any special Artifacts.

Surfer

Without an all powerful maguffin to amp him up I think Thanos is slightly below Odin. They've fought before:
https://youtu.be/FoTU3t51zBE

Thör-El;36509691 said:
Without an all powerful maguffin to amp him up I think Thanos is slightly below Odin. They've fought before:
https://youtu.be/FoTU3t51zBE

In the comics, that is correct. Odin handedly beat him without any objects in the past. I am thinking the movies are going to beef Thanos up, though.

Sentry (as original poster said) would have a solid chance assuming he didn't have one of his many mini breakdowns. If he had no breakdown, or a total breakdown into the Void, either way he'd have a chance.

I say that because as Sentry it's canon that he fought Galactus to a standstill (I think we can agree Galactus could take Thanos if Thanos had no extra weapons), and as Void he's proven basically unbeatable except by going through Sentry's mind somehow. He destroyed Asgard and ripped Ares in half with basically no difficulty and only lost because Bob allowed (and asked) Thor to kill him.

That, plus he's basically unkillable apparently.. which I think is dumb but it's canon. Every time he dies he just comes back to life.

In the comics, that is correct. Odin handedly beat him without any objects in the past. I am thinking the movies are going to beef Thanos up, though.

They don't really have to. We never got to see MCU Odin fight.

Sentry (as original poster said) would have a solid chance assuming he didn't have one of his many mini breakdowns. If he had no breakdown, or a total breakdown into the Void, either way he'd have a chance.

I say that because as Sentry it's canon that he fought Galactus to a standstill (I think we can agree Galactus could take Thanos if Thanos had no extra weapons), and as Void he's proven basically unbeatable except by going through Sentry's mind somehow. He destroyed Asgard and ripped Ares in half with basically no difficulty and only lost because Bob allowed (and asked) Thor to kill him.

That, plus he's basically unkillable apparently.. which I think is dumb but it's canon. Every time he dies he just comes back to life.

That happened? That's beyond dumb :whatever:

That happened? That's beyond dumb :whatever:

It happened off panel lol in a statement.

So no, it didnt happen.

Anyways we all know this. No one below Odin, Dormammu, Surtur Zeus etc is beating Thanos 1v1. Not Sentry, not Void, not Doom, etc

Actually, Thanos has recieved an upgrade from Death since then, as well as a pop culture boost.

As far as that fight, Odin didnt defeat Thanos. They were interrupted. Odin was clearly winning and was gonna win, but Thanos didnt go down and was ready to keep fighting Odin. And this was before his uogrades.

I'd say at that point it was

Odin

Thanos

Surfer

Now its probably

Odin

Thanos

Surfer

MCU Thanos against MCU Hela who would win?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"