Marvel's September 2013 Solicitations

Me too! By this time I've tried a bunch of things and settled on the stuff I really like, aside from maybe two titles that I'm still testing.

And I don't see the problem in having three events this year. Age of Ultron is easily skippable. Infinity is an Avengers event, so if you like what Hickmen's been doing than you shouldn't have a problem with this story. And the X-men have always had mini-events. Two issues from four different titles doesn't affect me at all, since I already read them.

I see a problem with multiple events when they all have to have long lasting ramifications across the board like AoU is.

For me it's budget issues. Marvel's strategy regarding massive events, double-shippings, and $4 and sometimes $5 price tags force me to stop buying titles that I'm enjoying. My buying is maxed out. If Marvel double-ships two of my favorite titles, that's fun for that book, but that's also 2 other comics I have to drop or skip for that month. And being that they double-ship at least 3 of my titles a month, I've had to drop a lot of books. Now they're doing all these events on top of each other and that's forcing me to drop more to make room for them.

So it isn't Marvel's characters or universe... I love those... it's the way the company runs their comics. You can't just buy a title by itself... it's impossible... or plan a budget around the titles you want because you never know what's tieing in to what and what's shipping how many times when. It's very frustrating. Also, a lot of the behind the scenes guys come across like jerks, and that's very off putting.

These types of events are what drove me away from a lot of books. I used to read at least ten marvel books a month, now I'm down to Daredevil, Uncanny X-force and Deadpool. I was almost about to pick up X-men, but now that it ties in to COTA, I'm glad I didn't jump on. These days it's all or nothing with Marvel and I'm happy just reading the fringe books.

For me it's budget issues. Marvel's strategy regarding massive events, double-shippings, and $4 and sometimes $5 price tags force me to stop buying titles that I'm enjoying. My buying is maxed out. If Marvel double-ships two of my favorite titles, that's fun for that book, but that's also 2 other comics I have to drop or skip for that month. And being that they double-ship at least 3 of my titles a month, I've had to drop a lot of books. Now they're doing all these events on top of each other and that's forcing me to drop more to make room for them.

So it isn't Marvel's characters or universe... I love those... it's the way the company runs their comics. You can't just buy a title by itself... it's impossible... or plan a budget around the titles you want because you never know what's tieing in to what and what's shipping how many times when. It's very frustrating. Also, a lot of the behind the scenes guys come across like jerks, and that's very off putting.
This.

These types of events are what drove me away from a lot of books. I used to read at least ten marvel books a month, now I'm down to Daredevil, Uncanny X-force and Deadpool. I was almost about to pick up X-men, but now that it ties in to COTA, I'm glad I didn't jump on. These days it's all or nothing with Marvel and I'm happy just reading the fringe books.
And this.

I also tend not to enjoy the event/crossover books as much. Even if I like the stories, they often feel like their length has been padded (for example, Messiah Complex and Second Coming did not warrant 13-14 issues). Sometimes, the timing of a tie-in hurts the pace of an ongoing's main story (like when Remender's Secret Avengers had one arc before its AvX tie-in, which had nothing to do with the any of the plot points set up in that opening arc). And the characterizations in event books are almost never as good as those developed in one continuous series (e.g. Civil War compared to Captain America or Iron Man at the time).

I'm sure he was saying both but honestly, it was a "dead man walking" once Gillen left.
Which is a damn shame in itself. Kathryn Immonen had a bit of a slow start with Sif, but she's been doing a fantastic job since about halfway through that first arc. She finally addressed the long-dangling issue of Sif's general disdain for humanity, which is what kept her and Thor apart for so long, and had her settling in on Earth and coming to learn that humans aren't so different from the gods. The current arc with Beta Ray Bill has been gloriously awkward, too. I'm gonna miss the hell out of JIM. :csad:

Which is a damn shame in itself. Kathryn Immonen had a bit of a slow start with Sif, but she's been doing a fantastic job since about halfway through that first arc. She finally addressed the long-dangling issue of Sif's general disdain for humanity, which is what kept her and Thor apart for so long, and had her settling in on Earth and coming to learn that humans aren't so different from the gods. The current arc with Beta Ray Bill has been gloriously awkward, too. I'm gonna miss the hell out of JIM. :csad:

I'm sure it was still good but I had to drop it with all of the other NOW stuff that was coming out at the time. I figured it was perfect timing since I planned on getting Thor, Young Avengers and multiple Avengers books.

runawayboulder - Journey Into Mystery = TheCorpulent1 - Uncanny X-Force

Oh, yes I did. I went there.

Though I will say, this new arc with Beta Ray Bill has me interested. I might check it out eventually.

I never read X-Force. You ditched Journey Into Mystery. Your betrayal runs deeper. :argh:

Sorry, thought you were boulder for a sec. He's the one who ditched JIM.

I can see where you got confused. We're like brothers in a way. We whine at each other a lot :)

But how has the new arc been? Is it fairly stand alone? I love Beta Ray Bill but haven't really followed him much since Godkiller (or whatever that mini was called). I'm considering picking it up.

Yeah, it's self-contained. It basically starts with Gaea getting sick in the first issue. There are references to stuff that happened at the end of Godhunter and in the Sif one-shot from a couple years back, but Immonen does a good job of giving new readers a quick breakdown. Suffice it to say that Sif and Bill are not on the best terms, since they're kinda-sorta exes.

I can see where you got confused. We're like brothers in a way. We whine at each other a lot :)

tumblr_m8ra8hLX5G1qe86pbo1_500.jpg

:up:

Sorry, thought you were boulder for a sec. He's the one who ditched JIM.

Sorry pal, not everyone is balls to the wall for Thor stuff like you are. If it makes you feel any better, when I dropped JiM, I started buying the main Thor series again and followed Gillen and Kid Loki to Young Avengers.

Well until the day you read, accept and then love Uncanny X-Force I don't want to hear any more out of you! :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"