Sequels Marvel Studios' X-Men?

Jordacar

The Endless One
Reaction score
I have no damn clue where the X-Men movie franchise is gonna go after Apocalypse, although I highly doubt its next stop will be straight back to Marvel.

That said, even if Marvel did reacquire the film rights in the foreseeable future, I'm still not sure exactly what they could or would do with it either.

I remember reading an article not to long ago that suggested the MCU would experience some kind of global event that would cause an influx of mutants to start springing up (older dudes like Chuck and Logan and Magneto would already be around). Beyond that, would we get another movie? Maybe a Netflix show? What do you think?

Business-wise, 20th Century Fox would NEVER let it happen. If Fox isn't giving up the Fantastic Four, what about their precious X-Men? Especially DOFP just crossed the $700 million mark at the box-office.

I have no damn clue where the X-Men movie franchise is gonna go after Apocalypse

Wolverine 3 is set to be released in March 2017. While an untitled "Fox Marvel" film is scheduled for July 13, 2018.

After X-Men Apocalyse they'll press forward with the younger version of the classic characters.

They continue to make each movie unique and fresh and maintain the franchise

After Apocalypse we know there will quickly be another wolverine film beyond
that who knows.Something X-Men related will be coming In 2018 but we have
no idea what it will be.

Fox Isn't going to stop making X-Men films.

DOFP was their attempt to now have it both ways.To reboot series and also
continue exsisting series which gives them opotion of using original cast In
future.

The X-Men are being handled well by Fox right now anyway.

Forget about putting a talking raccoon with a BFG on screen - rebooting the X-Men would be the riskiest thing Feige and company have done since Iron Man. They would be rebooting a well-regarded series that has already been successfully soft rebooted with the First Class franchise. So Marvel would be looking at casting a third Magneto, Professor X, Beast Mystique as well as Storm, Jean and Cyclops post XM:A. Not to mention Hugh Freakin' Jackman.

With Marvel proving they can pull X-Men type box office returns from their solo series and Guardians, they would probably put a full X-Men reboot on the back burner after Inhumans. And since the MCU Inhumans may share an awful lot of similarities with the X-Men, it could be a wee bit redundant to have two sets of "born this way" heroes in the MCU.

So keep the X-Men where they are for now. And free the FF.

Anyone who thinks after DOFP made 744 Million WW that Fox Is going to give up X-Men anytime soon Is crazy.

And about inhumans is report is accurate they can't use name inhumans and original characters.

Oh and fox bought the FF film rights fair and square so there is nothing to free.I don't like certain things I am hearing about Star Wars EPisode VII If they are true but disney bought Lucasfilm so that's there right just like It's in Fox's right to make a reboot of the FF.Time will tell If it's good or if it sucks.

Fox semi rebooted X-Men with DOFP.They did that so they can continue making films.

Anyone who thinks after DOFP made 744 Million WW that Fox Is going to give up X-Men anytime soon Is crazy.
I have no damn clue where the X-Men movie franchise is gonna go after Apocalypse, although I highly doubt its next stop will be straight back to Marvel.
Maybe I should clarify, I know it's not in the cards. I'm more interested in what y'all think an MCU-nified X-Men would even look like.

Spidey and FF are both at a point where going home would be preferred, and it's much easier for the MCU to find room for them. But the X-Men is gonna have a much harder time getting re-integrated, if only because the X-Men mythos on its own is so much more populated and generally unwieldy. And I think most of us would agree that the X-Men are fine where they are and that Fox would be smart to devote all their energy toward keeping that going.

I always had a hard time fathoming the X-Men existing in the Marvel U. The whole mutant issue doesn't feel consistent in a world full of bizarre superheroes, plus as the years progressed, X-Men became such a tonally different thing from the rest of Marvel.

That's in the comics. In the MCU, it's even harder for me to buy it. I hope Marvel will figure it out when the time comes, but I don't see how they could integrate them (and by extension, all the issues that come with them) in the way they set up their universe. Not when SHIELD's been keeping tabs on superhumans worldwide, checking when and if they use their powers. It's an Ultimate concept that worked with mutants in that universe due to SHIELD knowing of their existence since Ultimate's very inception. But in this case, there's been no such mention made. If there was a new species on the rise that could threaten humanity, SHIELD would know about it. There would be a big fuss about it, just like how they reacted to the existence of gods and aliens. Only this time it would be much worse with the threat originating from humans on human soil and growing in numbers.

Sure, SHIELD is now gone. But the existence of mutants would have still been established by them, not necessarily to the public but to SHIELD's top agents and the World Security Council.

Plus with Marvel seemingly trying to fill that void with the Inhumans, they may come off as redundant by then.

I really can't see this happening at all. I mean, if Sinister Six and Black Cat don't get the Spider-Man franchise back on track, I can see that reverting to Marvel. If Fantastic Four fails, then that'll probably also revert.

At the same time, I really don't see the X-Men reverting since the last three films were great and more importantly, all of them turned increasing profits. With Simon Kinberg of DOFP along with the writers of X2 on XMA and Bryan Singer all returning, I don't see that failing either, nor do I see Wolverine 3 or X-Force flopping.

So while Marvel MAY potentially get two out of three leased franchises back, I really can't see them getting the X-Men for the foreseeable future.

Maybe I should clarify, I know it's not in the cards. I'm more interested in what y'all think an MCU-nified X-Men would even look like.

Spidey and FF are both at a point where going home would be preferred, and it's much easier for the MCU to find room for them. But the X-Men is gonna have a much harder time getting re-integrated, if only because the X-Men mythos on its own is so much more populated and generally unwieldy. And I think most of us would agree that the X-Men are fine where they are and that Fox would be smart to devote all their energy toward keeping that going.

I think they could do a crossover film sometime down the line between Fox and Marvel. Maybe as an X-Men 6 and Avengers 5 or something like that (Avengers vs. X-Men?). It could be pitched more or less as a fight between the two teams asking viewers to choose their side but in the end it turns out they need to team up for a common good. Somethin' cheesy ;)

P.S. we need to see Rogue whoop Ms Marvel & co!

Maybe they could do a soft reboot of the MCU down the line? At the end of Phase 3 someone uses the Infinity Gauntlet to simply rewrite the reality of the MCU (or create an alternate universe since comic books have done that constantly) and in this new reality (where they can recast RDJ and several others if they are so inclined) they can integrate mutants into their universe. It'll be like DOFP but not a total overhaul. Just some universe tweaking with some Infinity Gems.

Or they could sorta do a reverse House of M situation where Scarlet Witch says some hex that spontaneously creates super-powered beings? I think if Avengers 2 explains how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch came to be (be it the Terrigen Mists or Infinity Gems or whatever) we might have a clearer way for mutants to be introduced into the MCU.

I think they could do a crossover film sometime down the line between Fox and Marvel. Maybe as an X-Men 6 and Avengers 5 or something like that (Avengers vs. X-Men?). It could be pitched more or less as a fight between the two teams asking viewers to choose their side but in the end it turns out they need to team up for a common good. Somethin' cheesy ;)

P.S. we need to see Rogue whoop Ms Marvel & co!

Marvel is going to have at least four super teams up and running within the next few years with Avengers, Guardians, Defenders and Inhumans. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Runaways and Midnight Sons join the MCU this decade. It makes little sense to crossover the Avengers with the X-Men and have to pay FOX for the privilege when Marvel can do an intra-company mash up and keep the box office receipts in house.

Fox will do a X-Men reboot once this series has run its course.

about the tittle topic, if Marvel had the X-Men back, they do a new version and make it a huge blockbuster like they have done with their lesser characters.

In any case, Im interested in that future reboot, it will be fun to see how many different things they do and what actors Fox choose for the iconic X-Men. And fans will have a great discussion about what character version is better, if the original, the FC one, or the reboot one, will be crazy times :D

I'm wondering if it would be possible to tie in the emergence of mutants to a growing distrust towards paranormal types in general. Things have been relatively above board so far, but a few more world-ending crises and things could turn sour.

Lately I've been reading early X-Factor, and the whole anti-mutant conflict was in full swing there (what with the original team posing as mutant hunters). Sometimes it does get a bit contrived how people's bigotry switch turns on just for them. If you looked out the window of an airplane and saw somebody flying beside it, would you automatically know it was a mutant?

First off, I totally and absolutely agree with everyone else in that THERE IS NO WAY THAT FOX WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO RELINQUISH THE RIGHTS TO THE X-MEN (or Fantastic Four)!

There are many, many, many good stories to tell so they can keep bringing in the millions and millions of dollars that they are and will!

What concerns me is what is happening/will happen with the comics. It seems that marvel is trying not to promote the titles they don't own and are putting more of a focus on the titles that they do own and are using in THEIR movies. For example:

You guys see the X-Men or the Fantastic Four? The idea of not seeing at least Wolverine in any Marvel promo in the past would be absurd. I'm actually surprised that Spidey is still there...

And if the rumors are true then Marvel is actually cancelling the F4 comics?

The point is that it seems that Marvel is playing hardball with Fox, but it won't matter. Fox will never give up the rights.

But if something did happen and Marvel got the rights back I would love to see something like the Secret Wars with characters from the X-Men and F4 in it, which would establish them in the Marvel Universe and open them up for effective reboot movies. Being a traditionalist I would like to see an X-Men reboot and have the actual First Class or the original five. I would love the stories to establish characters like Havok (the YOUNGER brother of Scott) and Polaris. And I would love to see the actual Giant Sized X-Men #1 characters brought in in the right way.

But again, this will never, ever, happen!

^ Comic X-Men should be promoted in areas like general MU promotion, video games, cartoons and merchandise as they have been Marvels most popular team since the Seventies with Wolverine being the #2 flagship character of their entire catalogue. To blackball them in those areas is disrespectful to the property, and it's fans and is just petty.

Movie X-Men, well that's different. It's understandable for Marvel not to promote them.

^ Comic X-Men should be promoted in areas like general MU promotion, video games, cartoons and merchandise as they have been Marvels most popular team since the Seventies with Wolverine being the #2 flagship character of their entire catalogue. To blackball them in those areas is disrespectful to the property, and it's fans and is just petty.

Movie X-Men, well that's different. It's understandable for Marvel not to promote them.

I agree 100% with you but it's pointless to argue about it anymore.It brings too
much conflict.Marvel killing off Wolverine is poential sign how they view X-Men
now adays If this Is a permeant death.

If MS would get their hands on X-Men films,and only way I see that happening
anytime soon would be for Disney to buy Fox,It will probally be cross between
616 and ultimate X-Men MCU,Spider-man,and FF reboot are all doing that.

If Marvel Studios does reacquire the X-Men, I hope they don't have some kind of trigger event that turns on the X-gene. I think it would be more interesting as like an X-file, unexplained phenomenon that has been happening quite often but never recorded. Now, in the information age, its much harder to hide. There should be like a mass reveal that the X-gene exists and they have simply been secret about it for a long time. That could explain a lot of the paranoia towards mutants as opposed to the Avengers. The Avengers put on colorful costumes and put themselves in the public eye. The mutants have been hiding for decades as far as anyone knows.

I was thinking about something similar in Apocalypse. Since they'll be dealing with Ancient Egypt and the First Mutant I hope they don't delve into the origin of the X-Gene. It works best as part of nature and nothing more

They kinda already did delve into it in First Class, saying that the atomic age is what lead to the uptick in the mutant populace, and it was a big part of Shaw's plan to start WW3. The whole "children of the Atom" kinda thing.

I'd love to see an All New X-Men movie from Marvel Studios. I think the original group's idealism and youthfulness would be a perfect fit for the MCU.

That said, even if Marvel did reacquire the film rights in the foreseeable future, I'm still not sure exactly what they could or would do with it either.

I remember reading an article not to long ago that suggested the MCU would experience some kind of global event that would cause an influx of mutants to start springing up (older dudes like Chuck and Logan and Magneto would already be around). Beyond that, would we get another movie? Maybe a Netflix show? What do you think?

This is a great question and it poses a big problem as far as integration. Personally I have no desire to see the Xmen shoehorned into the MCU. I prefer them in their own little universe. I could never accept the idea that mutants have long existed in the current MCU and have been hiding amongst the populace. There's just so many of them. And the themes of prejudice and discrimination sort of get lost in the shuffle in a world where these other superheroes exist.

The only realistic way to do it IMO would to somehow cause an event that would suddenly expose these people having Xgenes previously unheard of and causing massive hysteria. This would cause conflict, discrimination and fear of them out of misunderstanding of whats happening. Not just humans but other superheroes as well. Honestly now that the Inhumans are about to be discovered this still makes little sense.

On the other hand, just let FOX keep them. Better that way.

Last edited:
This is a great question and it poses a big problem as far as integration. Personally I have no desire to see the Xmen shoehorned into the MCU. I prefer them in their own little universe.
On the other hand, just let FOX keep them. Better that way.

agree!
icon14.gif

I think it's best for the X-Men to stay at Fox. Yes, there are a several things Fox can improve upon (like X-Men feeling like a team and a more balanced focus of characters), but the movies have been getting better since First Class, and they've seemingly rectified most of the franchise's past mistakes. I'm looking forward to Apocalypse.

I also don't care to have X-Men back in MCU since, as others said in this thread, they're more of their own universe anyway.

I'm also curious about one other thing: What mutant characters are Marvel allowed to use anyway, or is Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver the only ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"