Marvel December 2008 Solicits

Lot of good FF potential this solicit, but the mag that's perked my eye is She-Hulk. I'd love to see the Marvel Women assert themselves more. Plus I get a Valkyrie fix.

Newer FF could be fun.

Cosmic Sized seems mysterious.

Ultimate FF looks like it's starting to breakdown. But it looks good doing it.

Blastaar looks BADASS! Great cover. He looks like he's from Attilan though.

Hope Doom is fun, but I agree with Dread, it's past time he kicked the Marvel Universe's arse.

December looks good.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

f_GHOSTRV2030m_bac84bf.jpg

Uber-cool. Can't wait for this one.

-I was really excited about Eye of the Camera and Punisher War Zone until I saw that they were both $3.99 per issue.

-The Noir books sound interesting, but I won't buy the issues.

-I'm not sure if I'm willing to add a book to what I collect, but if I do, Inognito will probably be it.

-I guess there's no Astonishing X-Men in December. I'm already thinking it was a bad idea to collect an Ellis book.

Marvel promised that Ellis and Bianchi were ahead of schedule way back when, and then they announced that Astonishing X-Men miniseries tie-in thing that replaces the book for two months. Not as far ahead as they initially thought?

Marvel promised that Ellis and Bianchi were ahead of schedule way back when, and then they announced that Astonishing X-Men miniseries tie-in thing that replaces the book for two months. Not as far ahead as they initially thought?

They did? Because I remember sometime in the spring, Ellis said he had just started writing the script for his third issue, just a few months before his run started.

Yeah, I think I read something about it when it was announced that they'd be taking over the book. If I remember correctly, whoever the editor is was asked if they anticipate huge delays, and he said that there shouldn't be any because they'd had a big head start at the time.

Waited for the full solicts to give some full thoughts, so everything is organized. Plus, work keeps me busy. ;)

- It seems that INVINCIBLE IRON MAN and AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE are dependent on how SECRET INVASION #8 ends. I am curious if this means a possible "rescue" of the real Hank Pym (or Wasp) happens in A:TI. After all, Slott & Gage have used Yellowjacket more often than Bendis was in Mighty Avengers before SI started. What I find bemusing is that these solicts are kept "top secret" due to not wanting to spoil endings, but there are other solicts of other comics that all but spoil some current story lines. Um, hooray?

- Completely not interested in NOIR. It seems like a pathetic attempt to capitalize on THE SPIRIT in the theaters (or SIN CITY's upcoming sequel and continued popularity). What, thought us Marvel Zombies were too dumb to notice? Well, some likely will be.

- That cover of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #129 reminds me of all the reasons I fled from that property. Good lord. Considering USM is the only Ultimate book that sells near the Top 30, if ULTIMATUM doesn't work, will the line be finished? It has outlived it's usefulness to Marvel.

- Roger Stern returning to ASM is an interesting idea, but not enough to give BND a try. Every time I flip through an issue at random, it loses me.

- I might get the BND YEARBOOK because I'm a Handbook junkie.

- ADAM: LEGEND OF THE BLUE MARVEL has some interest because I, unlike some people, still kind of like Grevioux's NEW WARRIORS. Still, it does basically reek of an "African American Sentry". I understand that the Silver Age comics were very Lilly White in terms of superheroes, but I am not sure that retcons are always the best option. And Anti-Man is almost slang for homosexual, isn't it? Still, I may give it a try. Unlike SENTRY, Marvel isn't lying and claiming this Blue Marvel is a sketch from Stan Lee's desk or something.

- I am giving BIG HERO 6 a try, but it seems out of 6 issues, they spend most of them in NEW YORK CITY/AMERICA. Now, I ask, what is the bloody point of a book about a team of Japanese superheroes based in Tokyo if the majority of the action takes place in friggin' New York City? Yeah, such a rare location for Marvel superhero stories.

In my review of BH6 #1, I also said something to the effect of asking Claremont to PLEASE refrain from using mind-control stories, which he has done to death over a 30+ year career.

"Now, their adversaries have taken control of some of their own team mates and allies, with every intention of letting the team, their friends, and their family members tear each other apart!" :waa:

C'mon, dude, SERIOUSLY!? What the **** is the point of doing new stories if you're just to reuse everything you have ever done!? Is Social Security that bad!? Mind Control has been done to death by Claremont almost as often as "Storm = Queen" or "Storm = Fetish" stories. I may still give the rest of the mini a shot, but knowing this is coming has sucked a lot out of BH6 to me.

If it turns out they are fighting Shadow King, I am SO gone.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA #45 looks good, and I don't mind Batroc's design on the cover. Reuniting the Invaders sounds fine; I wouldn't mind a version that didn't suck, even if the name is outdated. As for the idea of reviving Toro, it actually came up once before; an old man used to "mentor" the Power Pack way back in the 80's, and he had the same last name as the original Toro. Nothing was ever made of this besides some speculation in the GOLDEN AGE handbook, though.

Still, we have Union Jack and Spitfire busy in CAPTAIN AMERICA AND MI-13, which may make continuity an issue. After all, only Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Storm, Hulk, Cyclops, Punisher, Ghost Rider, or Captain America can appear in multiple books simultaneously and have readers accept it. Maybe it will get Blazing Skull back into comics after the tease that was THE LAST DEFENDERS. That'd be cool.

- For those who complain that Captain America only has "one book", I should note that for the past year or so, there have been various side mini's and one shots, so in terms of the actual shelves, it is like Cap has two comics.

- GHOST RIDER #30 looks interesting. Unlike some, I'm not too perturbed about some of the mangling of Ketch and feel Aaron is onto a role, picking up where Way left off. I am glad it seems to be writing an end-game of sorts to the storyline, since I doubt GR will remain in the Top 100 eventually. Even in slow months, it barely hangs onto the Top 80. Launched in the ride-up to the 2007 film, it may have just run it's course. Still, Aaron's on a roll here for me. Not a fan of Huat's art, but I am getting used to it, and it appears he is the new "regular" artist on the book. I'm not bothering with the Ketch side-mini, though.

- So, I see HULK #9, and I wonder, how long has Red Hulk been going by "Rulk"? I hate that about modern society as it is; any new word can come from merging two words. It seems uncreative and lazy. It's uncrazy. See how easy and stupid it is? It's steasy. :whatever:

- I wonder if Hulk really sells enough to warrant a HULK FAMILY SPECIAL. I mean, Spidey books still are Top 10-15 sellers and SPIDER-MAN FAMILY/SPECIAL has been a bottom feeder for years. HULK may be selling well, but SHE-HULK has taken a dive since Slott left, and that book always hovered towards the Top 70 or so. There's SKAAR, where I am not sure there is a lot of interest. It seems odd.

- IMMORTAL IRON FIST #21 offers a switch for the obligatory filler story about another IF; rather than the past, they offer a look at a future one, circa 3099. Seems...a little pandering, to be honest. Sales for August did take a sharp dive since Fraction & Brubaker left, though, so I wonder where things will stand in August. The first arc with the new team hasn't been bad at all, thus far.

- CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13 is touted as "horror". Hmm, interesting. It is good that Kirk will be returning to the series eventually; too many artists launch a series and then flee as fast as they can. As always, any issue of this looks good to me.

- MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 without Robert Kirkman, when every version and sequel has seen steadily diminishing sales? Dead horse, time for a beating.

- Is MOON KNIGHT really selling well to warrant a one-shot? By December it may be out of the Top 100. Again, I seriously wonder why Marvel publishes things that almost seem destined for the quarter bin at con's.

- MARVEL: EYES TO THE CAMERA from Busiek sounds interesting, although they could KEEP their "sequel to MARVELS" if they could get Busiek on MIGHTY AVENGERS when Bendis leaves. :p

- NOVA #20 sounds very interesting; new Nova Corps AND an appearance from Counter-Force (presumably)? I'm there. The cover seems to make Nova's shoulderpads look ridiculously 90's, though. They're not that bad, are they? As always, this is one of my favorite titles, and it appears Nova is spending some time on Earth after his SI tie in ends. It makes sense I guess, although I do like his space adventures a lot.

- I love how a special about Skurge the Executioner has to be called THOR by obligation (sarcasm). It's like a story about the X-Mansion's janitor must be called something like X-MEN: WIPE YOUR FEET or something. Still, it looks interesting and Fraction's proven fine with Thor in past material.

- Amazed that NEW WARRIORS #19 is still being solicted, and it totally gives away what Night-Thrasher has been planning all this time. Oh, well.

- HELLCAT'S quirky adventure comes to a close, and since it debuted at a measly 19.5k, by December it might be selling near INVINCIBLE at about 14k or so. Not for everyone's tastes, but at least Hellcat is fun and not generic here.

- I no longer am buying PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL.

- Shame that Dr. Doom image with the Infinity Gauntlet was a WHAT IF cover. I mean, heaven forfend the #1 villain in the MU ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING VILLAINOUS, eh?

- The "Newer" Fantastic Four with Iron Man may as well be called, THE MARVEL MOVIE TEAM. They summon each other with wrist-watches that bleep out a KA-CHING!

- That cover to GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8 looks bad-ass.

- I have no idea why both WOLVERINE and WEAPON X need a First Class.
Is this a typo or have you seen a comic book that i have'nt???

Still, we have Union Jack and Spitfire busy in CAPTAIN AMERICA AND MI-13, which may make continuity an issue. After all, only Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Storm, Hulk, Cyclops, Punisher, Ghost Rider, or Captain America can appear in multiple books simultaneously and have readers accept it. Maybe it will get Blazing Skull back into comics after the tease that was THE LAST DEFENDERS. That'd be cool.

I don't understand this. Are you under the impression that if two books featuring the same character happen to ship on the same day, that they must be taking place at the same time, or something? If not, I don't see how those characters appearing in more than one book disrupts continuity. Unless we see someone like Wolverine specifically being in the Savage Land during SI in one book and have him appear in NYC in another book that clearly takes place at the same time, it's a non issue.

Having a shared universe means that characters can have guest appearances, even multiple guest appearances without having it disrupt the overall contintuity.

I hope there is some kind of red herring in that GotG solicit. With that and last months solicit I'm somewhat worried, I've really enjoyed this team as is

I'm really intrigued by the Noir series. Spider-Man and Daredevil Noir will be must buys for me.

Yeah, I think I read something about it when it was announced that they'd be taking over the book. If I remember correctly, whoever the editor is was asked if they anticipate huge delays, and he said that there shouldn't be any because they'd had a big head start at the time.

But there was also an article that stated that their run wasn't supposed to kick off until some time next year, so it actually started earlier than expected as well, so they probably thought they had more time as well.

What's strange is that there's that Ellis-written miniseries filling in, so obviously Ellis could still hand in a monthly script, and Loeb used to talk about how timely Bianchi was in interviews for their Wolverine arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"