Marvel Nemesis

Horrorfan

Superhero
Reaction score
I don't see why so many people trash this game...

Don't get me wrong, the single player is kind of crappy. The engine was designed for arena fights, not 'levels'. And the story is crappy too (and practically non existant).

However, the fighting arena with two players is excellent, and one of my favourite fighting games along with Def Jam Fight for New York and Smackdown vs Raw.

You may say that some characters are unbalanced, but they created it to be a 'superhero simulator', with the abilities, weaknesses and strengths of your favourite characters so you can finally see who would win in a fight between them. Of course they are unbalanced because that's how it is in the comics. If everyone were equal it would be pointless. The only thing I would have liked is more actual Marvel characters and scrapped the Imperfects who will probably never be seen again.

The battles are often epic, and if you're say, Wolverine against Spidey, you need to have tactics, ie avoiding his webbing, strength and agility. You need to get in close and shut him down. Or vice versa, as Spidey, keep wolverine at bay since he's strongest up close, and keep the attacks long distance. The arenas are fully destructable which adds to the epic, superhero feel.

I just don't get the hate. Sure the campaign mode sucked, but IMO, the superb two player fights more than made up for it.

Horrorfan said:
However, the fighting arena with two players is excellent, and one of my favourite fighting games along with Def Jam Fight for New York and Smackdown vs Raw.

This is where I stopped reading.

Indiglo said:
This is where I stopped reading.

Thanks for that well thought out, intelligent critique :D

People hate on Def Jam because it's rap. Hell I hate rap, but FFNY is one of THE finest scrappers around, hate rap or not. But I understand why the haters would be put off, but they are missing a hell of a good game. Homie.

I like rap :confused:

The game sucks because there's games out there like SF1-abillion, the Capcom Vs SNK Vs Marvel Vs Your Mom, Tekken, Soul Caliber, DOA, and I'm sure a lot others that blow the game away.

:)

Indiglo said:
I like rap :confused:

The game sucks because there's games out there like SF1-abillion, the Capcom Vs SNK Vs Marvel Vs Your Mom, Tekken, Soul Caliber, DOA, and I'm sure a lot others that blow the game away.

:)

Like I said, you haven't really explained why it sucks. This game makes you feel like your hero, whereas in Marvel vs Capcom, your playing a street fighter character with a marvel animation stuck on to con fans.

Tornado claw?? Never saw wolvie do that ;)

I hate how the game feels when I play it, I like lightning fast gameplay and counters and such. This game feels like my guy weighs a ton and I'm playing in slow motion. I just hate it. I also hate Marval Nemesis and ALL wrestling games, they all suffer from the same ****ty fighting mechanics.

IMO

Indiglo said:
I hate how the game feels when I play it, I like lightning fast gameplay and counters and such. This game feels like my guy weighs a ton and I'm playing in slow motion. I just hate it. I also hate Marval Nemesis and ALL wrestling games, they all suffer from the same ****ty fighting mechanics.

IMO

Oh I understand...but I'm kinda the opposite. I prefer slower, more tactical matches where the winner is determined by some stratagy and not who can press combo buttons fastest. I also feel the blows in slower games have real weight to them, whereas it feels too flighty in faster games.
But I do understand where you're coming from :up:

it plays like crap (probably because it IS crap), and it's like the furthest thing from making me feel like the heroes. that would be X-Men Legends, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, hell, even the half-baked Spidey titles they've been releasing one after the other.

There's a thread on this already, which I can't seem to find, but if I could, I'd link you so you could see what we were complaining abou.

I like the game too. Drakon told me to sell it or something lol.:(

Anyway, it's fun, I beat it a few months ago and I still play with my friends.

Yeah, I recommended you trade it in, and get as much credit for it as you can. Then later, get it from the bargain bin.

Horrorfan said:
I don't see why so many people trash this game

I don't either that is ONE of the best marvel games to me I loved the Marvel Nemesis game.:)

Drakon said:
Yeah, I recommended you trade it in, and get as much credit for it as you can. Then later, get it from the bargain bin.

I still have it.:p:D

Horrorfan said:
I don't see why so many people trash this game...

Don't get me wrong, the single player is kind of crappy. The engine was designed for arena fights, not 'levels'. And the story is crappy too (and practically non existant).

You may say that some characters are unbalanced, but they created it to be a 'superhero simulator', with the abilities, weaknesses and strengths of your favourite characters so you can finally see who would win in a fight between them. Of course they are unbalanced because that's how it is in the comics. If everyone were equal it would be pointless. The only thing I would have liked is more actual Marvel characters and scrapped the Imperfects who will probably never be seen again.

The battles are often epic, and if you're say, Wolverine against Spidey, you need to have tactics, ie avoiding his webbing, strength and agility. You need to get in close and shut him down. Or vice versa, as Spidey, keep wolverine at bay since he's strongest up close, and keep the attacks long distance. The arenas are fully destructable which adds to the epic, superhero feel.

I just don't get the hate. Sure the campaign mode sucked, but IMO, the superb two player fights more than made up for it.
The problem was you had to pay $70 for it. And to get more characters you either had to cheat (if you even can) or play through that craptacular story mode. It's only worth $20-$30 no more.

Horrorfan said:
People hate on Def Jam because it's rap. Hell I hate rap, but FFNY is one of THE finest scrappers around, hate rap or not. But I understand why the haters would be put off, but they are missing a hell of a good game. Homie.
Both the Def-Jam games are not great. They get old quick, the same lame-o one not game play the WCW back stage assault (and Backyard wrestling) suffered from. That and every rapper in it is doing a huge syncronized shark jump.

Indiglo said:
Any decent wrestling game will let you make a fast character and not suffer for it.

I gotta admit though even though the vs mode is a lot of fun, single player sucked and I still don't know exactly what happened (there was a lot of confusion on other sites about the heroes at the beginning ie hulk dying or being abducted, how some people are infected, show up fine and then infected again and what happened to marvel heroes at the end).

You guys had to pay seventy bucks for it? Damn. I don't think many games are worth THAT much.

Me either, hence why I rented it instead.

Horrorfan said:
You guys had to pay seventy bucks for it? Damn. I don't think many games are worth THAT much.
I don't have a choice, Canadian money isn't worth as much as Yankee-bucks. If I want to own a game new it's $59.99 (on average) +15% sales tax. That's $68.99. Any new 360 game it's $69.99 +15%, $80.49. The Oblivion special edition was $79.99+15%, $91.99.

That's why with console games I rent first, with few exceptions (like Oblivion). Or wait a year or two till I can get them used cheap from Microplay or EB games.

You want a real rub the PS3 will be $599.99 for the basic version and $659.99 for the better one. That's $689.99 or $758.99 just for the system, not counting another $80 for a game. That's why it's a Wii, even with that stupid ass DVD remote, for me.

lars573 said:
I don't have a choice, Canadian money isn't worth as much as Yankee-bucks. If I want to own a game new it's $59.99 (on average) +15% sales tax. That's $68.99. Any new 360 game it's $69.99 +15%, $80.49. The Oblivion special edition was $79.99+15%, $91.99.

That's why with console games I rent first, with few exceptions (like Oblivion). Or wait a year or two till I can get them used cheap from Microplay or EB games.

You want a real rub the PS3 will be $599.99 for the basic version and $659.99 for the better one. That's $689.99 or $758.99 just for the system, not counting another $80 for a game. That's why it's a Wii, even with that stupid ass DVD remote, for me.

Damn and I thought the UK got ripped off :(

What was the entire storyline in chronological order? It seemed to be messed up......

how comes heroes were infected and fine from moment to moment? what character saved/beat who?

what did van rokel want with the heroes?

and were heroes like cap, punisher and hulk killed at the beginning?

what happened to the marvel heroes at the end?

Horrorfan said:
Damn and I thought the UK got ripped off :(
Well one G.B. pound is ~$2.25 Canadian. Still... This, and RTS games, are why I'm still a PC gamer.

Horrorfan said:
What was the entire storyline in chronological order? It seemed to be messed up......

how comes heroes were infected and fine from moment to moment? what character saved/beat who?

what did van rokel want with the heroes?

and were heroes like cap, punisher and hulk killed at the beginning?

what happened to the marvel heroes at the end?

Seeing Hulk die so quickly ticked me off. He is not weak.

Hulk and Dr. Doom should have been in the game.

Why do you always do this HorrorFan? :confused: We get it, ya like crappy games. :down

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"