Marvel's Business

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by iloveclones, Feb 22, 2005.

1. iloveclones spooky....

From the above link. For those curious, sales are up, so far, in 2006 by 12%. I would say the comics industry is happy right now.

2. SpideyInATree Chillin' Like a Villain

Definitely a good thing for the industry. :up: Hopefully some sparks have gone off for some new comic fans and they'll become life long fans.

3. iloveclones spooky....

Saw this on the main page anf thought I'd throw it on here.

4. Ahura Mazda Registered

I am amazed that banks give non-recourse financing to movie studios unless they get first rate mortgages on the real estate o other equivalent collateral.

One thing to note however, with the current rates and based on a margin which I imagine to be close to 110 bps, they are paying 6/6.5% interest cost annually on the debt which has been drawn down. the cost of the facility itself may be in the order of 100 bps.

This is all based on conjecture as I have no plans of going through the notes of their annual reports to analyse this debt facility, which if anyone feels the inclination can do.

5. iloveclones spooky....

Maybe you could explain what bps and non-recourse financing is to those of us who have trouble balancing our checkbook. :O

Actually, Ahura, I would love for some of you of a more "business" type to comment on some of this stuff. DBM used to from time to time, but I haven't seen much of him lately (probably somewhere counting all his money, women, and cars. Bastard :cool: )

6. Ahura Mazda Registered

bps = basis points

A basis point is the equivalent of a 100th of a percentage point. Therefore a 100 bps equates to 1% so if I say 100 bps over 6 month Libor I am staing 1%+ 6 month Libor.

Definition of Non recourse

A type of loan that is secured by collateral, which is usually property. If the borrower defaults, the issuer can seize the collateral, but cannot seek out the borrower for any further compensation, even if the collateral does not cover the full value of the defaulted amount. This is one instance where the borrower does not have personal liability for the loan.

Most funds that operate use non recource financing to finance the acquisition of property meaning the bank has claims over the property in case you default the loan but have no claims over your other operations.

In any case, that is the way, my fund operates.

And I will try and comment from time to time but my commentary is purely conjecture as educated commentary would require further research into marvel's 10k (annual financial report) and other filings as well as equity research documents.

7. iloveclones spooky....

You've just described every single comment ever made on the internet.

8. Ahura Mazda Registered

Yes I guess your statement is pretty accurate and mine was unneccessary :D